• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ibm 5511

I found this little unit at the local trash and treasure:

http://www.pbase.com/sinisterdragon/ibm_5511

I figured the AU $20 asking price was worth the "risk". Having inspected the unit I am in the dark about just what it is though. 8088 based system, with the Fdd's shown, lots of interesting conections at the back. NOT an XT though.

If anyone has some info or could tell me a bit about the system I'd apreciate it, my first basic web searchs have not revealed anything useful.

Thanks for listening, hope to hear from you all soon....

The Sinister Dragon

From what I've found it's the big brother of the PC jr.
M. Brutman a moderator here and also the proprietor of the PCjr site should be weighing in before long.

It's better known as the IBMJX. From what I could find only released in Japan and Australia.

Lawrence

Lawrence pinned it correctly - that is a JX.

The JX was a more advanced version of the PCjr for the Asia-Pacific market. It used 3.5" 720KB diskette drives instead of 5.25s. The circuitry is basically the same, but constructed using slightly more advanced techniques. (i.e.: More planes in the motherboard, more ASICs, etc.) Expansion options are much better - yours has an expansion chassis with a 5.25" drive on it, which was no doubt inspired by 3rd party solutions for the PCjr. IBM also offered a hard disk and other floppy options as well.

It does have the cartridge slots and the few other things that make it a Jr.

For more detail, look for a JX thread at micro-zone.com. Sorry about the plug, but that's a PCjr specific message board and I really don't want to cut & paste from it.

I have a PCjr BASIC cartridge just laying around Peter. It's yours if you want to pay the shipping (from New Jersey). I wouldn't know if it's compatible or not.

Thanks for the feedback one and all. This at least gives me some idea of what the computer is, I'll look around for some more info now that I have a clue at least. I'm not sure if the thing works or not, I dont have anything other than the box. I'll have to look out for info on the keyboard and monitor. At least I now know it's worth keeping, I'll even spend some time cleaning it up and giving the case some needed repair before I put it in safe storage. twenty bucks well spent I would say.......

Thye Sinister Dragon

Back