• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Changing boot logo on Win2k

atari2600a

Veteran Member
(Sorry, don't know where else to ask! :D)

I'm trying to change the boot screen on Windows 2000 (SP4). All I could find after an hour of googling are tutorials for changing it with SP2 & below. So...here's what I've done so far:

-Copied NTOKRNL.EXE & renamed it something else
-replaced the bitmap file within the copied one with a 640X480 16-color one I made
-modified boot.ini to boot with the new file

...& It still uses the regular boot screen. I've heard that it is possible to modify the boot logo w/ Service Pack 4, but I can't find instructions how!

Seeing the amount of overclockers & modders & ex-RS employees here, I figured someone here should know the awnser! :p

That is a very, very sensitive part of the OS, I'd leave it alone. You can destroy a system playing with that. NTOSKRNL.EXE really IS the core of the OS, if you screw that up, its done...... Just leave it alone, Microsoft doesn't let you change that for a reason. And it also breaks the EULA, not a good thing......

-VK

Well of course that's why it's a copy :D

..& even If I do break the one I'm using now, I can just boot using the untouched one I have! Here's my boot.ini so you guys can see what I'm talking about:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 HaXXn\ed Edition" /fastdetect /KERNEL=NTOSKRNL1.EXE
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (untouched)" /fastdetect

Thanks! Turns out the name of the Kernel copy was just 1 bit too long! Works now!

...I should really consider revising the image though:

bowser.bmp

(With a 10GB hard drive & a PIII 533 (at 620 :p), there's not much room for PhotoShop CS2 :p)

vlad said:
That is a very, very sensitive part of the OS, I'd leave it alone. You can destroy a system playing with that. NTOSKRNL.EXE really IS the core of the OS, if you screw that up, its done...... Just leave it alone, Microsoft doesn't let you change that for a reason. And it also breaks the EULA, not a good thing......

-VK
If its done correctly, though, it won't screw things up. As for the EULA, to hell with it. Do you really think MS cares if you change the boot screen? Its not like it threatens their business in any way. There's a program called bootskin that will change the image for you automatically.

Tried bootskin, I think it sucked. I'm pretty satisfied w/ the custom boot logo I have now. (as seen above)

...Well, this is sweet! Even w/ 10GB, I manage to get Win2K w/ a custom boot screen on, & Ubuntu Linux!

How can you tell it's pirated? WHO TOLD Y--I mean, what pirated copy of Windows 2000? Don't see one here!

If you mean the HaXXn\ thing, I did that myself, seing I needed to tell the difference between the Kernels.

Convert to RGB and then convert back to indexed colour. Enter the number of preferred colours: a 4-bit picture equals 16 colours. Select which kind of colour optimization and dither you want, and voila you have reduced the number of colours.

help

help

hmm i did the exact same thing that atari did and for some reason it wont work. i mean, when the computer turns on it lets me chose between
windows 2000 hacker edition and
windows 2000 professional edition.
but either way its the same original picture.
can anyone help

Make sure the copied kernel is a maximum of 8 characters long; 12345678.EXE

Any longer & it won't get recognized & windows will use the default kernel.

EDIT: Can you post your boot screen?

Here's mine!

nesboot.bmp

(Now you can see why I'm trying to use PhotoShop instead of MS-Paint!)

Last edited:
this is what i have in the boot.ini file.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Hacked Edition" /fastdetect/KERNEL=KERNEL1.EXE
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

for the picture, since i thought that was the problem i put the browser u had. and it still wont work.

carlsson said:
Convert to RGB and then convert back to indexed colour. Enter the number of preferred colours: a 4-bit picture equals 16 colours. Select which kind of colour optimization and dither you want, and voila you have reduced the number of colours.

Just tried it, semi-didn't work. As before, PS wouldn't save it as a 4-bit Bitmap, only 8-bit & above. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Atari, do you have any interest in vintage computers, or do you just like hanging out with this group of people?

Really, I just had Google search for the phrase "windows 2000 boot screen" and it came up with 98 hits. It shouldn't be this hard for you.

Back