• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gateway 486 dx2-66v CDROM issues under DOS 6.22

UFlaDave

Hey all,

I'm trying to rebuild an old Gateway 2000 486dx2-66V tower. I found a new old stock Liteon 20x Max CDROM drive with installation floppy for Dos 6.22 to use with this rebuild. I installed the CDROM drive as SLAVE with my 424 mb hdd as the MASTER on the same IDE cable. I ran the installation file on my floppy. All pretty straightforward stuff. However, after my computer posts, it just hangs after the following message - "ATAPI/IDE CD-ROM device driver version 3.7, Nov 1997", with a blinking underscore underneath. Everything worked fine and I was able to boot to the DOS prompt before this cd rom installation. I dug up my old Windows 3.11 cd to use with this computer, but I kind of need the cd rom drive to work to install it! Any ideas?

Dave

If you've got 2 ide channels, might try the cdrom as master on the secondary channel. Try doing an F8 when it starts booting and then single step through config.sys saying 'no' to everything but the cdrom driver. Does CMOS setup see the cdrom?

If you've got 2 ide channels, might try the cdrom as master on the secondary channel. Try doing an F8 when it starts booting and then single step through config.sys saying 'no' to everything but the cdrom driver. Does CMOS setup see the cdrom?

Thanks for your reply. Sadly, this motherboard doesn't have 2 ide channels. Just one 40 pin ide, and one 34 pin floppy. I also tried F8 and stepping through. When I get to the line to load the CD-ROM drive in config.sys, it just hangs on "ATAPI/IDE CD-ROM device driver version 3.7, Nov 1997". Also, i'm running Phoenix Bios Version 1 from 1992. It doesn't give an option to select CD-ROM. So, I just have Hard Disk 1 set for my 424 MB hard drive and Hard Disk 2 set as "Not Installed".

Back