• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Osborne 1 Debug

Hair Dryer... That is the solution for the keyboard!

I used the hot setting and heated up the metal bottom of the keyboard while pressing the keys and that eventually freed up the stuck ones!

So now it appears to totally work! Both disk drives can read and write, the keyboard works, and a number of software applications including BASIC.

A big thanks to Erik who lives in the Bay Area town next to me who made me some of some CP/M bootable diskettes. He also hot-swapped my keyboard into his machine running WordStar to see which keys were stuck which was also very helpful!

1661961129965.png

Last edited:
Hair Dryer... That is the solution for the keyboard!

I used the hot setting and heated up the metal bottom of the keyboard while pressing the keys and that eventually freed up the stuck ones!

So now it appears to totally work! Both disk drives can read and write, the keyboard works, and a number of software applications including BASIC.

A big thanks to Erik who lives in the Bay Area town next to me who made me some of some CP/M bootable diskettes. He also hot-swapped my keyboard into his machine running WordStar to see which keys were stuck which was also very helpful!
Awesome, such an easy fix! I'm glad the disks worked out for you

Maybe the membrane(s) sags and makes contact in places from being idle and the heat tightens it back up?

Back