• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Using Adaptec SCSI card, MSDOS 6.22 fails to partition (FDISK) and format SCSI drive

alejack12001

Experienced Member
The shown procedure is similar to an earlier post on the VCFed.org regarding “EZ-SCSI not detecting card.”

The controller being used is Adaptec AHA-1522, which has both floppy and 50-pin SCSI capability with a built in ROM. The hard drive being used is a Conner CB-3180, which is a 50-pin SCSI that is ~84 MB.
The Adaptec controller has three terminators along with quite a few jumpers on the board for configuration. The following is the current configuration of the Adaptec controller:

• DMA Channel: 0 (note: apparently, the DMA is not supported in DOS or Windows 3.1 just OS/2; AHA-1522 user’s manual)
  • Disconnection: Disabled (note: enabled is default, however, the manual specifies enabled is needed when two or more drives are being used. I have only one. So, I set this to disabled.)
  • Following is defaulted on the AHA-1522 card
  • IRQ: 11; enable/disable boot from host adapter: enabled; enable/disable fast SCSI is set: disable; enable/disable synchronous negotiation: enabled; Host adapter SCSI ID: 7; and enable/disable parity checking: enabled
  • Enable/disable floppy support: enabled (Note: needed by the system, no other floppy support available
The Conner CB-3180 parameters shown as follows:
  • 832 cylinders,
  • 6 heads,
  • WPC and Landing Zone 512,
  • Sectors 33,
  • SCSI ID 0.
In addition, there are terminating resisters on the drive. SCSIFMT.EXE was used to low level format the drive. Commands like CTRL-A was ignored and debug -G=DC00:6 bounced back to the prompt as if the address was wrong.

Upon boot following POST, the Adaptec AHA-1522 ROM sees the drive and displays the following:

Config.sys has only a device on A drive referring to ASPI2DOS.SYS, which displays the following:

Adapter AIC-6360 BIOS Version 1.20L
Copyright 1989-1993 Adapter, Inc., All Rights Reserved

Target 0: CONNER. CP3180-84mb-3.5 Installed as Drive C:

OS being used is MSDOS 6.22. Following the boot of MSDOS, a line within the config.sys triggers ASPI2DOS.SYS and the following is displayed:

AIC-6260/6360/6370 ASPI Manager for DOS
Version 3.68
Copyright 1990-1997 Adaptec, Inc.

Host Adapter #: 0
I/O Port Address: 340
Interrupt Level: 11
Parity Checking: Enabled
Disconnection: Disabled
Host Adapter SCSI ID: 7
DMA Channel: 0
Transfer Mode: PIO
LIN Support: Disabled
Sync Negotiation: Enabled

Host Adapter #0 - SCSI ID 0 - LUN 0: CONNER CP3180-84mb-2.5 0D16

The next line in the CONFIG.SYS is for the ASPIDISK.SYS and output is below:

ASPI Disk Driver for DOS
Version 4.01b
Copyright 1989-1997 Adaptec, Inc.

No SCSI logical drives to support.
ASPIDISK.SYS is NOT installed.

When the prompt is displayed, I can type in C: and the system will go to drive C. If I execute, a dir or copy a file to the drive then the response is the files system is not recognized. So, I tried format c: and the response from format is that there is no partition. So, the next step is to use FDISK to set the partition. FDISK immediately freezes the system and requires reboot to clear it out. I tried FDISK several times with the same result. Then I read about AFDISK. And triggered that tool thinking it would partition my SCSI disk.

!!! ATTENTON !!!​

You have selected a SCSI drive which is controlled by DOS through the Host Adapter BIOS. Use the DOS FDISK and FORMAT commands to partition and format the device.
AFDISK will only allow you to view the drive’s partitions.

—Press <Esc> to continue —​

So, the next screen shows a block with the statement “Select SCSI drive to partition.”

The only drive shown is labeled as the following:
HA #0 - Target 0 CONNER CP3180-84mb-3.5.

