• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any Compaq guys here

alexkerhead

Veteran Member
In my collection, I have a compaq portable III, it is my favorite vintage unit.
PIC00001%7E8.jpg

PIC00002%7E0.jpg

PIC00003%7E10.jpg

PIC00004%7E11.jpg

PIC00007.jpg

I think this unit is by far the coolest ever.
I have Windows 2.03 Running on it's 40MB HDD.
Anyone else have a compaq portable?

I have a Comapq Portable 386 that looks exactly like that. My hard drive controller in it is bad, but other than that Its fine. I just have to run it off DOS disks. Which I have no problem with. There isin't anything fun in my expantion unit though, anything in yours other than extra RAM?

-Vlad

Not yet, but being a 16-bit isa expansion, I plan on adding an original sound blaster, and a 1200baud modem.
Are you sure the hdd controller is bad? maybe the hard disk is not configured right, or possibly the hdd is bad?
HDD controllers dont go bad very often.
If it is bad, maybe you could put one in the expansion unit, and cut holes out and run the cables to the drives. If the hdd controller is bad, it wont matter to cut it up a bit, you wouldn't see it though.

Yeah, the HD controller is shot. My CP 386 came to me in several parts scattered all over. I had to re-assemble it, so I'm lucky it works at all. Disk wise I have 2 full sets of the disks for a Compaq Portable 386 that came with it. Their 2 different versions though on 5 1/4 floppies. A long time ago I had a floppy imaging project in the works, but that kinda fell through. I will hopefully get it going again and make downloadable images of them. As for my expantion unit, I just have a VGA graphics card of some sort and a COM port card. I'd like to swap the VGA card for something else, but I'm not sure what. I might try to use it for a serial terminal or something. I also have a largeish Zenith portable but I think It might have died due to age :(

-V

Yeah, I don't think I want to go that route though. I have a bunch of other computers I can use for different things. I kinda like running it off the DOS disks. It just seems to fit the look of it.

-V

vlad said:
Yeah, I don't think I want to go that route though. I have a bunch of other computers I can use for different things. I kinda like running it off the DOS disks. It just seems to fit the look of it.

-V
awww, come on, that baby was made to run off hard disk.
If you need a controller, just pm me.

I'd really rather leave it like it is. Cutting holes in it doesin't really appeal to me. I like it they way it is. For what it's been through, its lucky to function at all. I was suprised I could even reasemble it.

-V

USSEnterprise said:
kind of off the topic, but what types of expansion cards can be used in the Compaq Portable II?
I know there are five isa slots, and three are free, but I do not know if they are 8-bit or 16-bit, I would assume they are 8-bit.

Anyone have a spare frontpiece keyboard for the CP. I acquired my 286 in a thrift without the K-B altho I did manage to find a regular one that works with it. (most regular k-b connectors are too big to fit in that recessed slot)).

Lawrence

Back