• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My IBM 5160 - questios.

Finally it gave me error.

ST-225 need WPC on 300 cyl.
Is WPC form 0, 100, 256 or 30 cyl bad?

I can understand, that no WPC would be bad and WPC form eg. 350 'd be bad too.

And so it appears that the "Reserved for non-standard" setting isn't what I thought it was. Worth the try.

Regarding WPC. I'll repeat a previous answer I gave you.

Let's look at the situation of an ST-225 connected to your 'type 1 only' board. The ST-225 (a type 2 drive) is expecting to have WPC activated from cylinders 300 to 615. The board (believing it has a type 1 drive attached) will turn on the ST-225's WPC from cylinder 128 onwards.
Thus between cylinders 128 and 300, the ST-225 will have its WPC activated when it should not. I would thus expect some read/write errors in those cylinders, probably in the cylinder range of 128 to 200, with more errors appearing the closer the heads are to cylinder 128.
How often would the errors occur? I don't know. It might only be one error per one thousand read/writes.
It's a bit like asking, "The manual says the specification for the +12 volts is +/- 0.5 volts. Will my drive work okay if I supply only 11 volts?"
Maybe it will or maybe it won't. It would probably depend on the drive.
It might be the same with WPC - the error rate depending on the drive and for that drive, how far off the WPC setting is.
I doubt that you will find anyone on this forum who is prepared to say, "Use any WPC setting you like - there will be no problems."

So... I'll use it as this drive:

Cyl/Head/WPC/Cap.
512/4/256/17

Next problem.
My PSU is making sometimes something like 'wrr...wrr...wrr...'.
Sounds like something under that yellow big sticker.

There is high metal... something ;).
What's this?

Are these sounds bad?

I'm all for helping you get your machine running, but this thread has been running for too long. I would suggest getting some technical service documentation if you are serious about fixing these problems. Technical service docs for the PC, XT, floppy drives, and hard drives are out there - but it does take some time to find, training to understand, and $$$ to purchase.

This hardware is old, and a lot of it is cranky. Posting about every piece of cranky hardware is not going to make it less cranky.

Back