• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What a long jump!

carlsson

Veteran Member
The European Athletics Championships starts in a week. Prior to that, the (Swedish) hosts have web pages with all the nominated athletes and so on, plus lists of the best European performers this season. While browsing through the latter list, I found this result quite amusing:

Long jump, women. Wind assisted marks
578.00 m (+2.9 m/s) Zuzana Lunterová (SVK), 2nd place in national competition

It appears someone submitted the result in cm instead of meter, and the results are automatically added to the database. Without the wind, her personal best is "only" 5.94m. If it hadn't been a typo, one wonders which kind of jet engine she had on her back, and how the arrangers were able to measure the jump... not to mention how far the winner jumped! :)

For those who don't know, the maximum allowed tailwind for setting records is +2.0 m/s. The result though is still valid in the actual competition. Too much tailwind might be a disadvantage, as you could fall to the ground while e.g. running. There is no limitation on headwind.

Well, does it say *where* it was? I never came across a specified gravity force in the rules?

:D

Oh dear, and they came 2nd? You're telling me someone did
better than 578 metres?!? ;-)

Perhaps they got the same as that episode of Seinfeld where
Jerry got a head start! ("I choose not to run!!") :-D

CP/M User.

Since it was a national competition, I suppose it was somewhere in Slovakia. Sure, they could have a temporal gravity glitch. The national record for high jump in Slovakia is 225 meter, at which point you risk to encounter low-flying helicopters and balloons. ;-)

Gotta love those record books. Lemme git this straight, that's half-a-kilometer broad jump, and a seven-story high jump. Do Slovakian sprinters ever break the sound barrier?

--T

best jumper in the nba

best jumper in the nba

play1.jpg

pretty cool. but not as far as the slovaks

Imagine playing basketball in that magic place in Slovakia with almost zero gravity. To slam dunk a ball would suddenly be a matter of absolute precision. If you jump too much, you will find yourself hitting the ceiling (oof!) and miss the basket. :-D

Back