• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

This is weird. I would try disconnecting the CF adapter, the IDE cable and also remove the IDE controller (if possible) to see if these misdetections stop and if so where the problem is.

Disconnecting the CF adapter and IDE cable made no difference.

Removing the IDE controller fixed the problem so I replaced the IDE controller with another brand without re-connecting the IDE cable and it has the same problem.

Master at 170h:
Slave at 170h:

If I insert the CF card into the adapter configured as master it works just fine.

Master at 170h: Sandisk SD-2259-HB
Slave at 170h: not found

Which source files are responsible for detecting and displaying the drive information above?

Thank you.

Hi, I discovered strange issue. I already have 5 computers running XT-IDE. Now I'm trying to make it work on FIC PA-2005 (Via chipset) motherboard with Pentium 133 MMX. Just installed Windows 98 SE on CF-IDE (32GB).

Every time I restart (warm restart) the computer, XT-IDE will not show up and BIOS will fail to boot from HDD. On cold reset or computer turn off / turn on, it will work. It seems it is happening in Windows 98 SE.

The NIC is Realtek PCI with IRQ=10 and I removed all ISA cards. There is only S3 GPU in PCI. This Realtek NIC is supposed to be PnP, but there's no configuration utility. The only way to change stuff is in Windows 98 device manager. So I tried to change address of this Realtek PCI to C800 range as that is where is XT-IDE setup and that's what is reported on the boot.

But it did not help as well. Am I doing something wrong? I tried disabling as much IRQs as I can, but this does not seem to be IRQ conflict. I tried to change card positions as well. Nothing helps. I spent 2 days debugging this.

I have 5 Realtek PCI NIC. You cannot change IRQ, but each card have different IRQ by factory. I tried a few of them. It does not solve the problem.

---
I have also spare 3COM NIC for ISA, but when I run configuration utility I see BOOT ROM is enabled, but it reports address 0H. I cannot change this address. That is very strange and XT-IDE will not show up on this one. Another 3COM ISA can be changed. I guess it is different model or something is faulty on this one.
---

Solved by removing all duplicate entries of NIC and TCP protocols in Network Neighbours. Then changing address in Device Manager and restarting. Issue with PnP and Windows only Realtek NIC card.

But the second issue still remains:
I have also spare 3COM NIC for ISA, but when I run configuration utility I see BOOT ROM is enabled, but it reports address 0H. I cannot change this address. That is very strange and XT-IDE will not show up on this one. Another 3COM ISA can be changed. I guess it is different model or something is faulty on this one.

Hello! I have an odd problem. I flashed an 27c with 16kb with the build r607 of xt_ide_386 after configure it with the provided software. I am using an 386DX40 with 8Mb of RAM and an CF with 8gb. All work very well, super happy. The problem is when I swap the graphic card for an ET4000 isa 16bit, I cant boot, the computer freezes on showing the first letters on screen with card info.
When I remove the NIC with xt_ide, all is working. Using a 8900c gfx or an OAK card also good. But I would like to use my TSENG on that system to get the most of it. Any help would be good.
I opend a thread in vogons with the problem and all I have done
Many thanks,
Jorge

Last edited:
r618 is out!

pikadroo, freds and anyone else who has had problems using floppy drives or even other harddrive controllers together with XUB; this should now be fixed.

I can't seem to find any mention of a problem I am having with floppy drives, so here it is maybe someone can help.

With the XTIDE bios installed I am unable to format floppies due to a "Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable" error. My system is probably an extremely rare Cumulus brand 386SX with a built in phoenix bios that has limited IDE support. All version of the XTIDE bios in v2 will boot a CF card just fine into DOS 6.22 on this computer, it works so great I can't even believe it. The floppy format problem only occurs in v2 beta 2 and v2 beta 3 however, I can format floppies when I use v2 beta 1 just fine. If the XTIDE bios is removed from the computer formatting floppies works just fine.

Thanks!
-Drew

Hello,

I am unable to have my 5.25 1.2M floppy drive properly recognized with ide_xt and ide_xtp. The drive is considered by the OS as a 360K one when such a bios is present. The drive works fine with ide_tiny, but then, no CF.

My setup is:
- PC Epson Equity II (NEC V30, 640 KB RAM, one 5.25 HD floppy, no extension board)
- XT-CF Lite V4.1 (Address C800h, port 320h)
- MS-DOS 6.2
- Transcend CompactFlash Industrial CF300 128MB (TS128MCF300)
- XTIDE bios r602 and previous (r528 customized from Sergey, r588...)

Tests performed, without success:
- Many changes of address and port on the XT-CF-Lite card, flashing both ide_xt and ide_xtp accordingly to port after running auto-configure in xtidecfg.
- Build r602 on Linux with minimum DEFINES_COMMON in the makefile (progressively down to the options of DEFINES_XT_TINY). The floppy drive doesn't work as soon as MODULE_8BIT_IDE_ADVANCED is included, which is mandatory for CF support.

When the drive is wrongly recognized, the same error as Drew noticed in #528 appears (unable to format the floppy).
The functions 08h and 15h of int13 seem to be involved in floppy drives detection, so I tried calling them with debug utility. I'm not sure whether these functions are the only ones.

