• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 2000 Networked to DOS and Windows For Workgroups 3.11

creepingnet

Veteran Member
Okay, I just upgraded my Pentium III system to Windows 2000 Professional a couple months ago, and so far, havoc has ensued in sharing my files with my older machines on the network. I understand NT is a different networking technology, and I've also been having some issues in Linux as well, but I think they are both the same as one another, who knows......

Anyway, the physical connection is to a Linksys DSL/Cable router, both the DOS and Windows For Workgroups 3.11 machines attach to the router with the PIII, and then it routs them to the internet for internet access.

On all three machines, I have three network protocols installed....TCP/IP, NetBEUI, and IPX/SPX. The only one not using DHCP to create the IP addresses is the DOS based 286, as it hangs during DHCP detection.

Anyway, the machines can see each other on the network for the most part, though the 286 machine can't find the Pentium III at all using the NET GUI, however, the IP address of the Win2K machine is pingable.

If I try to access the 286's shares from the Pentium III machine, I get an error message that reads "The Network Request Is Not Supported" when I click on the 286 icon in the "My Network Places" window. And if I right click on properties, it says "the server XXXX can't support remote requests". The 286 is running Microsoft Network Client 3.0.

Now, if I try to access the shares on the Pentium III manually, I get this.....

ERROR 3652: This Command is only availible on enhanced workstations.

To the lesser of the networking problems, the 486 (WFWG311) can't get to the Pentium III system via the File Manager. If I click on the icon for my Pentium III system, it says ACCESS HAS BEEN DENIED. If I manually try to access the share, I get a list up that says "You must supply a password to make this connection". I never created any sort of "password" for the shares, so they should be openly accessable.

I'm trying to make sure this is all squared away before I decide to hook my newly acquired IBM ThinkPad 755CD Laptop up to the network. I have plans to use that for work, and it runs Windows 98 SE.

2000/XP just doesn't seem to get along with older DOS/Win95/Win98 stuff. I had a hell of a time being able to "see" my local network from the Win98 PC. I would tweak until I was blue in the face and nothing would work. I finally found that deleting all the network stuff, rebooting, and adding it all again would sometimes work. I'm a "Cert. Novell Eng" and I never did figure out what was going on. At lot of times I would get that "password required" deal, sometimes deleting all the ".acl" files would help. With 2000/XP you can have rights issues with the "guest" account. I finally just made my entire C drive RW sharable on the XP machine. I have a NAT firewall router so not worried about internet access to my shares.

Well, I did figure out something nifty to pull files from the PIII to the 286.....

I had tried everything except a manual file share with the Drive defined.....

c:>net use D: \\gempiii\gemgames

That worked, so I guess I have a way to access files across...

so far tgunner told me that Windows 9x/3.1x/DOS would have issues with this, I dunno about Linux though, but then Linux might have a way as well. As long as I can push files and share the printers, I'm fine. My 486 also doubles as a print server so I can print out CD labels on the ink jet. I found out it was a bad hard disk that was causing me to be unable to share it, my printman.exe file was minimized to 0 bytes.....as were several other windows files, and that clunking noise of the drive was a surefire sign, so I'm glad that's gone.

Ah yes, beloved "net use". Almost no WFW 3.11 experience here so I missed out on all that net use stuff.

Let's see:

LSL.COM
{Nic driver}
ROUTE.COM
IPXODI.COM
NETX.EXE

Man, I DO NOT miss DOS one bit.

chuckcmagee said:
Ah yes, beloved "net use". Almost no WFW 3.11 experience here so I missed out on all that net use stuff.

Let's see:

LSL.COM
{Nic driver}
ROUTE.COM
IPXODI.COM
NETX.EXE

Man, I DO NOT miss DOS one bit.

Feh, me, I'll just make a batch file or two or three, I always find the laziest and least stressful way through, so DOS never bothered me.

The problem might be that DOS/ WFW uses non-encrypted passwords for the access to shares, and win 2000 uses encrypted passwords. This even gives problems with 'empty' passwords.

The easiest solution is to have win 2000 use non- encrypted passwords, ofcourse this is 'less safe', but at least it works.

this might help, but do it the other way around...
http://www.cs.unc.edu/help/samba/win2ksamba.html

Wow, that must be it. I knew it had to be something like that. Every Win98 install would always give me fits. That must have been what it was. Never knew about encrypted passwords in 2K land. Something new every day.

I have a win2k server machine that has shares for all my networked computers (Win 3.1, Mac classic OS, 9x, and NT machines) with no problems.

Besides the problem of having long filenames my WFW machines can grab files from the server with no issues.

Back