• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What should I do with this?

bbcmicro

Veteran Member
Atari's topic on his forum to 'rival' Eriks got me thinking. My forum has been out of use for nearly a year now, but i still keep it even though it is empty because of the amount of time I put into making and designing it. I have decided that it is no use to anyone that way and I am looking for something to do with it. It was once an RPG forum, of which I quickly grew weary and the organisation was a feat in itself and required all my attention on the little time I had on the internet. Plus I saw myself walking the path to 'Anorak' and speaking intirely in elvish or klingon and buying replica swords from LOTR. Thankfully I stopped before I came too close.

I don't want it to be a computing forum, we already have one of those and I am hardly knowledgable in this field.

So, I am stuck with something I dont want to get rid of,
but have no use for and it is lingering in the back of my mind. If you think of something really good, but I have no time for, you can have it if I trust you with it.

Here is the URL:

www.frakninstapo.proboards26.com

PS/I now realise that I have become a different kind of anorak, a bit of a computer 'nerd' so this negates my above statement. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being an anorak. :)

I still have a whole group of Apple II free/shareware libraries looking for a home on daWeb, if you have the time & webspace to host 'em. I also have a library of PC-compatible disks, if you're interested.

--T

Sure, just tell me what to do :)

I aint no good with the more complex aspects of the wonderous web.

//edit the maximum attatchment size is 100kb :(
//now it is 512kb, maximum

I have no idea id there is away around this or what. Proboards is a free remote hosting whatsit so what I can store is up to them. I'm still finding out what I can/

Last edited:
Terry Yager said:
I still have a whole group of Apple II free/shareware libraries looking for a home on daWeb, if you have the time & webspace to host 'em. I also have a library of PC-compatible disks, if you're interested.

--T

These may be useful for TOSEC.

Cheers,

80sFreak

probably, after a quick look I dont think I can host these unless I start paying for premium.

I have been entrusted with two different libraries, although there's bound to be a lot of overlap between the two. One is the library of the Genessee County (Mich) Apple club (about 600-800 disks, complete with hard-copy catalog), and the other is from the Michigan Apple II user group. This library is larger (about 12-1500 disks), but it is uncataloged, so you'll have to load & print-out the directory of each disk.

Ideally, I'd like to see all available for d/l, and/or a CD (set) containing all, and/or a disk-copying service for those unable to transfer the on-line images to physical media. If the new caretaker is willing/able to provide the copying service, I can also help get ya started by providing a few hundred blank disks and mailers. Lemme know if you can handle this project.

--T

I'll be happy to host any useful software for early IBM's if you can get me disk images... I've got a page under construction at the moment, with the software I have.

dongfeng said:
I'll be happy to host any useful software for early IBM's if you can get me disk images... I've got a page under construction at the moment, with the software I have.

I have the ~600-disk collection from the Flint[Mich]AreaComputer Enthusiast's club (FACE). These disks have the advantage of having the catalog printed on the label of each disk. (Most disks contain several programs). I have your addy, so I can shoot 'em to ya as soon as I'm financially able (unless someone closer to home offers...I'm not wealthy)...

I've given these libraries a low priority, because of the numerous PC-centric CDs available (SIMTEL, etc), but if you have the means to put 'em on-line for d/l, I'll try & get 'em to ya...

--T

bbcmicro,

Free hosting sites generally attract 1/16th the amount of people a paid hosted site will attract.
People like me prefer only people with paid hosting know our IP address.
Think about it, any kid with a puter can make a proboard site and get people's IP addresses, but these kids are also lazy and don't like working.
If someone has paid hosting, it makes them look like they probably work and are not lazy, thereofore more trustworthy.
If vintage-computer was a free site or proboard, it would have no members..lol
Erik works hard, thereofore he makes money to have good hosting and vbulletin.

Even when I had my first paid site, I used proboards forums, but people just don't trust freebie and ad laced sites.

I then decided to setup IPB on good paid hosting, which was the best idea I ever had, now my forum has about 36 members, not bad considering I don't spam it.

I think you would benefit from a paid site with a real domain. Trust me, you can find the money. Do chores for neighbors, cut grass, fix computers, etc.

Terry Yager said:
I have the ~600-disk collection from the Flint[Mich]AreaComputer Enthusiast's club (FACE). These disks have the advantage of having the catalog printed on the label of each disk. (Most disks contain several programs). I have your addy, so I can shoot 'em to ya as soon as I'm financially able (unless someone closer to home offers...I'm not wealthy)...

I've given these libraries a low priority, because of the numerous PC-centric CDs available (SIMTEL, etc), but if you have the means to put 'em on-line for d/l, I'll try & get 'em to ya...

--T

It's not really cost-effective to send me the disks though... plus I don't think I have the time to make 600 of them... but if you can find someone to make images of them, the webspace to host is there...

alexkerhead said:
Free hosting sites generally attract 1/16th the amount of people a paid hosted site will attract.
That is a very generic statement. It all depends on how useful information the site holds, and how much advertising content, pop-ups and spyware is trying to install itself when you visit the page.

People like me prefer only people with paid hosting know our IP address.
??? You are assuming everyone who puts up a web page does it to log IP numbers and try a hack attack in reverse?

Only because you paid for your site - these days it can be ridiculously cheap if you don't need much - don't mean they are more serious, hard working or trustworthy.

Maybe on a Proboards site, there are so many forums that you drown in trying to find the one for you. On the other hand, boards hosted on their own domains are even harder to find if you don't know what to look for.

On the other hand, an empty Proboards forum has no value, so unless you have a topic for the forum, just close it down and open a new one the day you need it. If you need web hosting and other things where a domain name and commercial web hotel comes into the picture, buy those services then. I am almost 100% sure people won't join your forum just because it looks good or people figure out you have invested money into it.

When it comes to Terry's offer, that is more like webspace request than a forum request. There got to be some Apple II enthusiasts who could take on this archiving project if the library contains useful software. Up to 1500 disks can't be more than 1.5-2 GB data, which is well within reach of the larger offers from cheap ($2-3/month) web hotels today. I saw some web hotel which has a commerce solution up to 80 GB, Microsoft SQL etc for $8-10/month,

Actually, not so much a webspace request as a time & energy request. I have access to webspace, I just don't have the time or the equipment to archive Apple disks on a PC. I could prob'ly use my Dimension 68K, if I had the software for it. BTW, has anyone heard from DimensionDude lately? Seems like he hasn't posted for awhile.

--T

Maybe Kent got stuck in those Toyota (?) cars he was about to merge.

I know what you mean about time and energy. It soon is two years since I signed up for web hotel, and 1.5 years since I closed down my old webpage. I have parts of it up and running, but my intention was to restructure it. I have made a basic (and ugly) structure and added a simple photo album, but not more. Maybe I'll find time and motivation to get to it some time in the winter or next year.

I looked a little closer at the disk libraries, and I discovered that the FlintAppleClub library *does* come with catalog, on 3 floppy disks (6 sides), so archiving them will be a lot less work than I originally thought. The MichiganAppleUserGroup library has a hard-copy catalog (87 pages).

--T

Back