• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Spam Reporting

mbbrutman

Associate Cat Herder
Staff member
The level of spam that is being posted here is increasing, and we are deleting them as fast as they come, sometimes while the offender is still trying to post copies of the original.

You can 'report' a post to the moderators by using the red triangle icon - it looks like it has an exclamation point in it.

Thank you to those who are actively reporting spam - we do notice and appreciate it, and helps us do our job more effectively. And better yet, it gives us time to read and respond to real posts. :)

Thanks for the info. Just tried it out.
I didn't know the system would make me wait 60 seconds between each report,
or I might have been faster.

The level of spam that is being posted here is increasing, and we are deleting them as fast as they come, sometimes while the offender is still trying to post copies of the original.

You can 'report' a post to the moderators by using the red triangle icon - it looks like it has an exclamation point in it.

Thank you to those who are actively reporting spam - we do notice and appreciate it, and helps us do our job more effectively. And better yet, it gives us time to read and respond to real posts. :)

Any ideas of originating IPs? That way there is a possibility of blocking certain ranges that are unwilling to reform. BTW, I'm able to post from Mexico.

I haven't looked at IP addresses, but I have a better indicator.

If you first message has the word 'Nokia' or 'Xbox' in it, you automatically get banned. :)

Have ya'll enabled email verification and code verification?

Absolutely, but they seem to be using bodies to set up the accounts before unleashing the spambots.

Either that or they've got one nicely coded bot. . .

They are human spammers, I've backtraced a few IP's against the Spammer database, caught a few that lit up red pretty well.

-VK

I don't think that really counts as an ad if your are a member of the ring. I could be mistaken though, but I always thought that just showed that you were a member of the mentioned ring.

TV, Radio, ETC, I see what you mean now. All forms of communication have some form of advertising. Its just not always easy to find.

Anyway, if you spot one spammer posting 10 messages, I'm sure the mods only need one report about the user, not one for each message you spot (unless they originate from different users, of course).

At what point are we allowed to begin considering the spam reports as spam? I had eight in my inbox today, reporting the same two posts...

Suggestion: Before reporting the post, check the 'Views'. If it has been viewed a few times, you're probably safe in assuming it's already been reported by someone. Tnx.

--T

Back