• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Too hot to hunt

carlsson

Veteran Member
Over here, we have specific hunting seasons for different types of animals. Probably this is regulated in most countries. Each type of animal has its particular season, and the biggest hunt is the moose hunting.

However, due to the unusually warm summer and fall - it still is many degrees above normal - the hunt may have to be delayed. In this warm weather, the meat will get spoiled if the moose is not taken immediately to a freeze house after being shot. Also, a lot of flies get attracted to a dead animal, which partially can be solved by covering it.

I don't know if the warm weather is a fluke or an effect of global warming, but from some perspective animals can gain from it, if it is too hot to hunt them during the season when it is allowed. :)

We only Shoot Them During Breeding System

We only Shoot Them During Breeding System

Last week was the first of 2 weeks for moose here in Maine.
The weather has been between 39deg and 65 deg windy and rainy.
My boss got a 803lb. dressed bull moose saturday morning.
We do it by a lottery and they pick around 2500 permits.

In one place in Norway, they have one albino moose. The locals consider it almost sacred, and pledge the hunters not to shoot it. One hunter has provocatively said he will focus on killing it, and has received SMS threats in line with "I know where you live" and "We will hit you very bad..."

The boss at the institute for molecular bioscience thinks the albino moose needs to be shot, as it is a freak of nature and could spread its unwanted traits to offspring. One newspaper has started a poll which name they should give the moose, and has a dozen suggestions or so. Among the entries that make sense in English are Albin Laden, Barry White and Michael Jackson. :)

My son got a small doe whitetail deer several years ago and the warden called it a (pibold) don't know exactly what he meant but said it was not an albino. Must be like a horse of a different color, TOTO

Ah. At first read, I understood it as your son had mistakenly shot a fair horse under the assumption it was a deer.

Sometimes there are stories (jokes?) about frustrated hunters who take a shot at a cow, then go to the farmer to excuse themselves and pay him for the loss of a good cow. Just to get some kind of meat with them. Even better if the cow was old and sick and was about to be put to end anyway. The farmer just has to pretend it was an important loss and get well paid for what otherwise would not have been good enough for the butcher.

Back