Code I used for calling function 15h:

xor ax, ax
mov es, ax
mov di, ax
mov ah, 15
mov dl, 00
int 13
int 3

Function 15h result with drive recognized as HD (ide_tiny in ROM or ROM disabled):
AX=0200 BX=0000 CX=0000 DX=0000 SP=FFEE BP=0000 SI=0000 DI=0000
DS=16AD ES=16AD SS=16AD CS=16AD IP=0108 NV UP EI PL NZ NA PE NC

Result with ide_xt or ide_xtp in ROM:
AX=0200 BX=0000 CX=0000 DX=0000 SP=FFEE BP=0000 SI=0000 DI=0000
DS=166E ES=166E SS=166E CS=166E IP=0109 NV UP EI NG NZ AC PE CY

3 flags are different. I understand that the carry flag here means an error occurred in the function call.

Function 08h with drive recognized as HD:
AX=0140 BX=0000 CX=0000 DX=0000 SP=FFEE BP=0000 SI=0000 DI=0000
DS=16AD ES=16AD SS=16AD CS=16AD IP=0108 NV UP EI NG NZ AC PO CY

Function 08h with drive recognized as 360K:
AX=0100 BX=0000 CX=0000 DX=0000 SP=FFEE BP=0000 SI=0000 DI=0000
DS=166E ES=166E SS=166E CS=166E IP=0108 NV UP EI NG NZ AC PO CY

AX contains 0140 when the drive is fine, 0100 when ide_xt or ide_xtp is in the ROM.

Thanks for your help!
Freddy

..... or even other harddrive controllers together with XUB; this should now be fixed.
I can't say i've had this problem but then i only have the XUB running on my IBM's these days and don't use MODULE_SERIAL_FLOPPY, Just curious, Does this just affect Floppy operations or does it also affect hard drive's as well on some systems ?.

It should affect hard drives as well as floppy drives. I guess not that many people are using XUB with other hard drive controller BIOSes. Thinking back, the only bug reports I can remember mentioning XUB having problems coexisting with other hard drive controllers are the ones from people trying to use MFM controllers. alecv was (the?) one IIRC. It's also possible we've missed bug reports of course.

All my MFM drives that came with my IBM's are long dead, I do have one Japanese model that works and tried it in an XT with XUB and CF for a while, It worked fine but that was a long time ago. I use CF / SD / IDE Spinning rust or USB these days.

Had something of a weird issue. Been working on writing a driver to get VENIX/86 working with the XT-IDE. VENIX, on startup, clobbers the ISVS and resets them with their own hooks. What I found is on floppy access, with the XT-IDE BIOS installed, if interrupted 0xC0 to 0xC3 are overridden, Venix gets several Unknown Interrupts, and dies. I looked at the XT-IDE source code, but I can't see any place where these ISVs are used. This seems to happen on latest nightly builds so I find myself rather confused on what's going on ...

Had something of a weird issue. Been working on writing a driver to get VENIX/86 working with the XT-IDE. VENIX, on startup, clobbers the ISVS and resets them with their own hooks. What I found is on floppy access, with the XT-IDE BIOS installed, if interrupted 0xC0 to 0xC3 are overridden, Venix gets several Unknown Interrupts, and dies. I looked at the XT-IDE source code, but I can't see any place where these ISVs are used. This seems to happen on latest nightly builds so I find myself rather confused on what's going on ...

This is interesting - a driver for the XT-IDE cards? Which cards exactly? All of them?

Are you saying that interrupt vectors C0h to C3h are being overwritten? XUB doesn't use those interrupts so it must be something else causing this problem.

This is interesting - a driver for the XT-IDE cards? Which cards exactly? All of them?

Are you saying that interrupt vectors C0h to C3h are being overwritten? XUB doesn't use those interrupts so it must be something else causing this problem.

So, VENIX's stock driver assumes a IBM Fixed Disk Controller, and tries to do DMA with it. I replaced it with an int 13h based driver which seems to work (albiet slowly, since VENIX only requests sectors 1 at a time). I need to get a memory watch kit setup to figure out exactly what's going on, but here's what I know:

On startup, VENIX overrides the entire IVT with one of it's own design. It retains a few vectors (specifically, those listed in the IBM PC Technical References), and then replaces them all with a handler that prints the message "Unknown Interrupt (ignored).

If the XT-IDE Universal BIOS is installed, VENIX prints out two unknown interrupt messages, and then crashes. I think this is a state machine falling apart, but I haven't quite worked out what's going on due to debugging difficulties. If the IVT at C0->C3 is retained with the values from start up, the system boots successfully. All four words MUST be retained. I can reproduce this crash and fix on multiple machines and in emulation.

I need to setup Bochs or another emulator w/ a debugger so I can see what exactly is happening. I suspect something is accidently reading/writing those addresses since I looked through the code for any references and couldn't' find any.

(I'm sorry for the slow responses, my account is low post count, so my posts have to be mod validated, and I don't get email notifications for replies it seems).

