• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AT&T 6300 Desktop Computer

joelgraff

I recently acquired the keyboard and computer for the AT&T 6300 from eBay. It pairs nicely with the old AT&T terminal monitor I have, which is in the same model family as the monitor that shipped with the system.

Of the many issues I'm sorting out, one is that the ST-225 HD doesn't boot. Not that I'm surprised. I've never really tried to troubleshoot one of these drives, but there's definitely life in it - I can hear the stepper motor seeking on startup. But it repeatedly clunks (like the head is seeking to track zero) and the computer doesn't see the HD. You can hear that activity in the Youtube video I've linked below.

With an MFM drive in this state, is seems like there's a chance to repair it. Before I get too far down that path, I wondered if anyone has any tips or thoughts on some basic diagnostics?

https://youtube.com/shorts/QhrVO9Qy9yA?feature=share

I can hear the stepper motor seeking on startup. But it repeatedly clunks (like the head is seeking to track zero) ...
Compare that to my working ST-225 at [here]. (The video takes a while to buffer.)
Same series of clunks.

... and the computer doesn't see the HD.
Is that "Optional ROM at C800:000" I see on the screen? If so, that would be the ROM on the hard disk controller.

Before I get too far down that path, I wondered if anyone has any tips or thoughts on some basic diagnostics?
What is the hard disk controller make-model?

What does the RAYXTMFM tool at [here] show? The /file switch can be used to copy its screen output to a text file.

Compare that to my working ST-225 at [here]. (The video takes a while to buffer.)
Same series of clunks.

Is that "Optional ROM at C800:000" I see on the screen? If so, that would be the ROM on the hard disk controller.

What is the hard disk controller make-model?

What does the RAYXTMFM tool at [here] show? The /file switch can be used to copy its screen output to a text file.
1. Funny about the head banging. Adrian Black just tested a series of drives and one ST-225 did that - it was dead.
2. You read the optional ROM message correctly.
3. The controller is Western Digital - WD1002S-WX2.
4. I'll have to pull out my CF adapter and see if I can get it working and maybe write a floppy with that. Curious to see what happens. I'll report back once I have something.

Back