• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CBM 8032 "factory upgrade" to SuperPET

The value in the accumulator does match the rom dump for sure. So with the rom installed, type sys 1024 to enter TIM and then m 9000 9000 to display the first 8 bytes at that memory location. It maybe still pointing to the SP ram.
After typing sys1024 and m9000 9000 here is what I see

Attachments

• AB65125E-C883-4F9F-BC04-26A25020581D.jpeg
    AB65125E-C883-4F9F-BC04-26A25020581D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
I replaced 40 ram 4116 chips, 32 of which are on the memory expansion board and 8 on the motherboard

Still when trying to load any program Waterloo gets the same error

I have no idea what could be the cause 4BEB612D-BA0B-4D77-963D-08E514D8C30A.jpeg
09A6311D-65E5-4F75-A6D4-5CF6E76086BD.jpeg

That usually indicates that there is no EPROM in the socket $9000 UD12 socket. Is the UD12 switch hooked up correctly?
Yes, that's correct, u11/12 are blank, what kind of emprom should be there and what kind of rom image should be burned into it? This week I will be preparing the missing pair of switches responsible for running the ram/rom u11/12

Attachments

• F95470C8-67BA-4EB5-878E-E90988F16B15.jpeg
    F95470C8-67BA-4EB5-878E-E90988F16B15.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 6
Yes, that's correct, u11/12 are blank, what kind of emprom should be there and what kind of rom image should be burned into it? This week I will be preparing the missing pair of switches responsible for running the ram/rom u11/12
No EPROMs are needed. The switch is just to allow one to be used if wanted. The NOROM signal is not compatible with EPROMs so the switch is a kind of work-around.

No EPROMs are needed. The switch is just to allow one to be used if wanted. The NOROM signal is not compatible with EPROMs so the switch is a kind of work-around.
If I understand correctly the u11/12 slots should contain an emprom 2532 along with a rom image of whatever we want to have "at hand" in my case I care about "Waterloo structured basic" addon to basic 4 for 6502

If I understand correctly the switch allows to choose if the emprom code or the extra ram should be active? The question is if it adds +4kb or +64kb?

Could the lack of this switch cause the error seen in earlier posts? On the screen

If I understand correctly the u11/12 slots should contain an emprom 2532 along with a rom image of whatever we want to have "at hand" in my case I care about "Waterloo structured basic" addon to basic 4 for 6502

Yes. You can try EPROM anytime in 6502 mode only. If you want to go to 6809 mode without crashing, you will need UD11/12 switch in place.

If I understand correctly the switch allows to choose if the emprom code or the extra ram should be active? The question is if it adds +4kb or +64kb?

in 6502, you get 4K EPROM data or 4K paged RAM data at $9000.

Could the lack of this switch cause the error seen in earlier posts? On the screen

Since you had no EPROM installed, no I don't think so.

Yes. You can try EPROM anytime in 6502 mode only. If you want to go to 6809 mode without crashing, you will need UD11/12 switch in place.

in 6502, you get 4K EPROM data or 4K paged RAM data at $9000.

Since you had no EPROM installed, no I don't think so.
Thank you very much for all the answers.

I have replaced the entire ram. It did not bring any changes.
I tested programs from Waterloo with protection and modified (without protection). Versions 1.0 and 2.0
I tested them with and without 6702 chip installed in computer (this small board) without any positive result.
I still don't know what's the reason that programs larger than 20kB won't run in computer nor any of Waterloo's programs.
Do you have any idea where to look for the problem now? Or how else can I check if the memory expansion card is working properly?

First thing, have you used my PETTESTER ROM to test out the 6502 PET itself?

Second thing, I did ask a question back in post #5 about how you are loading programs into the 6809.

If I remember correctly, there are some diagnostics for the SuperPET. I can’t quite remember at the moment where they are though...

I am currently writing a SuperPET memory tester for use in a 6502 ROM socket. But this is a longer term project than your timescales though!

Dave

First thing, have you used my PETTESTER ROM to test out the 6502 PET itself?

Second thing, I did ask a question back in post #5 about how you are loading programs into the 6809.

If I remember correctly, there are some diagnostics for the SuperPET. I can’t quite remember at the moment where they are though...

I am currently writing a SuperPET memory tester for use in a 6502 ROM socket. But this is a longer term project than your timescales though!

Dave
Unfortunately I'm still looking for a suitable programmer for rom 2532
So I didn't have a chance to test my computer with PETTESTER ROM

Programs for the 6809 are loaded in the following way
I connect my laptop with Linux to monitor in P mode and load files to SuperPET memory directly via rs232 cable

I have a 8050 drive but I still wait for zoomfloops to arrive - so I can't record d64/d80 images directly to 5.25 floppy but with the help of PIP I can copy single files only their names are oddly written e.g. "30x50%!" Etc

"I am currently writing a SuperPET memory tester for use in a 6502 ROM socket." - wow, I'm curious to see the results

>>> Programs for the 6809 are loaded in the following way
I connect my laptop with Linux to monitor in P mode and load files to SuperPET memory directly via rs232 cable.

