• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How many WORKING computers do you have?

How many computers do I have? Oh geeze.....

Epson Equity LT (NEC V20 Laptop, 20m hdd)
IBM AT
Compaq Portable
Epson Apex+ (Cheap 8088 from 1987)
Apple Lisa
Macintosh Plus
3x Macintosh SEs
2x Macintosh SE 30
Several power macs
333mhz iMac
new in box IBM PS/2 50 system
2x PS/2 model 50s
2x PS/2 model 50z, with reply 486slc
2x PS/2 model 80
PS/2 model 77s
PS/2 model 70 (I think?), with an IBM 386 to 486 upgrade board
Several assorted Pentium machines
HP NetServer XLe (what a beast! Quad PPro200s, 12x 4.3gb hard disks!)
Compaq ProLiant 1600
Several AMD Athlon 800s
Sony Viao Athlon 1.0
Dell Optiplex GX110 (this hosts compu85.homeip.net)
Dell Inspiron 600m
AMD Athlon XP 2200

I think there may be more? It gets hard to remember sometimes. I have most of them in a spreadsheat on the Lisa.

-Jason

It's the small form factor desktop version:

10.jpg

I did install the CPU fan assembly from a GX150, the one from the 110 didn't work as well because there wasn't a lot of space between the fan on the top of the heatsink, and the top of the machine. The GX150 cooler has the fan on the side. I also built an air shroud out of packing tape so the cooler vents right out the back. This also sucks more cool air over the hard disk. :)

-J

lol the school that my son goes to uses these computers. They're everywhere in that school :cool:

We had one of those come into our shop, it was retired from the DoD.
The hard drive was blank though, their not any fun.....

-VK

my GX 110 is the "Fatboy" Desktop case that many other Optiplexes have used over the years. It has two 5.25 bays, a removable expansion slot module( pretty cool, i can yank this out and work with my PCI cards away from the rest of the machine) and loads of room inside.

NathanAllan said:
Okay, "vintage," and I guess not missing any vital parts.

Three.

Toshiba T1200
" Satellite 100CS, 75mhz
" Satellite Pro 460CDT, 166mhz

I have more but they're missing parts (Main machine, HAL with a 1.2ghz and a dying hdd so I took it out of service while I can still transfer the data, Atari 520ST(M), NEC Versa V 50mhz, Fujitsu Stylistic 500, 50mhz 486)

I've had to thin out my collection quite a bit cause of the small apartment. All of the Mac's, C=XX's, desktops and handhelds are gone. I'm not really a collector anyway.
I had forgotten I had posted to this thread! Things sure have changed since January, sheesh. But I still only have three vintage machines that meet the 10-year rule.

I like "obsolete," since it usually translates into cheap to free and still works but isn't shiny anymore(or fixable). And isn't it funny when someone that has a 'junk' computer that's obsolete and braggs about it's uselessness changes tone when you express an interest? "Oh, it's a real piece of junk." Oh yeah? I'll give you five bucks for it. "Are you kidding? It still works! Give me $50! I mean, you can do... blah blah blah." (speaking of an old 386 desktop).

I can see selling something for worth but if you say one thing then switch, to me that's just not cool.

Nathan

4 Sparcstation 20s of various configurations
1 Sparcserver 1000 (And another I am using for spares so not working)
1 Sparcstation 5
2 Sparcstation IPC
1 Sparcstation 2
2 Sparcstation 1
1 CBM 64
1 VIC 20
1 Amiga 1200
1 BBC Master Micro
1 Spectrum 48
1 Spectrum 48+
1 Spectrum +2
1 Spectrum +3 (Although the disk drive on this needs looking at)
1 Amstrad 1512 HD20

I also have an ultra 5 which is really borderline, and various no-name PCs

although I may be drifting off topic here, how much, and for what do you use the Ultra 5. A dude sole me a low end model dirt cheap. I have yet to do anything with it. Is it fun?

Ugh. Working? Sheesh...

-P2-400 running Gentoo (yeah, it's painful to install, but rather quick after 2 weeks of compiling KDE)
-K6-2 380 with a slim install of FreeBSD. This is my current workstation, since my girlfriend took over my P2-400. Bitch :p
-P-120 with FreeBSD heartily routing packets to and fro. Also serves as a networked floppy drive and generic network whore. Hosts http://lsdmt.ath.cx and a few shells.
-C64 that I can't get video out of, due to reasons unknown.
-Mac Classic (B&W). I need to get copy of OS6 on floppy to get this going again. My 1st real computer!
-4x 486 class machines (most of these have installs of either slackware or some BSD)
-3x 386 class machines (same as above, just even slower)
-Toshiba 3100e luggable with FreeDOS

I have several Pentium Pro (586) class machines that have major problems with ACPI and newer kernels. These are typicaly already parted out.

Nonworking, well, let's just say I have a leaning tower of parts that goes to the 10 foot ceiling and is about 4x4 feet in area. It's a work of art.

Hm, it seems I never posted which computers I own. At the moment, it looks like this:

2x VIC-20 (one original, one CR model)
2x Commodore 64 (one breadbox, one C64C)
1x Amiga 500+ (2 MB and extra floppy drive)
1x Amiga 1200 (expanded to 50 MHz '030, 6 MB RAM and 800 MB HDD)
1x Atari Portfolio
1x Acorn BBC Master Compact
1x Macintosh LC475 (8 MB RAM and 40 (?) MB HDD)
1x Pentium 200MMX (currently 40 MB, no longer in use)
1x AthlonXP 2000+ (ECS chipset w/ integrated Xabre200)

Thus no video games and only two clearly non-vintage computers, although some would argue that '030 and '040 systems don't belong there.

Peripherals worth mentioning
2x Commodore 1541-II
1x Commodore 1581 (w/ the first revision buggy ROM)

Apart from those, I have the living room full of other computers (PET etc) but I'm in the middle of trading those and haven't decided which ones I will keep to my collection.

The majority of my systems are working (there are 215 "systems" in the list, but it's a mix of computers, videogames, handhelds and LCD devices): http://www.billandchristina.com/vgamecomp/systems.htm

Of the computer stuff, from that list, what I remember, all that's not in reasonable functioning condition is one of the Coleco Adams, one of the Commodore 128's, one of the Tandy Model 4P's and one of the TI-994/a's. A few other systems have minor problems, like one of the C-64's, for instance, with a glitchy graphics display.

Those of you who own 50+ (or in Bill's case 200+) different systems, do you mention that when foreign people from time to time asks the question "so, how many computers do you have at home"? I get that question reasonably often, and I'm barely making 10 if I count spare machines. Yet people roll their eyes.

Back