• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

software for 5150/5160

Oh yeah, Commander Keen. The first two-or-three versions were shareware & CGA-compatible. IIRC, Scorched Earth requires VGA, & I'm not sure what the minimum processor is, the oldest I've run it on was a '486.

--T

But I'm not talking about Intel 386 or 486 boxes. There were an incredible variety of very functional programs that could be used on XTs as well as some pretty cool games such as "Commander Keene" or Tetrus. Somewhere I have a 3-dimensional chess game, and many other programs which were usually "Buttonware", freeware, or postcardware programs, many of which surpassed the big software companies products for many of the later processors. One such I've used since Dos days is CMFiler a much more capable Norton Commander type of progam which still unbelievably works even on W98. Then of course there was DR's GEM, Framework, Deskview, and Deskmate and many others including an Ashton Tate program which I can't recall but had a WP, DB, and a good graphics program.

It is becoming harder to find these programs but many of them are still out there, many times in european archives.
And some of course in my BBS hungry downloads. Some of them on disk I have. I do slack. :^{ Beat me, beat me.

XTs were really exciting for the time and it's our own fault that we burden them with so many of the tedius business programs that> I B M < called forth. What was so wonderous about an XT with Dos 2.1 ,WP , and Lotus 123 ? Except to accountants. That wonderful class of "bean-counters" who were only of interest to corporations or IBM.

But there were some visionaries who saw it's possible use in the world of ordinary people.

Lawrence

canuck46, DOS older than 3.00 WON'T format 20 Meg partition. Try to make 2 partitions. It's normal, I tried to enter 40 Mb disk in my 386 from portable with DOS 3.30 and it said: "Invalid media disk..." (something like that :p). 3.30 support up to 32 Meg drives. So 2.10 won't format 20 Meg partition, I don't know if it will format 2 10 Mb partitions, but try it.

Last edited:
I think DOS 3.30 was the first DOS that could make extended partitions. DOS 3.0 could see a single hard drive up to 32MB in size, so it's probably easiest just to go with some 3x version.

I use MS-DOS 3.31 (no that's not a typo) on my old 8088's, so I can have a single partition up to about 512MB.

I think there is a terminology problem.

DOS 3.3 is the first DOS to allow you to use extended partitions as extra DOS drive letters. While even DOS 1.0 has partition support, it only allows you to have one drive letter as you can't see the other non-active primary partitions and it does not support extended partitions. Same thing for all DOS versions up to 3.3.

OK, then sorry. If I understood, when I want to make second partition only one will be visible and if I want to change partition I must change atvive one in FDisk?

Could anyone please tell me how to quit Lotus 1-2-3 properly? :p

Google is your friend.

Also, if you have a question that Google can not provide an answer for and it is not related to any current thread, start a new thread.

Yeah, that works, tnx :) Sorry for not asking Google but you all, I thought it was a simple quick question instead of 15 minutes of searching through Google pages.

There were an incredible variety of very functional programs that could be used on XTs as well as some pretty cool games such as "Commander Keene" or Tetrus.

I've collected a great deal of those programs here, if you're curious: ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/xtfiles.rar

The games directory has a special "TECH" subdirectory which has games that are notable for being programmed especially well, using hardware or programming tricks, etc. Not all of the games in the TECH directory are fun to play, but all of them are impressive from some coding standpoint.

Back