• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CBM 8032 "factory upgrade" to SuperPET

lucyferpl

First of all I would like to say hello to you.
I have recently bought from the UK, a CBM 8032 computer which includes a memory expansion card and a SuperPet expansion board. At first I was confused seeing that computer has only two switches (read, read/write, program) and (6809/6502, program)
I read that there were different versions of SuperPET and that some boards don't need switches (ON/OFF UD11) and ROM(UD12)/RAM
But today I found an extra cable in my computer case, which matches the missing set of switches...
Could you please help me to find the exact locations of all cables?
I don't have a set of the switches shown in the second picture, so I have to buy them myself and make them into a properly working set

A883AE86-5488-4358-9CF3-8B0ED9A64011.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
commodore-8032-superpet-ud11-ud12-ram_1_891f4cca2f2179a013f397eb3fd078ef.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited:
The later version of the SuperPET with combined CPU and Memory board has only the two switches.
Yours is the "3 board" version which has the extra switches.
I did a video on a SP9000 restore not long ago, here's a link. SP9000 Disassembly

Photo showing the switches and wires. The switches disable a couple of the ROM sockets.
Here's a brief explanation of the switched sockets, which aren't really needed unless you have EPROMs in those sockets Switched Sockets

My switch goes to a 3-pin header on the processor board, next to the serial port, but you seem to have a different version that doesn't have that 3-pin header.
I've never seen those wires soldered to the bottom of the mainboard. Strange.

SP9000switches.JPG

Last edited:
The later version of the SuperPET with combined CPU and Memory board has only the two switches.
I did a video on a SP9000 restore not long ago, here's a link. SP9000 Disassembly

Photo showing the switches and wires. The switches disable a couple of the ROM sockets.
Here's a brief explanation of the switched sockets, which aren't really needed unless you have EPROMs in those sockets Switched Sockets

My switch goes to a 3-pin header on the processor board, next to the serial port, but you seem to have a different version that doesn't have that 3-pin header.

View attachment 1242342

View attachment 1242342
Yesterday I was able to establish an rs232(SuperPET) connection via db25 to db9 adapter, null modem and db9 to USB cable.
2BE0C29A-294D-47A2-BD0A-54C5ED51671A.jpeg
Connect to PC - login from SuperPET to linux on PC and load program from PC memory to SuperPET. Unfortunately the whole thing ended with a strange error.
C9CCCD0A-BF39-408B-BBC5-6D00C9AB11F4.jpeg
Now I wonder what was the cause. Was the lack of these switches the cause of the error. I'm still not sure how to create the missing switches and where exactly they must be connected. Additionally I found that I have two more problems. One with shifted to the left bottom corner - the screen. 4E342EB4-3282-43DB-8383-1D736C03C4F0.jpeg

The second (most probably) with the transformer in the 8050 which after 10 minutes of work starts to generate an intolerable sound.

Does the superpet load correctly from the 8050 ?
The funny character on the screen to me from my experience indicates a bad load which could also be memory… hence my question..

I can load basic from a PETsd+ but never tried it over serial. The Waterloo programs can Be a bit picky when loading and running.

I am a little confused with your photographs.

The 'p' command (passthrough) from the Waterloo microMonitor turns the SuperPET into a 'glass terminal'. Fine, you can log into a remote system etc.

I am then not sure what command(s) you have entered to get the next screen "Loading 'host.waterloo/basic'".

I am used to using HOSTCM on the remote computer and invoking the various Waterloo languages via the menu.

The other possibility to consider is how the serial cable is wired between the SuperPET and the host computer. For example, are the hardware handshake lines being used or not.

http://mikenaberezny.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/hostcm_tutorial.pdf (Windows and *NIX variants are now available of course).

http://dunfield.classiccmp.org/pet/sp6809as.pdf (page 163).

You may also want to checkout http://mikenaberezny.com/hardware/superpet/waterloo-languages/ for the Waterloo software where I have removed the 6702 protection (just in case your chip goes wrong).

Dave

Last edited:
First of all, thank you to everyone who has responded in this thread.

I was able to solve the problem with the monitor and center it. Now the image is displayed correctly.

666.jpg

Another thing: I moved 4 rows of 8 memory blocks in the memory expansion board and repeated the tests with loading programs. As most of the people thought, it turned out that weird mark on the screen was caused by ram memory failure. I ordered 50 new ram chips. I will replace them all in a week and then I can look for the damaged chips.

777.jpg

The only thing left to solve is a missing set of switches. Could someone please take high resolution pictures showing sockets, cable connections and cable connections in the switches so I can build my own set of switches and connect the cables to the right places in the DIP stand and expansion boards.

