ziloo

Veteran Member
Hello Folks,

UAC is constantly blocking some of my apps from operating,
and keeps asking "Do you want this application to make changes
to this computer?"....and when I press OK, the screen goes semi
dark and freezes!!!! The funny thing is when I try to turn off
the UAC setting, I get the same message and UAC blocks me
from changing UAC setting (screen freezes)!!!!!!

Any ideas how I can deal with the darn thing...

ziloo :giggle:

Was the antivirus you are using recently updated?
What application is trying to make changes? Was it recently updated or otherwise needing to make changes?
I can't be sure what is aggressively blocking changes to UAC but a bug in an anti-virus seems a likely suspect.

If it is every program, that is concerning. Programs built into Windows 7 haven't been changed in years and shouldn't trigger UAC warnings.
It might be prudent to try to a malware/antivirus scan booted from clean media downloaded from a different computer. Just to be sure.

uac. there are steps you can find online to turn off the majority of it and some registry lines to change. You can still do it in windows 7 as opposed to the modern nightmares.

......there are steps you can find online to turn off the majority of it and some registry lines to change......
Thank you Verault.....I found the registry item to change...but lo and behold....the &^%$)(&*@
UAC prevents me from entering the registry editor 🤬 !!!!!

Kind of reminds me of "Lenz Law"...🤭

ziloo 😊

Thank you Verault.....I found the registry item to change...but lo and behold....the &^%$)(&*@
UAC prevents me from entering the registry editor 🤬 !!!!!

Kind of reminds me of "Lenz Law"...🤭

ziloo 😊
What?! Thats not right at all. I think @krebizfan may be right about malware or spyware on the machine.

Just curious is the system keeping the correct time and date?

uac. there are steps you can find online to turn off the majority of it and some registry lines to change. You can still do it in windows 7 as opposed to the modern nightmares.
That's just as silly as using an admin account all the time. UAC is there for a reason.

If you are very tech-savy (e.g. because it's your occupation), you can do that. But it is nothing I would recommend to any other user.

As for ziloo's issue: this is not normal. Either your anti-virus tool did break something or your system is infected with malware. I'd highly suggest booting into some Linux live system and check for viruses.

That's just as silly as using an admin account all the time. UAC is there for a reason.

If you are very tech-savy (e.g. because it's your occupation), you can do that. But it is nothing I would recommend to any other user.

As for ziloo's issue: this is not normal. Either your anti-virus tool did break something or your system is infected with malware. I'd highly suggest booting some Linux live system and check for viruses.
Really? Again with this nonsense? I am going to assume Ziloo is a competant and intelligent fellow.. Why? Just the fact that hes been a member to this board for 16 years. I dont think he needs to work in IT to disable Microsofts non-essential stupid-proofing.

Treat people as idiots and all your left with is idiots. Treat them as intelligent human beings and you might be ocassionally surprised. Enough with this stupid argument its stupid and pointless and NEVER EVER helpful.

If you are very tech-savy ........ you can do that. But it is nothing I would recommend to any other user...
Without getting into unnecessary existential discussions....for the sake of science of things...
please indulge us........ 😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲

I am all ears... 🐰

ziloo 😊

And have you met most of the lower and mid tier folks in "IT"? They are on par with geeksquad and Apple store clerks. You really think they are in the know on crucial things? Your grocery store clerk would be as good a person to ask for help on this topic.

Conversation:

Them "Actually I work in IT!"

Response: "Sir you have been loitering in this Dunkin Doughnuts for 7 hours, you need to buy something else or leave!"

Retreats to Ikea filled apartment with 3+ cats to play minecraft for 5 more hours before microwaving ready to eat Mac&cheese as they dont have the mental facilities to learn the most basic of cooking (which includes assembling a rudimentary sandwich).

Last edited:
Ziloo: You may want to boot W7 with your CD and try to run "Repair". Something has slipped in your setup. I am presently running one of my machines with W7 and have never encountered that situation. Also, does your setup have SP1? If not it's imperative that you update ASAP.

I just noticed something on my desktop Icons; some of the Icons
have been stamped by a smaller picture of UAC shield, which
according to my web search, indicates that the application requires
administrative privilege! Although I only have one account on
this laptop which is the administrator account, still the UAC freezes
the screen and halts further system operation....

ziloo 😊

Sounds like malware to me. More than likely you wont be able to fix it from within the corrupted OS. You will need some kind of boot media to load from to try and scan and repair the partition.

As mentioned by Timo W. a bootable linux distro would be ideal. I am not up on what distros of images have current updated files to scan for malware but I am sure there are some out there.

This is why I make image backups of all my harddrives and just reload them if the drive tanks or something happens.

Last edited:
Back