So, highlighting that displays a table with no partitions listed. Another table has the following:

Logical Drive Info:

64 heads
32 sectors/track
80 cylinders
512 bytes/sector

80 megabytes
2837Fh blocks

So, I am at a loss here to understand why FDISK freezes up when I try to partition the drive. I am also at a loss to understand why the tools that were designated by Adaptec to partition the drive will not partition the drive since I am using DOS and I guess the ROM on the adapter.

If neither works, esp the original Adaptec utility, I would first try replacing the cable if possible. Its within reason the drive is semi dead, but the electronics still work as well. Does the drive sound healthy when it spins up?

Why are you using ASPIDISK.SYS? If the drive was supported on boot (SCSI ID 0 or 1), it's already mapped into INT 13H services. Hence, it's not installed. However, if you wanted ASPIDISK to control the drive, set the ID to something other than 0 or 1 and include ASPI2DOS.SYS in CONFIG.SYS before ASPIDISK. But then you'll have to boot from some other drive.

More to the point, see this Aadaptec note.

Maybe I'm just dense today. It wouldn't be the first time.

If neither works, esp the original Adaptec utility, I would first try replacing the cable if possible. Its within reason the drive is semi dead, but the electronics still work as well. Does the drive sound healthy when it spins up?
The cable is brand new acquired from Amazon. Drive makes very little noise. I actually had to place my head near the drive to hear it. The sound is a higher pitch wizzing sound.
Why are you using ASPIDISK.SYS? If the drive was supported on boot (SCSI ID 0 or 1), it's already mapped into INT 13H services. Hence, it's not installed. However, if you wanted ASPIDISK to control the drive, set the ID to something other than 0 or 1 and include ASPI2DOS.SYS in CONFIG.SYS before ASPIDISK. But then you'll have to boot from some other drive.

More to the point, see this Aadaptec note.

Maybe I'm just dense today. It wouldn't be the first time.
Chuck(G): I turned on the ASPIDISK.SYS to see what it would bring up at the spur of the moment since every thing I tried fizzled. What is the INT 13h service, is that an address or IRQ? If it's an IRQ it's interfering with the co-processor which sets at that same IRQ? (I checked it with Checkit to see if there were address or IRQ issues.) I can turn off the ASPIDISK.SYS by rem it out on my floppy boot disk.

Both replies were constructive and helpful. Thank you for the link. Also would changing the SCSI ID help?

First off, Int 13h is an interrupt, but invoked strictly from software, using the CDh opcode. In other words, it's an interrupt that's not used by hardware, but rather as a shorthand for a far CALL instruction. The 8086 allows for up to 256 vectored interrupts, some of which are used by hardware devices and the rest are available for use by software. Another example is INT 21H, which is used to invoke the DOS API.

Second, if you change the SCSI ID from 0 or 1, the Adaptec BIOS will not install the INT 13h handler by default. You can then access the drive using the ASPI2DOS.SYS and ASPIDISK.SYS drivers in your CONFIG.SYS file. This is particularly important if your motherboard already has an IDE interface installed, or if you're using an IDE/MFM/RLL/ESDI drive along with the SCSI drive.

First off, Int 13h is an interrupt, but invoked strictly from software, using the CDh opcode. In other words, it's an interrupt that's not used by hardware, but rather as a shorthand for a far CALL instruction. The 8086 allows for up to 256 vectored interrupts, some of which are used by hardware devices and the rest are available for use by software. Another example is INT 21H, which is used to invoke the DOS API.

Second, if you change the SCSI ID from 0 or 1, the Adaptec BIOS will not install the INT 13h handler by default. You can then access the drive using the ASPI2DOS.SYS and ASPIDISK.SYS drivers in your CONFIG.SYS file. This is particularly important if your motherboard already has an IDE interface installed, or if you're using an IDE/MFM/RLL/ESDI drive along with the SCSI drive.
Well the first part was completely unknown to me. I need to read up on this. Though I have heard of opcodes before, but, I don't recall where. Maybe the OS class I took in college some 30 years ago.