ISSUE: I have a XT-IDE Deluxe board with CF card on board that will not recognize any cf card, but only in one of my computers. It works great on 4 other motherboards.

DETAILS: The computer I am trying to make work is a Leading Edge Technology 2010E, 8088 cpu 4.77 mhz XT 256k ram, motherboard has onboard CGA/MGA, Serial , parallel, time clock, and floppy controller. The XT-IDE Bios splash screen comes up, but it always says no drives found. error 1h! then boots from floppy fine. I have tried with onboard video, and with a VGA card and onboard disabled with same results. After booting from floppy id does not see any HDD with FDISK, There is no hard drive/MFM controller in system.

If it helps the onboard stuffs is set as follows.

Floppy drives: 1

I also see that Real Time CLock could be on interrupt 2,4,5, or 7. as i type this i realize I dont know what it is set to, if it is on 5, could this be the problem?

Does the xt-ide need interrupt 5? it is listed as "HARD DISK (PC/XT type computer only)"
Tonight I will try to disable the RTC and make sure it is not on 5 to trouble shoot the issue.

I will update this when I check system tonight.
I am hoping someone will read this and just know. If not it will be hear for the next time.

-Jerry

mother board info
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/L/LEADING-EDGE-PRODUCTS-INC-8088-MODEL-D-REVISION-1.html

I also see that Real Time CLock could be on interrupt 2,4,5, or 7. as i type this i realize I dont know what it is set to, if it is on 5, could this be the problem?
No. The RTC chip only generates an interrupt when its 'alarm' functionality is activated. 'Alarm' functionality is normally not active.

Does the xt-ide need interrupt 5?
No.

Tonight I will try to disable the RTC and make sure it is not on 5 to trouble shoot the issue.
Yes, because this could be an 'I/O port' (not interrupt) conflict between the XT-IDE card and the RTC.

Thanks for the help: ISSUE Resolved:

For the Leading Edge Technology DC-2010: Disabling the onboard RTC did fix the issue of not detecting the CF card on the XT-IDE.
Computer now boots just fine.

So I guess the I/O of the rtc is conflicting, I dont have the documents for the RTC I/O ports, but now I can read Docs for XT-IDE a little better and maybe move the IO on it?
Is there any reason not to use the default I/O for XT-IDE? Just thinking out loud, I can tinker with this no problems, worst case i dont use the RTC. I am ok with this for this machine.

For the REVISION 1 & 5 motherboard - J13 PINS 2-7 (OPEN) RTC DISABLED

mother board info
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherb...EVISION-1.html

-Jerry

So I guess the I/O of the rtc is conflicting, I dont have the documents for the RTC I/O ports, but now I can read Docs for XT-IDE a little better and maybe move the IO on it?
Yes. See the 'I/O port range used...' section of [here].

Is there any reason not to use the default I/O for XT-IDE?
The 'I/O ports conflict with something else' is the only reason that I can think of.

It looks like the https://www.xtideuniversalbios.org site is down. Where is the current development being done? Obviously, code.google.com is in archive-only mode.

- Alex

Yeah, it's been down for at least a week now. I hope it's not a serious problem with the server. I've just sent an e-mail to pearce_jj in case he is not aware. He hosts the server so any questions regarding this should be directed to him.

So, VENIX's stock driver assumes a IBM Fixed Disk Controller, and tries to do DMA with it. I replaced it with an int 13h based driver which seems to work (albiet slowly, since VENIX only requests sectors 1 at a time). I need to get a memory watch kit setup to figure out exactly what's going on, but here's what I know:

On startup, VENIX overrides the entire IVT with one of it's own design. It retains a few vectors (specifically, those listed in the IBM PC Technical References), and then replaces them all with a handler that prints the message "Unknown Interrupt (ignored).

If the XT-IDE Universal BIOS is installed, VENIX prints out two unknown interrupt messages, and then crashes. I think this is a state machine falling apart, but I haven't quite worked out what's going on due to debugging difficulties. If the IVT at C0->C3 is retained with the values from start up, the system boots successfully. All four words MUST be retained. I can reproduce this crash and fix on multiple machines and in emulation.

I need to setup Bochs or another emulator w/ a debugger so I can see what exactly is happening. I suspect something is accidently reading/writing those addresses since I looked through the code for any references and couldn't' find any.

(I'm sorry for the slow responses, my account is low post count, so my posts have to be mod validated, and I don't get email notifications for replies it seems).

Sounds like VENIX is made to work with a very specific machine configuration only, with assumptions like that (IBM's fixed disk controller, overwriting the entire IVT etc) so it's understandable why you're having problems. Probably also explains the reason I've never heard of VENIX before. ;)

Are the vectors at C0h...C3h overwritten only when XUB is installed? (I'm guessing they are not.)

Yeah, it's been down for at least a week now. I hope it's not a serious problem with the server. I've just sent an e-mail to pearce_jj in case he is not aware. He hosts the server so any questions regarding this should be directed to him.

Sorry about this. Server ran in to a bug in Apache. Patched and restarted, let me know if anything is amiss!

not big deal but when I look at diagnostic programs like NSSI then in BIOS summarization header of XTIDE is missed. Not found / unknown.

Back