• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PS3 mania on ebay

chuckcmagee

Veteran Member
They are going crazy over those PlayStation 3 on ebay. I can feel the warmth from the ebay servers from here in Nevada. The one I watched them fight over 2 minutes ago went for $710 for 20GB one, geez.

Last edited:
Shootings, stabbings, general brawling/rioting, robbings, folks standing in line for 3 days in freezing rain...

Anyone with half-a-brain should be able to figger out that the limited release (400,000 in USA) was just a publicity stunt intended to generate that sort of behavior by making them appear scarce, and that within a couple of weeks, the market will be flooded with a few million of 'em.

--T

Anyone with half-a-brain should be able to figger out that the limited release (400,000 in USA) was just a publicity stunt intended to generate that sort of behavior by making them appear scarce, and that within a couple of weeks, the market will be flooded with a few million of 'em.

--T

That's not quite the story.

You could have said that about the rollout of the XBox 360 last year. The PS3 is a bit different. Sony has been struggling for over a year with the blue laser needed for the DVD. Given the problems they had with the rechargeable Lithium ion batteries and now cameras, they need revenue - lots of it. So quite frankly, if they had the units to sell, they'd make them available and sell them.

There won't be a million of them in a few weeks .. they really are that scarce.

After reading of stabbings, mugerrey(sp?) and shootings, one wonders if Sony did Not see this coming.

Mr. Sony: I'm afraid we only manufactered 400,000 in the first run.
Mr. Public: Gah! Only 400,000 PS3s!?!
Mr. Sony: Yes. Yes indeed.
Mr. Public; I'd kill* for one of those!
Mr. Sony: Really? Oh well, I'm sure that attitude only holds with less than half the population. Its a sacrifice I am willing to make. Back to production!

:confused:

*or at least maim

What is the alternative, that Sony fills up warehouse after warehouse with units - risk of burglary - until they have a few million units to unload onto the desperately waiting market? In the mean time, Sony has less and less positive cash flow. If the PS3 fails to take the market shares they expect, it probably is the end of a decade long gaming career.

I thought all PS3 had to be pre-ordered, but of course it doesn't stop anyone from robbing, stabbing or whatever to get ahold of one from a legitimate buyer.

By the way, I'm too lazy and not interested to look up the RRP for PS3, but what are you supposed to pay in the USA? Over here, with 25% VAT, ridiculous exchange rates and whats not, $700 for a PS3 would be below the RRP. Here, people speak about paying 10000 SEK ($1400) for an imported NTSC PS3, and that would be a somewhat "fair" price.

I stand corrected, mebbe it wasn't entirely a publicity gimmick, but I have to agree with Beeb. Sony knew, or should have known that thier lil' stunt was predictable to have the effect that it did, and they certainly intended to capitalize on it. Mebbe I'm overly suspicious, but I can easily imagine a scenario like BBC's unfolding in some Madison Ave. boardroom (In fact, I find it difficult to believe that the potential for violence was not discussed). Of course, Yager's rebuttal applies in this case. It is impossible to adequately determine if Sony's intent was malicious, hoping that violence would erupt, or just plain incompetance (gee, <blink blink>, we didn't know...).

--T

Last edited:
I've never played the real game, but just thought of the title "Grand Theft PSP". :yell:

playstation 3 mania

playstation 3 mania

Well there is always somthing that makes people go crazy and this year is playstation 3. Anybody remember when they will killing eachother over cabbage patch kids?

I read an online review, made by a professional writer who had access to all (?) games so far available for the Sony PlayStation 3. To make a long story short, it was not flattering and a number of weaknesses and shortcomings were pointed out. Some may be possible to fix with software upgrades - perhaps downloadable - but some are part of the design. For what it is worth, if Sony already has difficulties to manufacture a lot of units, maybe they'll look into if they can fix some of the issues and by the spring when the unit is planned to be released in Europe have a PS3 Mk II. Yet another reason to wait to buy it. Furthermore it takes a while before the really good games arrive.

I'll just wait a few years, heck, I got my first N64 LAST YEAR. Sound area thrifts are great for finding old consoles if you know where to look. If I waited almost 8-10 years to get an N64, I can wait another 8-10 for a PS3, and I won't have to get killed in line to get it.

Back