• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

somebody, write me an...

Mike Chambers

Veteran Member
somebody please program an athlon 64 emulator for my 8088.

j/k... obviously. although it would be kind of a lark to time it and see how long it would take to boot up windows XP x64 :D

you'd need a good 256+ MB hard drive just for emulating RAM

Ah, all according to the old idiom: "All hardware can be emulated in software."

Indeed, just like PC-Task on the Amiga, emulating up to a 486 in software. I remember running this on my 14MHz 68ec020 Amiga 1200 back in about 1995, and it ran somewhere between 1 and 2 MHz trying to emulate an 8086. Although it worked, it wasn't exactly useful at that speed, although it was technically very impressive to even work at those sorts of speeds, considering how different the 68K processors are to the X86 series.

Way cool! I've got the Cray-1 emulator for my Tandy Pocket Computer PC-2.

8)

Kent

Indeed.
My next project is to incorporate the earth simulator into my original gameboy via emulator.
When I am done, it will be able to calculate 36 trillion calculations per second.
I plan to run a commodore 64 emulator on the earth simulator emulator.

On this topic, Microsoft has made the Virtual PC 2004 product free. For the price, it works well enough. Parallels Workstation 2.1 works better but license is $50. I use both of them on different laptops. As far as I can tell, the layout of their "virtual disk drives" is different for each. Crap, otherwise I could move one virtual machine to the other product with no work. Figures they would make the layouts different tho, why make life easy.

Seriously!? That means I won't have to pirate it any longer! (Although it would be nice to have serial mouse emulation so I can run Windows 1.01 w/ mouse support...)

Last edited:
Seriously!? That means I won't have to pirate it any longer! (Although it would be nice to have serial mouse emulation so I can run Windows 1.01 w/ mouse support...)

Yep, totally free. Has a working key code glued into the download. Microsoft's product does allow "virtual bios" changes, I don't think I can do that in the Parallel's product. The bios deal came in handy when I was trying out Warp 4. Install insisted on a drive of less than 504 MB. It turns out to be the crappy IBM IDE drivers in the release package but it was too much trouble to replace the drivers and start the install over. I was just playing with OS/2 anyway, nothing serious.

Back