• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Auctions and liability and such...

Chris2005

Banned
Hey, would anyone happen to know if I'd be liable for using the name of a computer's original owner? Say this person worked for such and such a company, and who's name is significant enough that it shows up in google searches. Is it any sort of infringement to use this person's name, even though it shows up on a few bill of sales, and even on the outside of the shipping carton? I'm not sure I should even bother, but the person was significant. Maybe no one would know or care...

I'd suggest not doing it. There's not enough upside to cover the downside risks.

If the name comes up in a search, perhaps you could find contact info, and ask them yourself (or thier estate). I don't think it's a problem tho, depending on how famous the person is. I mean, if I had a pair of earings that were verifiably worn by Marilyn Monroe, I'm sure the association with the celebrity would add significantly to the value of the item.

--T

If you have proof it was owned by somebody and you came into that item in a legal manner (and have a recept for it) then no problems.

Not sure about the contents of the HD (if it is a computer) like lets say the lady who owned it forgot to erase the last harry potter book she was writing before upgrading to a new DELL and you leaked it I would think you would be in trouble.

that's how I feel. It actually belonged to 2 eh significant people (depending on who you talk to I guess). There names are on bills of sales and whatnot. Not that it's that big a deal, but it's a significant vintage haul, and if I auction it, which I aim to do (need the money) perhaps it will enhance the value.

Mebbe you could get away with saying sum'n like 'once owned by someone famous', an have prospective bidders email you for details. At least then it wouldn't be publicly posted.

--T

Just put it on the auction, I can't see it as a problem. I've seen cars for sale once owned by celebrities, so why not a vintage computer?

Back