• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Should I pass up this old 800?

The "new" 520stfm got here today and works like a champ, except for the floppy drive. It has the same symptoms of the externals so I'll reseat the chip and see what happens. The terminal cart worked great in it though I didn't try to connect to anythign yet. I haven't had a chance to get a normal fdd worked on YET cause of school, work and doc's appt's (not mine, my wife's). Not that I resent any of it, but it keeps me away from my hardware. Well, maybe i resent work a little heh heh.

Thanks Terry!

Man, give me a little time and I can actually get things going! The ic extractor came in and I was able to reseat the chip for the fdd controller (stfm machine). The 360k drive in it still didn't work. Bad belt. I set it aside and hooked up the epson drive that I have and it worked! WOOHOO! I have a floppy drive workign in it! 720k baby!! I read and wrote to disk and it works great. Now I just have to figure out how to make it sit in the case right or make it external. It sits low in the case, so the slot doesn't line up, the button is covered by the plastic of the case. When I moved I packed up all my dremel bits so they're in a box somewhere (shoulda gotten them out by now). The cable was short and I couldn't make it work like that so now I have two feet of cable folded up in the case from an extension that I found for some kidn of tape drive. I also found a seller online that has both another epson smd340 drive and a replacement keyboard for the original st all for $20 shipped.

It has been a good day :D

Nathan

I got the keyboard and drive yesterday and put it in the ST. Works like a charm and the sticker on the floppy drive, "Atari Service Center" is just SOOO cool. I didn't realise how bad the keyboard on my st was. This one is brand new-old stock and looks and feels great. A lot like the STFM (Kudos to Terry!)

Back