• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

ebay - Visual Commuter

curtis

Veteran Member
Well, here I go again.

Got a Visual Commuter rig on ebay now. Item number is 110058005797 or check my ebay id of mcmccain.

Unit is in nice condition. The spare display in inop, but the plastic is good. Original DOS disk and manuals.

Questions? Fire away.

Curtis

35 lbs, wowie! Well, too big for Chuck, I do believe. I have my M100s and 8201s in a tall pile as it is.

Aw, come on Chuck, don't you think it's about time for a grown up computer?

tongue00154kq.gif

Curtis

Hmm, is there going to be this HUGE radio/record player on the curb when you move?

Nope. Worked a deal with the sole bidder to cover half the reserve of $100, so it'll be going to a good home.

Had kicked around the idea of gutting the phono player and putting in a CD player and storage rack, but decided that would be a little gauche.

I've decided not to foray into areas that I'm not familiar with anymore.

Tried some auctions in vintage cameras and lost my shirt! Wife still rags me about that fiasco. :rolleyes:

Vintage eletronics? Doesn't seem that's my forte either.

So, I guess y'all are stuck with me here!

Curtis

Too funny!! Bad as me! I have lost money BOTH times I purchased company stock (where I worked). I am crappy at doing stock deals.

Ummmn, FWIW, the Commuter is considered by many experts to be the first PC-compat to utilize an LCD screen, which, at 17 lbs, gave it a distinct size/weight advantage over the other luggables of it's day (Compaq, etc). I think that gives it collectable status, even though they are often overlooked by collectors. Also, the expansion connector is supposedly compatible with the IBM Expansion Chassis.
I'd bid on it, just for the accessories (case, etc), but I don't wanna bid against Bill (of course, if he gets outbid, then it's fair game).

--T

Last edited:
I'd really like to have a Commuter but I can't justify the shipping on such a heavy item from that far away.

Ummmn, FWIW, the Commuter is considered by many experts to be the first PC-compat to utilize an LCD screen, which, at 17 lbs, gave it a distinct size/weight advantage over the other luggables of it's day (Compaq, etc). I think that gives it collectable status, even though they are often overlooked by collectors. Also, the expansion connector is supposedly compatible with the IBM Expansion Chassis.
I'd bid on it, just for the accessories (case, etc), but I don't wanna bid against Bill (of course, if he gets outbid, then it's fair game).

--T

Got the bit about the first LCD PC-compatible in the auction. Didn't know about the expansion connector.

Isn't it a trip that a 17 lb portable is considered to have an advantage over other portables! Shows how much things have changed.

Curtis

--T

Don't worry about that Terry. If you want it, by all means bid higher. I didn't bid to lock anyone out, I bid because I had genuine interest in it. Honestly, that interest does not extend to a bidding war, so if you want it "more", then certainly you or anyone else should have it.

Don't worry about that Terry. If you want it, by all means bid higher. I didn't bid to lock anyone out, I bid because I had genuine interest in it. Honestly, that interest does not extend to a bidding war, so if you want it "more", then certainly you or anyone else should have it.

AW COME ON!!! Let's have a bidding war!!! I'll root for both sides!
110104_emM5.gif

Just kidding.

Curtis

They come up on daBay from time to time, but never seem to do much. Last one I sold (lil over a year ago) went for $9.99, but that was the model without the LCD. FWIW, I've never seen one this loaded though.

--T

If either of you do get outbid, you could combine resources and y'all could work out who got what!

Curtis

You guys are all lucky that I'm poor right now, because I'm tempted to bid while you're all arguing about "you take it; no you take it"...

Huh? on bidding war? Think Curtis should get more than $10.01? I really don't understand increasing the bid.

OK, let the bidding war commence.

One question tho, Curtis. How did you manage to get such a good shot of the (non-backlit) LCD screen?

--T

Easy. Overhead light, flash, and ZOOOOOOOM really close, then edit picture enhancing contrast!

That is the only editing I've done to any of the pics tho. Only did that to prove it works and document what I was saying when describing the unit.

You're right about the LCD screen tho. Royal pain to get a good shot of.

Curtis

Back