• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Paper tape messages

Jacqui Woodgate

Hi

I am an IT teacher in Swindon, Wilts, UK.

When I qualified (long ago) from Bath University I produced a lesson on coding that used paper tape.

I created a text story and encoded it on paper tape using a teletype machine. I cut the story up into sentences and handed them out to the students who had to decode each sentence then write the sentence on the board. The story gradually developed for all to see.

I have used up all the tapes over the years but would like to repeat the lesson with my new Y12.

Can anyone help to provide the tape if I provide the story?

Jacqueline Woodgate

Hmm, sure you have heard the phrase "good idea but..." --- I did some googling. Most tape places don't even sell computer paper tape anymore. I did see one vendor listed in Brazil who wanted $50.00 american for some reels (out on vacation I guess as item was not available). Anyway, I'm not too hopeful on this one.

I have an ASR33 and a standalone paper tape punch/reader but both are inoperable at the moment.

I know there are people with working teletypes and tape punches out there. I hope someone comes along who can help.

I do have several rolls of buff oiled paper tape. . .

Paper tape

Paper tape

I have an entire case of paper tape that I got off eBay a few years ago.
It's the fan folded stuff for a high speed punch/reader. I'd gladly let you
have one carton from the box. I have no current way to produce punched
paper tape as my machine that has the punch is down.
Tim Radde

Back