• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Re: PHP

carlsson

Veteran Member
Re: PHP

I'm sorry I need to open a new topic that Erik closed, but I have to correct Alexkerhead:

PHP, java, and flash wont work correctly on my 286 compaq portable III, but my html works fine.
PHP is server side parsed, which means it will take exactly as long time to be ready to be transferred to the web browser on a Compaq 286 as it does on the latest Pentium Duo Core. Perhaps you associate pages in PHP with a lot of graphic content, since it is easy to generate those pages on the fly with a scripting language, and thus figure pages made in PHP (or ASP for that matter - possibly even ColdFusion etc) are heavier per se than pure HTML documents, for some value of "pure".

It means anyone's page (including Atari's) could be developed in a scripting language such as e.g. PHP and if the generated code is restricted to a lean output, there is absolutely no reason why it would work worse on a slower computer. The page will take longer on the server to generate, so you will have a bit of slack time that could've been useful on a computer that anyway is a bit slow to display the page.

I agree on Flash and in particular Java; I doubt there even are clients for the operating system you run on your 286 that support these technologies?

Fair 'nuff. Let's stay on topic and away from personal attacks so this one doesn't meet the same dastardly fate as the last! ;)

Back