• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore 64 place to get parts

That's the guy that stole my domain name! :)

Actually, he had vintagecomputer before I obtained vintage-computer but he hadn't yet done anything with it.

I'm glad he's got a site up now!

Thanks for the link!

Erik

I did some looking around (google search) and found a phone number and address for this person. It's aka Williamsberg Enterprises, near San Diego. If anyone can get over there, here's the address:

2400 Alpine Blvd

When I posted this long, long ago I didn't know it was gonna die. Anyways, He has atari and amiga hardware that I'm iterested in, but there's nothing on the site about contacting, and also the thing is OLD. I am guessing this is some kind of thrift store. Is anyone in the SD area and can go see if it's still there? I'm gonna try the phone number.

Did some more looking with Ahm and found out that that store is OPEN! And pretty good prices, too. I had to call, but they are on ebay as billc64. IF you decide to call, ask for Bill or Herb. Just in time for Christmas!

KUDOS to Ahm!

Bah, I just pointed out the obvious. :)

Did you tell them how hard it was to find their contact info?
Maybe they'll find a better webmaster.
Those pages are hideous.
The photos aren't exactly clear either.

Or maybe it's just my cold making me all grumpy.

The pics are fuzzy because they have been reduced in size. Badly "stairstepped" which make them look bad.

I'll call him back in a few days, I wanna order something. I'll give him some feedback, too. He didn't sound like he was "all there." Honestly. He said he checked the website and that it was fine, so I think his version of "fine" is different than ours. Plenty of stuff for sale, though, he did verify that much. The number (for those interested) is 619-445-8432.

Hope you get better Ahm. Sucks being sick in the winter.

Nathan

That site looks so old and abandoned to me, has an early 1990's look to it.

$245 for an Amiga 2000, get real!

That site looks so old and abandoned to me, has an early 1990's look to it.

$245 for an Amiga 2000, get real!
Some of his prices do seem a little... dated. I bet most of them have changed, though. I'd sure like to get up there. or get somebody up there (or down there). It's an antique store also, so most of that stuff is just sitting, gathering dust. Business sense dictates that if a product doesn't move it doesn't produce. Reminds me of the guy at radio shack that had owned it for the past 25 years or so, and still had old stock that he was trying to sell (like an external 5.25" drive that I gave him $20 for, he told me he "was losing a lot of money on that." I agree, but that was years ago). Still has a neat collection of stuff for sale, but at retail price. Nice show stuff. All of it was nearly mint. But not worth retail. He might go down.

I know what you speak about. The person from where I have acquired and traded a fair bit of Commodore PETs recently, used to still charge the 1983 list price as late as 1993. A few years later, he closed the business and moved all the leftover stock to his house, where it has have sat in the basement and garage for 10+ years. Now, he's happy for every item that can find a new owner, and he gets a bit of money for it as well.

Perhaps there is the distinction. As long as you have room and can afford to store old stuff, you are reluctant to sell it cheap (or reasonably priced even). Then one day when your conditions change, you might be happy just to get rid of the stock.

I don't suppose there's any kind of Commodore Pet registry, is there? I'm curious to know how old my Pet is. It does have a Dataset, but it's loose, like the ones that came with the C64, and not built-in. Seems to work all right, but I've never played much with it ... I learned BASIC in 1979 and quickly forgot all the commands except for ?

Previously we browsed around Internet for references to serial numbers of various PET 2001s. As far as I know, only the first model 2001, the one with the small keyboard has a built-in tape recorder. All the subsequent PETs has it external, or often an IEEE disk drive. If you know which model your PET is, it can help identifying which year it was released. Sometimes opening it and reading dates on motherboard or chips can give clues too.

Some people think if they don't sell an item at a loss it is still worth what they paid for it and sooner or later somebody will want it at the old list price. After a decade or 2 people get tired of looking at the mess and want it gone, reality takes time to creep in.

I live just under a 2-hour drive away from Alpine, Calif., where this guy's store is located. I may have to drive down there and check it out one of these days... When I do, I'll let you all know about it... :)

-Andrew

I live just under a 2-hour drive away from Alpine, Calif., where this guy's store is located. I may have to drive down there and check it out one of these days... When I do, I'll let you all know about it... :)

-Andrew
Cool! Local contact! Awesome! I just wonder what *isn't* listed!

Well... looks like a visit isn't going to happen. I sent "billc64" a message on eBay, expressing interesting in stopping by and checking out his shop. This was his reply:

==============
Hi, and thanks for your email. sorry...we are Mail-Order and Internet only. billc64
==============

Oh well... :-(

-Andrew

Oooo, Alpine! I used to drive by there all the time on my way from San Diego to Anza Burrego desert to go dune buggy riding. Some people where I worked in Lemon Grove lived in Alpine too.

You might check out this guy's store while you're at it:

www.64andmore.com

He also only deals online... but he'll arrange for local pickup to save on shipping. He's also in the San Diego area...

-Andrew

Back