• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New Forums nits

So I added some styles, you can choose between them at the bottom right left of the screen (in the footer, there might be some other places, but I am not sure about where).

The three are:

1. Default Style - The one we have been using since the start.
2. Green Phosphor - A Dark theme, with an emphasis on a very similar green from those green phosphor displays (I actually googled the RGB value for the green from those monitors).
3. Dark Style - Similar to the default, but but dark.

There maybe more added as we go, but I think these are good for now.
Hell yes! Thank you so much!

Will probably be using the Green Phosphor theme exclusively. Looks awesome.

Hmm, it seems I cannot edit my own messages past some time. Is that intentional, or a glitch?

Anyway, I post again to complete my previous post with a screenshot of the green phosphor theme:
2022-01-16_forum.vcfed.org_tema-green-phosphor.png

I also see older posts I made I can't edit. I don't remember if there was a time limit on the old forums or not.

There was. The admins have made it clear they clear they care more about the tiny chance of someone deleting their own content out of spite than allowing the conscientious among us to correct our mistakes

The admins have made it clear they clear they care more about the tiny chance of someone deleting their own content out of spite than allowing the conscientious among us to correct our mistakes
It's happened, it's happened more than once, and it's quite destructive when it does.

It appeared to me this morning that the green phosphor theme so many of us like is clashing horribly with the VCF logo and banner up top. green & teal does not an aesthetically pleasing combo make. Talk about a minor nit pick!

Hmm, it seems I cannot edit my own messages past some time. Is that intentional, or a glitch?

The timeout is 120 minutes, and yes this is due to abuse in the past. More than one user received a warning they deserved, but did not like, so they went through and edited every post they made, making a ton of threads useless in the process. Mods had to go back through and restore them. So we have the limit.

@Plasma What do you mean by "asking for teal" You want a style that switches the green for teal?

The timeout is 120 minutes, and yes this is due to abuse in the past. More than one user received a warning they deserved, but did not like, so they went through and edited every post they made, making a ton of threads useless in the process. Mods had to go back through and restore them. So we have the limit.
I also remember that before there was a time limit, some people were adding additional information to their old posts. The most common form was an OP, even months after their initial post, putting additional information into the original post, rather than adding a post.

@Plasma What do you mean by "asking for teal" You want a style that switches the green for teal?
Back when the forum was first demoed I said it should match the teal color scheme on the main page. Then after the first "green experiment" this week I said it would look fine if the green was teal.

But yes, I think a color scheme like green phosphor but with teal would look good. And tie into the design of the main page.

Back when the forum was first demoed I said it should match the teal color scheme on the main page. Then after the first "green experiment" this week I said it would look fine if the green was teal.

But yes, I think a color scheme like green phosphor but with teal would look good. And tie into the design of the main page.
Gotcha, yes, that is a great idea. But you have to remember that you are asking this of someone who, up until a month or so ago, had no idea what "Teal" was. Making the green phosphor was difficult and very frustrating, it took hours of random tries and retries, and it is far from perfect (there are still a few areas where the colors are just not right and affect readability), and that was creating something new. I shudder to think about the process of trying to match something that already exists.

The dark theme was literally just copying color values and places from a post I found where someone else had the same question about creating it.

All of this to say, you are correct, a teal based theme would be great, but your request is not being ignored, it's simply beyond the abilities of my self and the other admins.

It's happened, it's happened more than once, and it's quite destructive when it does.
The correct way of handling this would be to allow the mods/admins to revert edits/deletions by users in this instance after the account is locked. Whether or not that is beyond the capability of this software I don't know

The correct way of handling this would be to allow the mods/admins to revert edits/deletions by users in this instance after the account is locked.
They can do that. They have done that. It's a real pain in the neck for them to do that.

I also remember that before there was a time limit, some people were adding additional information to their old posts. The most common form was an OP, even months after their initial post, putting additional information into the original post, rather than adding a post.
Another option would, perhaps, that the admins might be able to unlock specific post for long term editability (if the forum even supports that) that way folks can request a post be opened up. Both use cases are rare, one use case is more impactful on the community than the other.

Myself, if someone changed an older post, I doubt I'd ever see it unless they also posted "Updated the OP" to tickle the thread, since I only see "new" posts and threads.

Yes, I have wanted to go back and add information to a post or two. I guess you can't help having a few childish folk here that would go back and delete information. That's pretty petty. Kind of like them having a tantrum. You'd think as an adult they would be beyond and above that. Guess not. I do not know of a fix for this beyond the limit.

chjfgj
I understand. But if that situation happened in the past, how come the Admins managed to so deeply annoy a forum member who had contributed so much valuable content?

And this begs the question: does the content not belong to the user who created/posted it?

What Hamlet said about Denmark... or some such.

Back