Second, the motherboard is that 286 that I have written about for other posts. This IBM 5162 now more like a clone of the 5170, which I call 5172 clone. So, no, there is no IDE controller embedded in the motherboard. I tried remming out the ASPI2DOS.SYS (I had already remmed out the ASPIDISK.SYS command) in the config.sys along with other used items just leaving the files and buffer's parameters and same with the autoexec.bat just leaving the prompt and path commands. Following the display of the ROM on screen as pointed out in the first part of the post. The machine sort of hung either at the config.sys, I guess. Is there any config.sys commands that I can enter to tell me if the machine is hanging at config.sys. I know I can use echo commands in the autoexec.bat to isolate where an error will occur. Could the MSDOS 6.22 be the problem? Should I revert back to DOS 5 or DOS 7 or whatever?

Wait a sec, Isn't the AH-1522 32 bit only? So requires a 386 to work properly... If I recall correctly its a plug and play card and all the utilities are pretty much 32 bit since it came out win Win95 did... I'll have to try to dig up a manual for it. I know for sure the 1510A works fine on a 286, because I've had that working in the past.

For MS-DOS, it will require Dos 5 or higher if I recall correctly. 6.22 is fine.

Here is the manual

Says AT or higher so guess 286 is fine...

I'm not aware of a 32-bit ISA bus controller. Where would one get the extra bits for the data path?

The 1522 is a fairly old SCSI controller, so I imagine that it will work fine on a 5162.

If you're using MSDOS 6.22, hit F8 when the system displays "Starting MSDOS", you'll be able to step through CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT one statement at a time.

Last edited:
Hi,

Maybe stating the obvious. You can add /D to the config.sys line where aspi2dos.sys is loaded - that shows some more debug info.

Does ez-scsi see and identify the scsi card? I had issues with scsi in my 5170 and I had to change the PC BIOS to get it to go. EZ-SCSI would not see the card, even though the SCSI BIOS was starting at power on. I first went with the AMI bios from minus zero degrees, but later changed to the Phoenix BIOS as that worked much better with the Gotek I also installed. The machine is now working great.

Stefan

Wait a sec, Isn't the AH-1522 32 bit only? So requires a 386 to work properly... If I recall correctly its a plug and play card and all the utilities are pretty much 32 bit since it came out win Win95 did... I'll have to try to dig up a manual for it. I know for sure the 1510A works fine on a 286, because I've had that working in the past.
Stop leading people to false paths (again). If you are not able to help, just don't post.

There is no such thing as a 16-bit ISA card that uses 32-bit and requires a 386. 16-bit ISA cards are required to work in a 286, otherwise they wouldn't be ISA cards. The system requirements of any software included does not stop the hardware from working. You can even use a SB AWE64 in a 286, despite the software asking for a Pentium. You are not forced to use the included software. And in this case, the card has a BIOS and doesn't require any software at all.

Besides, the AHA-1522 dates back to 1990. Tell me what version of WIndows 95 you were using back then, because I want a copy...

@alejack12001: I would recommend trying the following: enter the SCSI BIOS and format the hard disk there. This will wipe any data that could cause issues (like a broken MBR). Then do a clean boot into DOS by pressing F5. Do FDISK and FORMAT again and see what it does. Do not use SCSIFMT or any other tools not from DOS.

Last edited:
Just used an Adaptic 1522 on my 286/10 mobo. Boot PC Dos 6.3 off disk 1 run fdisk to remove any existing partition and create an active Dos partition, save and reboot. Then start the PC Dos 6.3 installation routine off the fdd formating the scsi hdd and install PC Dos 6.3. Once done reboot and am presented with a Dos prompt. Couldn't be easier. My first attempt at using scsi on a x86 system.

Says AT or higher so guess 286 is fine...
False paths what? The software says clearly came out in Win95 era, so double checked and was like yes works fine in an AT machine. Sod off. Yep PNP cards.. not gonna with you. Clearly every 16 bit card works fine on a 286, even if the conifg software wont run...

I hear ya thought. I wont help no more. Message received. Guess now everyone has to be an expert on a subject...