Are you sure that works? I am not...

Dave

>>> Programs for the 6809 are loaded in the following way
I connect my laptop with Linux to monitor in P mode and load files to SuperPET memory directly via rs232 cable.

Are you sure that works? I am not...

Dave
With this method I successfully loaded any program up to 20kB, including the floppy tester, the aforementioned PIP for copying data from server to floppy, com-master and other programs

None of the Waterloo programs loaded successfully

It also crossed my mind that maybe this method does not work for Waterloo programs, but my friend is using it with rassperi pi with 100% success

You go into the Waterloo Monitor and type 'p'.

You log into your remote machine.

What do you then type to perform the load?

This is why I am suggesting using HOSTCM on your remote machine, that is guaranteed to work (he says)...

Dave

You go into the Waterloo Monitor and type 'p'.

You log into your remote machine.

What do you then type to perform the load?

This is why I am suggesting using HOSTCM on your remote machine, that is guaranteed to work (he says)...

Dave
I use hostcm

Attachments

• 6BF25C1B-2C3F-471D-9108-20E4A823A963.jpeg
    6BF25C1B-2C3F-471D-9108-20E4A823A963.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 6
  • B671C722-14E5-45A4-9906-B966CEB02A1F.jpeg
    B671C722-14E5-45A4-9906-B966CEB02A1F.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 6
  • 10D71FDF-5486-4635-B864-034F646518CC.jpeg
    10D71FDF-5486-4635-B864-034F646518CC.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 6
  • A7CAC5F9-B11D-429F-ABC3-72C5BE3CD509.jpeg
    A7CAC5F9-B11D-429F-ABC3-72C5BE3CD509.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 6
  • F1A97297-3ACB-42C9-8998-CEC72E7A6CE4.jpeg
    F1A97297-3ACB-42C9-8998-CEC72E7A6CE4.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
OK - I understand more now...

So, I am not sure what you are using the waterlooMonitor 'p' command for?

It looks like you are trying to start HOSTCM on the remote machine via the SuperPET using the serial port. Is this correct? If so, you are trying to use the serial port for two different (and potentially incompatible) things - the serial terminal and the HOSTCM protocol - concurrently.

The other possibility is you are overrunning the serial port at the baudrate you are using - either due to missing hardware handshake lines or something is not setup to use the hardware handshake lines. How is the serial cable constructed (pinouts)?

I am just throwing out a few ideas for you to consider.

Dave

OK - I understand more now...

So, I am not sure what you are using the waterlooMonitor 'p' command for?

It looks like you are trying to start HOSTCM on the remote machine via the SuperPET using the serial port. Is this correct? If so, you are trying to use the serial port for two different (and potentially incompatible) things - the serial terminal and the HOSTCM protocol - concurrently.

The other possibility is you are overrunning the serial port at the baudrate you are using - either due to missing hardware handshake lines or something is not setup to use the hardware handshake lines. How is the serial cable constructed (pinouts)?

I am just throwing out a few ideas for you to consider.

Dave
I'm not sure but I think you're looking in the wrong place. If any of the connection steps were wrong no program would load properly.

I am looking at your posted photographs and seeing the duplicated text and error messages that are displayed. This is indicative that something is clearly amiss between the SP9000 and HOSTCM to me.

I am sure you have read this http://mikenaberezny.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/hostcm_tutorial.pdf but, unfortunately, it is not for the Linux/Windows variant of HOSTCM.

You shouldn't be getting the error messages etc. that you appear to be getting if things are setup correctly.

Actually, if the connection steps were wrong, this is exactly the behaviour you could observe - that of working with small programs and not larger programs.

Just my ten pence/cents. Please ignore if you wish.

Dave

I am looking at your posted photographs and seeing the duplicated text and error messages that are displayed. This is indicative that something is clearly amiss between the SP9000 and HOSTCM to me.

I am sure you have read this http://mikenaberezny.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/hostcm_tutorial.pdf but, unfortunately, it is not for the Linux/Windows variant of HOSTCM.

You shouldn't be getting the error messages etc. that you appear to be getting if things are setup correctly.

Actually, if the connection steps were wrong, this is exactly the behaviour you could observe - that of working with small programs and not larger programs.

Just my ten pence/cents. Please ignore if you wish.

Dave
Don't be misled by the errors in the earlier screenshots. These were the only photos I had at hand. It took me two days to configure everything so that it does not generate any errors. Everything is working now, programs are uploading without any problems. I still have problems with Waterloo software and programs larger than 20kB, as if ram expansion board is not working properly or one of chips translating ram address.

I'm just trying to get some additional hardware to help with the diagnostics. Waiting for the ordered stuff may take some time.

On my Superpet I found I needed the rom switch in place. You can put a jump wire as I have shown in one of the photos and then when in Superpet mode select monitor

Then display the first few bytes of ram after $9000 using the d command.

d 9000-9020

Try changing the ram contents by over typing and see if it is retained by typing d 9000 again

I am not by my Superpet right now so cannot give you the full syntax.

The b n command where n = 0 to f I think selects different banks of ram

Last edited:
Back