• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Flooding in El Paso, TX

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
Wanted to drop by and let everyone know that I am officially flooded in. I took a few pics and uploaded them to my yahoo album. I'm also giving the link to the local news channel. Juarez, Mexico right down the road is a LOT worse. Their sewage system is not meant for this kind of torrent and people actually die in this kind of thing. About a month ago, I think it was six people died in Juarez from the rain.

Greatest thing about having a trailerhome is that I'm about 3' off the ground, so any water flows underneath and away. So far I haven't floated away :)

http://www.kfoxtv.com/index.html

http://photos.yahoo.com/rollmeupa20

the flood pics are in the album with the funny looking guy, not comp pics.

Nathan

Interesting those Yahoo photos, when you see the truck in the
photo - the flood waters look do decieving until you see that
Van pass though you realise the water is reasonibly deep. Is
the water moving?

CP/M User.

Yes, the water was moving against the van down the hill. I am in the driest part of town, there were places where the raised interstate was up to 4 feet deep. You can see it from the photos at the news channel. It was compared in some parts of town to the damage caused by Katrina. Lots of people were left homeless today, when the mud went through their houses over on the west side. My part of town has the highest elevation, the northease, so we had the least flooding and nobody left homeless as far as I know. We had the biggest runoffs, though, and the different neighborhoods were totally cut off from each other except for the highest profile vehicles. They make deep water fjording kits for Cherokees, and it seems time to get one. Emergency vehicles couldn't even get through.

It's since stopped raining, and the cleanup begins. We're right at the foot of the Franklin Mts. and everything washes down from there. Lots of mud and large stones everywhere. I thought it was gonna let up, so I started workin on the car (I busted a small radiator hose last night). In five minutes I looked like I came out of a swimming pool, I was totally drenched. Got the car fixed though.

It may keep raining tomorrow but maybe not. The worst of it is in New Mexico now.

I heard last night that the rains here made the national news. "People are warning El Pasoans to get out while they still can." Um, I was never warned, the city didn't say anything and one area of downtown was evacuated, but the dam didn't break so they went back.

Still makes me appreciate the phrase "come hell or high water."

Back