• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

8 bit VGA for PC XT

i've got a Trident 8-bit VGA card. i've got it in an old XT motherboard with a fujitsu 8088 clone. i personally do not want to part with mine, it's the only video card i have that will work in that box.

have you checked ebay? i know i've seen a few on there in the past and i recall them being extremely cheap.

btw, youre using an XT as an office computer? lol, you can't be very productive with that thing.

It's more of a novelty than a true work machine. For hard-core work I've got a brand new Lenovo T60 (2.2Ghz, dual core) with 2GB RAM, an almost new IBM T42P (1.8Ghz) with 2GB RAM, some beat around x86 and PowerPC boxes for Linux, etc. Compared to all of them though the XT is just plain gorgeous ..

The plan for the XT is to get the VGA card, pop in a 3Com Etherlink II, and run NCSA telnet on it. Then I can use it for programming, as most of my work is just done in an xterm window anyway. (NCSA telnet does just fine as a VT100.) I had a PCjr setup to do this just a while ago.

I have a Paradise card in the box. On the box it says "Paradise Basic VGA Card, A video graphics card that features VGA, EGA, CGA, Hercules and MDA standards." On the end of the box it says "For IBM PC/XT/AT, PS/2 Models 25, 30 and compatibles."
Yeah, I've seen the error listing the PS/2 Model 25 before. That was an "All-in-One" unit (with integrated monitor) so the card wouldn't work there (Also a "Model 25 286" with VGA abilities, and a "Model 25SX" with SVGA abilities). Only useful on an 8086-based Model 30 (no "286") as well, because it and the low-end Model 25 were the only PS/2 systems to have "MCGA", with limited VRAM (64Kb) sort of a "budget VGA".
Even though MCGA is built into the Model 30 8086 planar, when an 8-bit VGA card was installed in one of the expansion slots the planar video could then be "turned off" through a certain I/O register. IBM's own VGA card did that, but many other cards that fit there won't. The main evidence of this problem is Windows 3.0 not running in a color mode on the Model 30 8086, even though a VGA video card is used (because the MCGA circuit is still active & confusing the system).
Can you tell I got Windows 3.0 running in color on my Model 30 8086 today?...

I have a PC XT in my office at work now, and I'd like to get a VGA card for it. If you have one you might want to part with, let me know.

If you have one and you don't want to part with it, please let me know the make and model so that I can make a list of what to look for.

Right now the machine has a monochrome card, 5151 monitor, 10MB hard disk and 512KB of RAM. When I get a VGA card it's going to be connected to a 21" flat panel LCD display. :)

Did you find a VGA card to work in your XT with the 21" flat panel ?
I think that should get some nice comments from co-workers :)

Back