Last edited:
I'm not aware of a 32-bit ISA bus controller. Where would one get the extra bits for the data path?

The 1522 is a fairly old SCSI controller, so I imagine that it will work fine on a 5162.

If you're using MSDOS 6.22, hit F8 when the system displays "Starting MSDOS", you'll be able to step through CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT one statement at a time.
Okay, this is helpful. Thank you. Your right, the machine is a 5162. I just upgrade the AMI bios from minuszerdegreees from 1987 copyright to 1989. Physically I didn't see much change. Yes let me try the F8 and see what is displayed.

Stop leading people to false paths (again). If you are not able to help, just don't post.

There is no such thing as a 16-bit ISA card that uses 32-bit and requires a 386. 16-bit ISA cards are required to work in a 286, otherwise they wouldn't be ISA cards. The system requirements of any software included does not stop the hardware from working. You can even use a SB AWE64 in a 286, despite the software asking for a Pentium. You are not forced to use the included software. And in this case, the card has a BIOS and doesn't require any software at all.

Besides, the AHA-1522 dates back to 1990. Tell me what version of WIndows 95 you were using back then, because I want a copy...

@alejack12001: I would recommend trying the following: enter the SCSI BIOS and format the hard disk there. This will wipe any data that could cause issues (like a broken MBR). Then do a clean boot into DOS by pressing F5. Do FDISK and FORMAT again and see what it does. Do not use SCSIFMT or any other tools not from DOS.
I tried the recommended CTRL-A and the debug command -g=dc00:6 for format and :9 for DMA test. The CTRL was ignored and the debug bounced out of debug. So, I got Checkit V.3 out to see the memory addresses. The address dc00 was blank; like address was not filled, however, highlighting the adaptor ROM which may be the SCSI ROM was listed from dc00-e000. In addition, there was a listing from c600-c800 that Checkit couldn't identify so it was listed as Unknown ROM. Addresses a000-c000 was video ram and c000-c600 video ROM. if the dc00 was not right what other address could possibly house the format/dma test withing the shown limits of dc00-e000 addresses?

False paths what? The software says clearly came out in Win95 era, so double checked and was like yes works fine in an AT machine. Sod off. Yep PNP cards.. not gonna with you. Clearly every 16 bit card works fine on a 286, even if the conifg software wont run...

I hear ya thought. I wont help no more. Message received. Guess now everyone has to be an expert on a subject...
If everyone would follow the link given to me by Chuck(G), it leads to a page on the config of Adaptec AHA-1522 and if you scroll down you would see a link especially for the AHA-1522 that takes you to another page showing the OS's addressed which showed OS/2, Win 95 and NT. I do recall seeing Win 95 running on a 286 where I worked. It was slow as a rock rolling up hill but it worked never the less. I just prefer to work with the DOS systems or old Win 3.1/3.11.

Again, the card dates back to 1990. Adaptec (or rather, Microsemi) still has a page online for it stating support with MS-DOS 3.x and up (see https://storage.microsemi.com/de-de/support/_eol/isa/aha-1522/). You can even download the Install Guide from 1990 there. It's not Win95-era, it's not PNP. No idea what you are smoking. The fact that Win95/NT software was made for it is not relevant. You should know that Adaptec supported most cards 10+ years. Heck, some of the 29xx cards are STILL supported.

He's using the DOS drivers, which are, obviously, 16-bit. And those aren't even needed. The card works out-of-the-box. It uses jumpers and it's own BIOS for configuration. I wonder if you ever used SCSI in your life.

Last edited:
I'm bowing out of this one, folks. I've used Adaptec SCSI adapters for a long time and can usually get one working.
For ISA, the most common one seems to be the AHA-1542CF if that matters.

Everything from a FH HP 9GB 5.25 drive, CDC 330MB FH 5.25", various Seagate 3.5" SCSI drives... down to a Jaz and Bernoulli drives. I've also used SCSI Zip drives as well. I've even imaged a 20SC external hard drive for Apple. Adaptec made some really good controllers.

Back