• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Can't access my keyboard during Linux installation

Zap!

Experienced Member
I have a 20 old computer and wanted to put a version of Linux on it. When flashing the ISO with Etcher to a USB SD card, it boots from the USB as normal and gives me a few options. Except I can't select anything. No arrow keys, no enter, not even the number lock (no light). I have tried two different versions of Linux (Lithium and Peppermint) and can't select anything, along with two keyboards. Perhaps it's the keyboard, perhaps the computer just freezes. Hard to tell.

Keyboards are USB and the computer has no options for PS/2 or other types. I've tried every USB port. Before I booted to USB, I was in the BIOS to check the keyboard. Works fine.

Now, Linux Mint did work, but I can't use it because it's way, way too fast for my puny computer (Intel Celeron with 512mb of RAM and 20gb HD). Then again, Mint doesn't have me select anything, it just boots. Once it boots, my keyboard worked fine.

So, I need one of two things:

1) My keyboard to work (or computer to stop freezing) during installation.

2) A version that doesn't wait for me to select something; something with either a timer or something that just boots to Linus without immediately asking me options.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5395.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	140.8 KB ID:	1220862

Last edited:
Check the BIOS for a legacy USB keyboard option and enable it. Without that, the keyboard won't work until the OS has loaded an USB stack.

Check the BIOS for a legacy USB keyboard option and enable it. Without that, the keyboard won't work until the OS has loaded an USB stack.

Unfortunately I do not see it. It has a very limited bios, and the only mention of USB is Intel USB Controller, with a default to IRQ 11.

Last edited:
Who has a 20mb hdd and linux is too fast with 512mig of ram.

I smell a troll sorry.

Not everything is a conspiracy. I have 20 computers, and just pulled out a basic Compaq. Checked out Windows 2000, and did not think I needed that OS. Looked at the specs, and it was weak. I have never tried Linux ever, and just recently even found out that it was graphical (assumed it was like DOS; again, I have never tried it).

Saw some videos on YouTube that said you can see install Linux on even older computers. So I tried. Not sure where you get trolling from. Not everyone is an expert.

Edit: didn't realize I said 20mb. Sorry, it's a 20gb hd.

Last edited:
Not everything is a conspiracy. I have 20 computers, and just pulled out a basic Compaq. Checked out Windows 2000, and did not think I needed that OS. Looked at the specs, and it was weak. I have never tried Linux ever, and just recently even found out that it was graphical (assumed it was like DOS; again, I have never tried it).

Saw some videos on YouTube that said you can see install Linux on even older computers. So I tried. Not sure where you get trolling from. Not everyone is an expert.

You don't have to be an expert to use Linux. Give Bunsen Labs https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation.html a try. It installs on my old rigs with 256megs of ram easily enough. Mint is ideal for systems with more specs. You my ned to use a PS/2 mouse and keyboard on your Compag .

Last edited:
You don't have to be an expert to use Linux. Give Bunsen Labs https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation.html a try. It installs on my AMD K6-2 400 with 256megs of ram easily enough. Mint is ideal for systems with more specs. You my ned to use a PS/2 mouse and keyboard on your Compag .

Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow, as I have work in the morning. The computer doesn't have any PS/2 ports. I believe this is my Compaq. There are several models though.

https://community.spiceworks.com/products/193-compaq-ipaq-desktop

Take the Hard drive and install in any computer that will boot Linux. Do the install as normal.
Then remove the Hard drive with Linux and insert in the destination computer. Boot it and use
as you would have, if it had been installed on that Computer. Linux doesn't care, but install
the 32 Bit Version or 64 bit version to match your Hardware, or what you require.

Larry

On P3 systems, I generally have much better luck with older distros. Just for yucks, try an old version of Puppy Linux, say, "Slacko". It's not unsual to see the Debian kernels dropping support for some chipsets along the way.

And, of course, for later versions, there's the CMOV thing.

Last edited:
Take the Hard drive and install in any computer that will boot Linux. Do the install as normal.
Then remove the Hard drive with Linux and insert in the destination computer. Boot it and use
as you would have, if it had been installed on that Computer. Linux doesn't care, but install
the 32 Bit Version or 64 bit version to match your Hardware, or what you require.

Larry

You shouldn't have to do that at all.Disrtros on a number of P4 systems I(including this one I use as my daily driver without any effort) have currently are Linux Mint Debian Edition 4, Devuan Beowolf (no systemd) and Bunsen Labs Lithium. Installed and updated when need without any problems at all. With and without ps/2 keyboards. Tried Peppermint but it just had some real funny quirks I didn't like. that the others didn't.

For my so called "5x86" architecture I use Devuan Jessie(no systemd) which went to archive status mid last year.and just point apt to the Devuan Jessie archives.Yeah the requirement for the cpu to have SSE(CMOV) killed installation on 5x86 stuff. About a month ago there was mention on one of the forums I go to of Puppy Linux dropping 32-bit systems completely in the near future. That would be a shame.

There are older versions of Puppy (and DSL) archived. I recommended Slacko because it's just old enough (about 300 MB ISO, based on Slackware 14.1) here. If it works, you have a starting point at least.

Sorry for the late reply guys, but yesterday I worked an 11 hour shift and went right to bed when I got home. Anyway, a few updates...

I updated the BIOS to 2.10, thinking perhaps that would help. It didn't. And still no Boot to USB option in BIOS. How I am booting to USB is through Plop Boot Manager. Perhaps it doesn't like my computer. I checked the settings, and the only real USB option in Plop are "Force USB 1.1" (it's set to 0, and can be set to Mode 1 or 2) and "Ignore USB Devices" (it's set to 00, and can be set all the way up to 99). Think any of these could be it?

Anyway, if all else fails I have a nice XP computer. I will put the HD in there if I have to, then put it back in the Compaq. I will first wait to see your replies on Plop.

There are older versions of Puppy (and DSL) archived. I recommended Slacko because it's just old enough (about 300 MB ISO, based on Slackware 14.1) here. If it works, you have a starting point at least.

If the ISO is only 300mb, I can put it on a CD and boot to CD-ROM from the BIOS. I'm thinking that my problems may lie in Plop.

If the ISO is only 300mb, I can put it on a CD and boot to CD-ROM from the BIOS. I'm thinking that my problems may lie in Plop.
Bunsen Labs Litium for 32-bit system can boot as a live cd as well. Then you can instill on to your machines hdd if you like it.

Back