• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

* Pictures *

Computer Collector

Experienced Member
I thought you guys might appreciate these.

Your best buddy,
Computer Collector

Attachments

• comp4.JPG
    comp4.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 1
  • COMP5.JPG
    COMP5.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 1
  • COMP6.JPG
    COMP6.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 1
heres another 3, and theres still many more to go!

Attachments

• COMP7.JPG
    COMP7.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 1
  • COMP8.JPG
    COMP8.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 1
  • COMP9.JPG
    COMP9.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 1
These 3 are intersting. What do you know about these?

Attachments

• comp1.JPG
    comp1.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 1
  • comp2.JPG
    comp2.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 1
  • comp3.JPG
    comp3.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I still love COBOL, just don't want to have to do anything useful with it. I had a recent project that would have been easy in COBOL. I needed to chop off the last 92 bytes of each 348 byte record. Of course, that would be close to trivial in c, using pipes on the command line.

Im going to post some more pictures in the near future. but I have a question. The 2nd picture (titled comp5) has a guy at a computer. What kind of computer is that?

by the way, all these pictures are taken from old books that I found

Attachments

• comp 12.JPG
    comp 12.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 1
  • comp11.JPG
    comp11.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 1
  • comp10.JPG
    comp10.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 1
The 2nd picture (titled comp5) has a guy at a computer. What kind of computer is that?

It's a blurry picture of a terminal.
Impossible to tell what kind of computer the terminal is connected to.
But with a little imagination, the plate on the front of the terminal might say "ADDS".
It's similar in shape to my old ADDS Consul 980, except I don't see any yellow or orange keys on the keyboard.
Perhaps it's another model, like a Consul 580?

About the picture in comp1.JPG:

It's an IBM-360 installation. The picture is kind of grainy but, according to my eyes, here's what equipment the picture consists of:

The CPU (rear, center of picture) appears to be an IBM 360 model 40 (IBM-2040). Just to the right of the chair is the IBM-1050 console, which was nothing more than an IBM Selectric typewriter that was adapted for this purpose.

There are tape drives on both sides of the CPU but I don't know what their model numbers are because the 360 environment I worked with had Potter tape drives instead of IBM (although we did have an IBM-2415 tape unit before we upgraded to the Potter tape drives). You can only see a portion of what I think would have been the (IBM-2803?) tape unit controller next to the left most tape drive.

There are two boxes behind the tape drives on either side of the CPU. I'm going to guess one is the IBM-2821 control unit (for the IBM-2540 card reader/punch and IBM-1403 printer) and the other is the 2841 DASD control unit (for the IBM-2311's).

In the left foreground are two IBM-2311 disk drives. These used mountable disk packs that had a capacity of 7.5MB. Assuming these were the only two disk storage devices attached to the CPU, I would say the applications run this particular installation were magnetic tape oriented.

Behind and to the left of the IBM-2311 units is an IBM-2540 card reader/punch. You can see the Hollerith cards in the feed hopper of the punch side of the machine. The punch speed was up to 300 cpm. The reader side read cards up to 1,000 cpm and was equipped with a file feed (the shiny rectangular thing sticking up from the far side of the IBM-2540 that's partially blocking the view of the second tape drive from the left). What you can't see on the IBM 2540 are the five card stackers in the center of the machine. Two were accessable only from the punch side and two were accessable only from the reader side. The third could be accessed from either side which made it possible to merge cards from both the punch and reader. However, it took some special skills to program this because of the speed difference (300 vs 1,000 cpm) of the two devices.

There's no printer shown in the picture but judging from all the equipment being used in this installation, I would have to say it was an IBM-1403.

Last edited:
It's a blurry picture of a terminal.
Impossible to tell what kind of computer the terminal is connected to.
But with a little imagination, the plate on the front of the terminal might say "ADDS".
It's similar in shape to my old ADDS Consul 980, except I don't see any yellow or orange keys on the keyboard.
Perhaps it's another model, like a Consul 580?

Yep, my imagination comes up with ADDS also. He is doing weather stuff, no doubt. See all the ISOBAR charts on the walls.

Yep, he's right! On everything! The tape drives are probably 2401 model 2s or 3s. Meaning 75 IPS or 112.5 IPS @ 800 BPI NRZI only (or 556, 200BPI for backward compatability. These pinch-roller drives came in either 7 Track or 9 Track and would use a 2403/2404 or later, a 2803 Control Unit. Interestingly. the 2404/2804 controllers were SIMs units, meaning one drive could be writing while another could be reading, IBM did this by adding a second gate of read logic.

The Potter 2400 tape drives were a solid improvement!

The 1052 console typewriter could break a tilt or rotate tape and you were DOWN until a tech replaced the part!

The 2311 DASD units used a hydraulic actuator to position the R/W heads from cylinder to cylinder. Trust me, seek times were measured in milliseconds.

At the time, it was the epitome of storage devices! A few years later, ISS demonstrated what a linear motor (aka Voice-coil) could do!

Back