• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

This has to be a joke, right?

ButINeededThatName

Experienced Member
So I was perusing FleeceBay earlier, seeing of anything interesting and reasonably priced (tall ask for vintage gear these days, I know) listed and I found... this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174904741604?hash=item28b9228ee4:g:YPcAAOSwHu5g9OtM
This is almost as bad as the time I saw someone asking $3.5k for two mold-filled NCR systems.

I really want to believe that this is a joke listing, however with some of the craziness I've seen I wouldn't be surprised if someone genuinely thinks that an XT that's been sat in a field for the past two decades is worth that much (and that it was made by Steve Jobs).

Anyways, what are some of the more ridiculous listings you all have seen? It definitely seems like their getting more common in this hobby as of late.

I liked the comment "Found in yard, but worked when powered down". If they found it in the yard, how did they know it worked before?

I liked the comment "Found in yard, but worked when powered down". If they found it in the yard, how did they know it worked before?

Maybe he has vague memories of when he unplugged it and chucked it out the window in a fit of rage thirty years ago?

ahh yes this listing has been reposted several times now and keeps popping up on my new items search

I have a good chuckle about it every time

The "**Steven Jobx**" is a masterful touch as well.

The username looks familiar... *dig*. Okay, I'm pretty sure this is in fact an intentional troll, not sheer clueless-ness. Not that I have a problem with that. And who knows, with things as ridiculous as they are they might just strike gold.

thats like showing a picture of a world war ii fighter on the bottom of the pacific ocean with the headline "Flown last time engine started"

The "**Steven Jobx**" is a masterful touch as well.

The username looks familiar... *dig*. Okay, I'm pretty sure this is in fact an intentional troll, not sheer clueless-ness. Not that I have a problem with that. And who knows, with things as ridiculous as they are they might just strike gold.

I suspected it may be, but I didn't know troll ebay listings were even a thing

I remember they were all the rage back when eBay started, with people "auctioning" off fingernail clippings and stuff but, yeah, they're rarer these days. The genius of this one is it's *just possible* to believe it's for real because, well, real ones have gotten so ridiculous.

So I was perusing FleeceBay earlier, seeing of anything interesting and reasonably priced (tall ask for vintage gear these days, I know) listed and I found... this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17490474160...cAAOSwHu5g9OtM
This is almost as bad as the time I saw someone asking $3.5k for two mold-filled NCR systems.

I really want to believe that this is a joke listing, however with some of the craziness I've seen I wouldn't be surprised if someone genuinely thinks that an XT that's been sat in a field for the past two decades is worth that much (and that it was made by Steve Jobs).

Anyways, what are some of the more ridiculous listings you all have seen? It definitely seems like their getting more common in this hobby as of late.

Legend has it Steve Jobx pitched it all the way from Cupertino after an employee pointed out how much simpler and affordable it was compared to the Lisa.

BTW.. is that "I found... this..." a Jeremy Clarkson reference? I used to love his "I went on the internet, and I found... this..." sequences in Top Gear. :)

Oh yes, yes they are. I don't know if this particular one is, but there are some where the price keeps going up to absurd levels and have been sitting on Ebay for years. Listing fees would end all of that and I wish Ebay would bring those back for that very reason.

Last edited:
Back