• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

life simulation program

jjzcp

Experienced Member
I am planning to write a life simulation program. I got the idea from a old mactech magazine, and thought it would be fun. I am going to write the program in C.This program is why i needed a random function. It will simulate a city. It will factor in death, growth, population, disasters, and finances. Please give your thoughts on this project, and let me know if there is anything else you think i should factor in.

USSEnterprise wrote:

> So you are re-writing Sim City in your own code?

Certainally sounds like it, but 'am unsure if Sim City uses
the Algorithms which are used to Simulate the life game -
which has been going on for a lot longer than things like Sim
City.

"Life" is a funny game, when I first layed my eyes on it back
in 1989 I thought it was some kinda Graphical demo. Funnily
enough it was at that period when peoople were writing fairly
decent versions of life - using Graphics, earlier ones would
have been text based - with perhaps the occasional graphical.
The first version I saw of it on my Amstrad CPC was a BASIC
program which loaded in the Machine Code - essentually it was
the M/C which was running the Life program! :)

But yeah, the idea of Life was creating cells & producing
combinations using cells & a seeing what lasted longest.

Cheers,
CP/M User.

I am kind of rewriting sim city. The first versions of the game won't have a GUI. Also, my game will probably have two or three different organisms (including humans), each with their own strength's and weaknesses. I would then make them enemies, and watch to see who wins. One big difference in my game compared to Sim City is that the computer controls the organizms, not a person.

I just started today, and mabye in a month or so, i might have something. I'd work on it more, but it's calving season, and i have to do more work than usuall on the farm. I am starting with the econemy side of the game then start on AI, and so forth.

Whatever you do, make up the game rules and playing mechanism first on "paper". Simulate either with a simple program or even dice, and when you are certain you know how to set up the game, start programming. Otherwise, you may in the best case end up with a confusing, but playable game. In the worst case, you may quit it all. This is meant as kind advice.

Thanks. I found this out the hard way, when i wrote a tic-tac-toe all at once on the computer. It was a very "dumb" program, and was very, very sloppy.

Involving my present project, tonight i got a little bit further in creating the characters (example: villager, soldier), and developed an x,y grid for the map.

Excellent. In Tic-tac-toe at least you know the gameplay on beforehand, while designing a completely new game from ideas in your head will require thinking out the gameplay a bit. I also have something similar to what you're doing in my head, and have considered formalizing it into game rules and get programming for almost two years, but I'm too lazy to even begin.

I to am lazy when it comes to programming. I fainly got around to working on it again this long weekend, and i am about 1/3-1/2 done. I still have to finish developing the buildings, test the X,Y map to make sure it is in working order, and try and split my soldiers up into groups, and give them each their own territory to patrol. I also have some verious things to do, but they are to boring to explain.

Back