• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Old compaq; re-use the monitor?

elcamino0

Hello, I have a question regarding a compaq presario computer/CRT combo I found in the trash. I was able to boot the system so I know it works, but the hardware is out dated. The chasy is quite roomy so I had the idea to gut it, and use the monitor. I'm early in my studies as an electrical engineering student, so I have basic circuitry/computer knowledge.

Question: Is it possible to use the CRT without any of the computer components ?

If so, how difficult might this be? It most likely would need a new video input since it won't have the video card or anything else.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
-elcamino0

In Short NO!

Long answer, maybe... The problem is that many times when the screen was integrated the manufacturer would use a proprietary video card and proprietary hookup to the screen, sometimes leaving out components you would find if you indeed had a monitor with a port on the back. Many times the monitors power supply also fired the computer portion or vice versa.

The only way to know would be to break out the video connector from the computer to the monitor (wherever it may be hiding) and check voltages and hopefully visually determine RGB+HV cables from the rest of the mess so you can see if the computer portion can fire up a normal monitor with the output it makes, if so then you need to do the opposite from the monitor side and hookup you new mobo and video through a cable you will no doubt have to make.

Not easy and usually not worth the effort.

Thanks, very helpful. So far I've found that the monitor connection (vga?) comes from the mother board and yes the power supply drives both the CRT and computer. Does the power distribution vary or will the removal of components cause an overload some where? Is there a possibility of isolating the CRT wires if power is not an issue.

Also, I have no plans to keep anything other than the monitor. Everything else has been removed.

Back