• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage-Computer.com: The Videogame!

atari2600a

Veteran Member
Last edited:
I pulled this together in 1/2 an hour. Tomorrow, once I can get more time on the other computer at my house, I'll put like 1-2 hours into Beta 2. But until then, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for the game?

...Seriously, I'm short on ideas.

I had the idea of a level in which you have to program Daisy into an Altair 8800, but then that exceeds my knowledge of the Altair 8800, or anything Assembley/machine language related, & very few people would actually beat the level. Also, it would be too dynamic, & require too much programming.

...Wait, I just got it! I can put a video of Erik doing something from digibarn.com & have the user guess where that video was taken or what he was doing!

Again, the final version will contain Music, (apperantly) video, maybe I can find some voice samples of Erik on Digibarn. & all mods, if you can, can you send me a photo of yourself in some sort of pose? (I'm thinking I'll do a collage of them (If I get them) after the ending credits w/ a "Thanks for Playing".) Just for the record, I'm taking a picture of myself w/ a laserdisc in each hand acting as if they where a klingon weapon or something.

...& It'd really be nice if we can think of good songs worthy of the game. ("One Nation Under a Groove" gets the ending credits, A remixed version of Erik's Altair 8800 playing "Daisy" &/or "Fool on The Hill" get's the intro.) So a good list of songs during the stages is something I need to get working on...

Again, if you have any ideas, please contribute them! Hopefully the final *.dxr file won't be TOO big. It'll probobly get to 5-15MB.

EDIT: I think I'll also do William Shatner-impression narrarations...

Last edited:
Well, I'm at my mom's house now (they got me a freaking laptop!!!), & none of the computers have Macromedia Director MX 2004, so I won't be able to work on Beta-3 until I go back to my dad's (a couple days). At least this gives me time to think of stuff to add!

Remember, if you think of anything to add, share it! You're name(s) will be in the credits!

atari2600a wrote:

> If by royalties you mean more web traffic &
> publicity, then yes! :-D

I was refering to the 1s & 0s which make up the users images
here.

Usually people want people to ask for permission for things
like that to make doubly sure they can use it.

CP/M User.

atari2600a said:
Well I DID ask Erik if I could make the game, he said yes, so...yeah...

That he did. . . I guess I should have negotiated my percentage then, eh? :D

Yeah, after I seal that deal with Electronic Arts :p

Anyways, I just got Director MX 2004 working on my brand new Dell Inspiron E1505 *P!MP4g3*, so now I can continue production! Hooray!

Anyone have any idea's for stages 5-10?

I think I might replace the spoof FTP login window photo w/ an identical Windows Alert. (an actual alert, as in a window seperate from the game popping up & saying something) The only problem is the inability to create an input box on an alert within Lingo (or can you?)...

(Damn, the PSU get's HOT! I better be careful not to set it on the stack of LP's I have right next to my bed! (where I am now))

Last edited:
I (semi) fixed the video problem, but on my server, it loads really slowly. Any volunteers for hosting a 9MB video file?

(I can't hotlink off of digibarn because the video has to be contained in a specifically named folder, with limits to the file name. I'll probobly change the video w/ a 10-15 second 2MB one, saving precious bandwidth & loadtime...)

EDIT: *old 50's sifi mad scientict's voice* "It's alive!!!" I replaced the file, & the fifty-second load time should be almost done by the time you get to stage 3! :p

Please note that all future (& current) beta releases will be contained in:

http://mtac.profusehost.net/misc/dswmedia/

(you can get there also by going to the main page, clicking the "Miscellaneous Folder" link at the bottom, & clicking on the dswmedia folder.)

Last edited:
Beta 3 is now available!

Updates:

-fixed video playback issue
-added level
-made stage 2 harder by adding new selection
-added scrolling credits
-made stage 4 (video level) easier to look at

*FOUL!* I protest! The 'how many bits to a byte' question does not convey enough information. The game does not explicitly state the *word size*. Are we talking 'bout a 4-bit computer...or an 8-bit...or 12, 16, 32, 64-bit, or what?

--T

Back