• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WANTED: Big ol' BLACK AND WHITE monitor

Radius? I'd expect there was a number of different B&W monitors, interfaces and scan rates, e.g. a B&W Sun monitor might not be easily adaptable for a Mac or any PC graphics adapter (Hercules? MDA?).

...for the description you gave, it sounds like you're looking for a VGA connection on teh monitor. On an older Mac (one w/o a VGA connection), you'd have 1' of adapters coming out of the back of the machine! :p (Mac-to-VGA-to-(CGA?))

There were commercially available B&W VGA monitors that were quite nice, but as was already stated here, adapting them and them even being compatible at all are serious issues that you probably won't be able to easily overcome for the disparate systems you mentioned.

almost any of those old b & w workstation monitors can be made to work with a Mac, and with extra stuph, a pc too, but only in one resolution. There are issues occasionally, some are touchy (need a sync pulse of a certain width or whatever). Most have horizontal scans of between 60 - 75 khz (not hz, we're not talking about refresh rates here aka vertical scanning frequencies). If I had to, I'd use it with a vintage Mac with a high-res board.

and I also have SGIs and Sun boxes now too, so in reality what I wind up finding (hopefully!) would plug right into those.
I really haven't seen mention of any anywhere these past few years. As hard to find as vintage "workstations".

B&W Apple monitor

B&W Apple monitor

How about a Radius Two Page Display/20gs, working? Also have lots of other old Mac stuff from a defunct older business. IIfx. Quadra 840s. SCSI peripherals, cables, terminators (including IIfx black ones). Apple Video - VGA adapters.

One possibility

One possibility

Are you still looking for that monitor?

How about taking a big 'ol color monitor and wiring it so that RGB are driven evenly,
so that it shows black and white (or unevenly for black/green, black/amber
or whatever)

(I have a Color Hitachi 21 inch that does 1600 x 1200 at 76 Hz. I would be willing to
make a cable to use it for B&W use, if the sync rate is suitable.)

Back