The only thing left to solve is a missing set of switches. Could someone please take high resolution pictures showing sockets, cable connections and cable connections in the switches so I can build my own set of switches and connect the cables to the right places in the DIP stand and expansion boards.
Here's a close up and description of the wiring on the two option ROM sockets.
The switch breaks or connects pin 20 with a pullup resistor in the socket to pull it high when it's disconnected.
Link1 Note: I can't seem to insert a YouTube link without the system changing it to an embedded video.
Here's a clip of me repairing the socket, showing the specific connections.
Link2

Here's a photo of the switch for UD12 (before I repaired it). The switch for UD11 is different and is missing on my PET.
The UD11 switch only has two wires that go to the socket but the UD12 switch has extra wires that go to the processor board.
Yours is different, so I don't know if you have the wires to the proc board.
IMG_8811.JPG

Thank you for your reply. I still don't understand much of it. I am wondering how many pins per cable should switches have, are there switches that have 6 pins 3x2?
Yesterday I watched a presentation by a professor from Waterloo, he used the sys40960 command to run "waterloo structured basic" in 6502 mode
B68B4F67-E208-41AE-9A1E-CA6A4C7DB7FB.jpg
On my computer the effect was like this
3CEE2E8E-DA7F-4F1D-8FD2-403229D1F54E(1).jpg

Here I found the missing rom
EC86EE08-A146-4A1B-A3B2-EEBA096FA051(1).jpg

A friend in the UK downloaded it and burned it to a memory stick rom, installed it in his computer and he says it still doesn't work - we have identical machines - what could be the cause? what are we doing wrong?

First of all, thank you to everyone who has responded in this thread.

I was able to solve the problem with the monitor and center it. Now the image is displayed correctly.

View attachment 1242524

Another thing: I moved 4 rows of 8 memory blocks in the memory expansion board and repeated the tests with loading programs. As most of the people thought, it turned out that weird mark on the screen was caused by ram memory failure. I ordered 50 new ram chips. I will replace them all in a week and then I can look for the damaged chips.

View attachment 1242525

Have you run the SuperPET burnin programme to identify the bad ram ? If all the RAM is bad that points to something else …

with Regards to the rom switches. The superPET ram board uses banked ram from $9000 so the switch is used to disable any conflicts with the mainboard for that memory Location. I too have that switch which plugs into the main SuperPET board. it Needs to be fitted for the superpet to work if the main SP board expects it. I actually made a jumper connector to always disable the rom slot as my PET has lots of boards inside. I may have photos of the wiring but if not will take some. I have never seen it wired underneath the board but there is always a first time.

Ignore the winbond rom boards - that’s so I can switch between 40 and 80 columns (Modified the code accordingly). I would out a similar jumper across the pins 1 and 3 to disable the motherboard $9000 memory space and then run the burnin program to identify any bad ram. My board will not run without this in place. (I don’t need the switches due to having other boards installed)

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I still don't understand much of it. I am wondering how many pins per cable should switches have, are there switches that have 6 pins 3x2?
Yesterday I watched a presentation by a professor from Waterloo, he used the sys40960 command to run "waterloo structured basic" in 6502 mode
View attachment 1242542
On my computer the effect was like this
View attachment 1242543

Here I found the missing rom
View attachment 1242544

A friend in the UK downloaded it and burned it to a memory stick rom, installed it in his computer and he says it still doesn't work - we have identical machines - what could be the cause? what are we doing wrong?
The rom code in the binary is compiled to $9000 UD12 and the video is for the rom compiled at UD11 $A000. If you put it in UD12 and type sys 36864 it will work. Done it myself a few years ago

Last edited:
The value in the accumulator does match the rom dump for sure. So with the rom installed, type sys 1024 to enter TIM and then m 9000 9000 to display the first 8 bytes at that memory location. It maybe still pointing to the SP ram.

Are those switches connected to the SP board and the adapter installed on the motherboard or is the rom just plugged into the motherboard ?

I can send you the superpet burnin programme if you PM me your emails address.

The value in the accumulator does match the rom dump for sure. So with the rom installed, type sys 1024 to enter TIM and then m 9000 9000 to display the first 8 bytes at that memory location. It maybe still pointing to the SP ram.

Are those switches connected to the SP board and the adapter installed on the motherboard or is the rom just plugged into the motherboard ?

I can send you the superpet burnin programme if you PM me your emails address.
I found it here: https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?t...ion-dimm-troubleshooting.1219651/post-1219707
Is it a regular program or does it require any special form of execution? Is it for 6809 or 6502?

The answer above was written by my friend from the UK who burned the ROM yesterday, unfortunately I don't have an emprom programmer so I will have to wait until he checks what you write about

Ah I was looking for that as thought I had posted it somewhere…. It’s run from 6502. It’s a machine code program. It will bomb out at the first bad ram chip but you can patch the code to keep it running to look at all of them as stated in the post. However, do you have a means to load it such as a PETsd ?

Do you have the SuperPET with you or it is at your friends (sorry am confused as thought you have the rom chip installed in your machine) ?

Ah I was looking for that as thought I had posted it somewhere…. It’s run from 6502. It’s a machine code program. It will bomb out at the first bad ram chip but you can patch the code to keep it running to look at all of them as stated in the post. However, do you have a means to load it such as a PETsd ?

Do you have the SuperPET with you or it is at your friends (sorry am confused as thought you have the rom chip installed in your machine) ?
We have two identical machines.
The distance between us is 1754km
but we're in touch.

My SuperPET is still not fully operational.
I am waiting for new memories, probably on Tuesday I will have them installed in my computer.
The friend I mentioned lives in UK, he has second SuperPET and his own emprom burner.

At this moment I have only the possibility to load programs via rs232 port from laptop to SuperPET in 6809 mode

I tried to copy a program file from you via PIP for SuperPET to 5.25 floppy disk in 8050 drive, but due to some RAM problems the files are not written correctly: they have strange names

I will try to convert the PRG file to tap and load it via tapuino from SD

Back