• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The Personal Side of old computers

Micom 2000

Veteran Member
I haven't bought many of the newer computers offered at yard sales and such. Newer in my terms are those less than a P-1 DOS beast. But moons ago I gobbled up many computers in thrift stores. Occasionally there would such as on one laptop that chronicled a love affair between a NA radio figure and a Hungarian freedom fighter.

Others would occasionally have interesting assembly programs and the owners attempts at writing them.
Most of the PCs, XTs and 386s tho contained the usual round of boring Lotus, WP or Wordstar, and sometimes a DB program. It wasn't considered that we might use that for our own personal gain.

The usual P-R thing with collectors was that we wiped any sort of personal info without mentioning that we would have to read it to determine the personal nature of it.

Never-the-less it could at times be exciting to deduce the nature of the previous owner.

I bought a P-1 at a yard sale yesterday for $10 figgering I could always use it's peripherals. It has W95 on it, a 3meg drive partitioned into 2, and I imagine a minimal amount of memory.

The immediate dicovery was the Nowness of it. The "MY' scam of MS$ had taken a personal turn so the file manager was labelled "Bobbies" Computer. Most of it had MP3s and other such. It reflected a new generation of computer users.

I must admit to having a somewhat humorously superior attitude to many of our younger members, just as I'm sure they have of the stupid "Old Farts" who really don't have a clue as to the newest developments and their importance. But I do believe we can coexist since you've already conceded there were many early developments which anticipated or surpassed many of the newer gee-whiz things being peddled by the corporate marketeers.

All this from a yard-sale. Wowza !

Lawrence

I'm one of the younger ones here at 23, and those new systems bore the heck out of me, because they are so much like what I've already got at home. The fun stuff for me are the older PC's (486 on back), where everything was sub-$2000.00, experimental, and you could buy 2 computers with 2 cases from the same manufactuerer and assembler and they both have little things that make them just a little different, and stuff like that. But then my computer experience started at 8 on a Tandy 1000 SX with a copy of Microsoft Adventure, which is farther back than most other 23 year olds I know.

I still remember being 11 and thinking Packard Bell was the proverbial "shiznit" because they had computers with FM Radios and T.V. Tuners on them, now I look at that as plain silly, but fun to look back on, as I can achieve the same results with an LCD monitor, and the Radio has nothing that interests me anymore (ever been laughed out of a request for a Europe song, not cool). Most of the machines I collect are not for value, but mostly to try and hop em' up into what would have been a $10,000 machine in it's time.

Hm, I grew up with a Packard Bell, & I could always hear a radio signal very dimley in the speakers mounted on the monitor. I always thought it was just static interference; I didn't realize that PB's made computers with tuners in them...

atari2600a said:
Hm, I grew up with a Packard Bell, & I could always hear a radio signal very dimley in the speakers mounted on the monitor. I always thought it was just static interference; I didn't realize that PB's made computers with tuners in them...

They did, I have one of those cards, they were made by Reveal, and a part of the "Multimedia By Packard Bell" Machines, which were all mid-size LPX 486 machines. They also had a couple different TV tuner cards, I have one of those too, which was made by phillips.

They might have, the time period was right for it, since most of the 486's I've seen/heard of have them, I and I know their Pentium 1 systems could have as well.

Back