• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The New Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't remember that I logged on, even with Remember me ticked.

I first encountered this new forum about half an hour ago, I logged in and read a couple of topics. Then I went back to Google and watched TV for 30 minutes. When I came back to the forum I had to log in again. It's supposed to remember me for months or maybe forever.

HTTPS seems to be very broken. I've tried with Firefox, Chrome, and Edge, and if you use the SSL port it renders a very messed-up version of the forum. I haven't dug into it with a code inspector but, well, to cut to the chase it looks like it's not able to load the stylesheets, resulting in a long incomprehensible spew of what looks like the modern web rendered in a 1994 vintage copy of Mosaic.

I don't suppose I care that much about the regular posting but, well, logging in via SSL is generally considered a Good Thing these days.

Click on "Forum" up top (not "Forums", that's old CSS that is broken), then when it refreshes to show the entire list of forums, you'll see New Posts up top.

Logged out, cleared cookies, cleared cache, logged in. 'Forums' and 'New Topics' plainly visible but I only see the 'Forum' breadcrumb if I go _into_ a forum. Did that, searched forums list page for 'New Posts', nothing to be found ....??

Bug reports:

Trying to customize the look doesn't seem to take. I picked user button on top right -> Profile -> Customize My Style -> Content to change fonts but it doesn't always take. Sometimes it does, sometimes it says it does but nothing changes. Trying to change the Content -> Header font Appears to do nothing.

Multi-quote is broken. Clicking on "Quote" does the correct thing, but clicking a second "Quote", adds nothing to the reply window, despite lighting up as if it were multi-quoting. (If this is not the correct way to multi-quote, please advise.)

HTTPS seems to be very broken. I've tried with Firefox, Chrome, and Edge, and if you use the SSL port it renders a very messed-up version of the forum. I haven't dug into it with a code inspector but, well, to cut to the chase it looks like it's not able to load the stylesheets

This needs to get fixed because some forum features link directly to https, so you'll be navigating the site and then suddenly it's broken on the next click.

Last edited:
If you are at "http://www.vcfed.org/forum/" then look for "New Topics".

If you are having problems with the login process (or not staying logged in), ensure that you are not mixing www.vcfed.org and vcfed.org. Those create two different login cookies.

TIPC - We are not "upgrading" moderators, as they are doing fine work.

Can someone please point out where I can find links to:
#1 - show unread posts
#2 - mark all posts as read

I find it incredible that new forums always seem to either hide or drop these features... sigh...

If you can find them (and tell me) - thank you in advance!

Yep, same reason I came here. Where are they?

The white background ... ouch ... any way to change the theme?

I can't view my Inbox. If I click "Go to Message Center", the screen just sits there doing nothing. I'd like to reply to a message I received yesterday, but no way to even find the message.

I came back again, and this time I was already logged on. Maybe it just needed to be warmed up.
I knew about the New Topics, that's not an issue.
Clicking on the little blue thing to the left of the thread name should jump to the first new post, but that hasn't worked yet. Maybe it will come good in a while.
As to the waste of white space, I used Firefox's zoom feature to expand the forum until it filled nearly all the screen. Firefox remembers it next time too.
All that's left is the social media integration which I have no interest in at all. I'm not registered in any of that, so it's a total waste.
I haven't tried editing my post, but sounds like if you edit too soon it's somehow spam, and if you edit too late the post is locked.

"New Topics" doesn't work correctly (https with linked unsecure content - killing the site's layout).

And PLEASE bring back "mark forums read" on the new topics' page.

I think a darker theme with a slightly larger font would be nice, though I don’t see any reason to immediately freak out because things aren’t perfect, as they’ve JUST switched to the new software. I’m sure they’ll get all the kinks worked out in time. I remember 68kmla being a bit of a wreck when they first switched, but it’s really nice now IMO.

Also, it seems signatures are disabled by default, so you’ll have to go into your profile settings to re-enable them if you want to see signatures.

Could be worse, but there's room for improvement, in order of perceived (by me) urgency:
-eliminate unnecessary whitespace at the left, right, and top, as well as get the general density of information back.
Essentially, there's less on the screen at once now. This is bad.
-eliminate javascript dependency, especially in vital places like the login field.
-return the colour scheme we all know and love
-facebook and twitter? what? why?
Some things left to be done, but I'd bet a lot of these are defaults that haven't been changed yet, rather than any sort of malicious "modern-web-ification"
Just my two cents.

I just forced an update of the EasyList 'Fanboy's Social Blocking List' filter file for the AdBlock Plus extension and the two TwitBook links attached to every post have now disappeared for me. If you don't use those two particular sites (and all the domain name variations they have got their tentacles into) it is well worth installing.
The filter file: https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/fanboy-social.txtZZZBLAH
(remove ZZZBLAH is you really want to see the crap it sieves out).

Let's try a different approach. This is a serious question to the site admins: if I were to offer my help in fixing the visual issues with this theme, will you accept it?

Suffice to say I agree with most of the criticisms that others have raised about the look and feel. On the other hand, I expect that the admins don't have the time or the inclination to sit around and edit templates and stylesheets all by themselves.

I haven't hosted vBulletin boards myself, so I don't know the specifics of how themes/styles are managed. But I've helped out others in the past in fixing this kind of thing. I fully expect that most of the purely visual issues (whitespace, font sizes, colors) can be fixed with .css updates, and that I can do.

Worst case, we have browser add-ons like Stylish/FreeStyler where we can share our own custom modifications (here's one example of what I've done with that). But these issues are more neatly and simply fixed at the source, so I really hope that this can be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back