• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Some plundered thrift store booty...aye

creepingnet

Veteran Member
Well, I get to add 2 more functional machines to my list....

IBM PS/2 Model 9556-28X
Apple Macintosh SE

The IBM is probably the first naitive SCSI machine, and my token MCA box (Token being fitting for it, since it has a token ring adapter). Right now I'm installing OS/2 2.1 on it. Also got a nice IBM PS?2 Model M keyboard for it too, which I'm tempted to put on my main computer.

The Macintosh is from the high school, came pre-loaded with Mac OS 6.1 and some games and software on it. Here's a few photos.

ps2front.jpg

Besides a few marker marks, the PS/2 is pretty clean, and bone stock

installingOS2onaPS2.jpg

A view of me installing OS/2 2.1 on it, I have a mac SCSI CD-ROM installed in it, not sure if it'll work or not, but it's worth a try.

macse2.jpg

Here's the Mac, the screen is bright, it looks practically brand new, however, I don't have the original mouse or keyboard, so I'm using my Mac LC II peripherals.

macscreen1.jpg

THis thing has a TON of games on it too...

nice. I wish I had more luck after getting my C128 from the goodwill. Ever since, I haven't had ANY luck whatsoever..

oh man, that SE looks dead sexy in those pictures :p

Well, I get to add 2 more functional machines to my list....

IBM PS/2 Model 9556-28X
The IBM is probably the first naitive SCSI machine, and my token MCA box (Token being fitting for it, since it has a token ring adapter). Right now I'm installing OS/2 2.1 on it. Also got a nice IBM PS?2 Model M keyboard for it too, which I'm tempted to put on my main computer.
ps2front.jpg

Besides a few marker marks, the PS/2 is pretty clean, and bone stock

installingOS2onaPS2.jpg

A view of me installing OS/2 2.1 on it, I have a mac SCSI CD-ROM installed in it, not sure if it'll work or not, but it's worth a try...

The submodel ("28X") confuses me a little (some submodel codes change things up a little, where the leading '2' is correct in meaning it is a TR or multimedia version), but a 9556 will be either a 486SLC2-50 or 486SLC3-75 CPU. Both planars look pretty close to each other, but with a heatsink on the CPU it will be a 486SLC3 (even if a 486SLC2, you can put a 486SLC3 daughtercard in it too). Look over http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/9556/9556.html & http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/CPU/855x-486SLC3_Upgrade.html for info.

The submodel ("28X") confuses me a little (some submodel codes change things up a little, where the leading '2' is correct in meaning it is a TR or multimedia version), but a 9556 will be either a 486SLC2-50 or 486SLC3-75 CPU. Both planars look pretty close to each other, but with a heatsink on the CPU it will be a 486SLC3 (even if a 486SLC2, you can put a 486SLC3 daughtercard in it too). Look over http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/9556/9556.html & http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/CPU/855x-486SLC3_Upgrade.html for info.

Well, I've made quite a few interesting discoveries on this particular PS/2...

First off, it does not need a reference disk oddly enough, it has it's own maintenance partition on it's hard drive with the IBM Maintenance Disk installed to it, so if there is an error from the BIOS, it throws itself into the maintenance disk on that hidden partition, quite impressive, as I have owned quite a few PS/2's, and it's quite a pain to keep track of floppies for all of em'.

THe CD-ROM kinda sorta worked, but the lack of a Driver in OS/2 2.1 make it unuseable.

I noticed on startup theres a little thing displaying on the lower right hand side of the screen that says CP: and has several changing hexidecimal numbers before boot, I have not the foggiest idea what it is, or what it's for, but it is sure intriging (sp?).

It originally had PC-DOS Installed on it, and appeared to be some sort of print server given the files I saw on it. I pretty much dumped all that stuff and threw my copy of OS/2 2.1 on it because that's what was availible on that computer when it came out.

Mine is apparently an SLC3 if having a heatsink means so. Also, the math co-processor slot is a little strange too, there's a large flat mostly square thing covered in holes for pins (Weitek maybe?), attached to that on top is an interposter that looks like it was made for one of those snap-in chips.

As for the code 26X, I dunno what that could mean, but it almost sounds like this computer could have been a custom order from IBM Jobbie. It smells like a server room, though it has user 02 on the front, and definatley looks clean for a 1993 era computer.

Well, I've made quite a few interesting discoveries on this particular PS/2...

First off, it does not need a reference disk oddly enough, it has it's own maintenance partition on it's hard drive with the IBM Maintenance Disk installed to it, so if there is an error from the BIOS, it throws itself into the maintenance disk on that hidden partition, quite impressive, as I have owned quite a few PS/2's, and it's quite a pain to keep track of floppies for all of em'...

Actually the "System Partition" is a common thing on the late-model PS/2s...

...THe CD-ROM kinda sorta worked, but the lack of a Driver in OS/2 2.1 make it unuseable...

IBM SCSI is different than anything else, so there are even pages (http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/misc/CDROM.html) devoted to getting it going...

...I noticed on startup theres a little thing displaying on the lower right hand side of the screen that says CP: and has several changing hexidecimal numbers before boot, I have not the foggiest idea what it is, or what it's for, but it is sure intriging (sp?)...

IBM POST codes (other late-model PS/2s do this, some even throwing them to the LPT port if you have it setup with a decoder)...

...Mine is apparently an SLC3 if having a heatsink means so. Also, the math co-processor slot is a little strange too, there's a large flat mostly square thing covered in holes for pins (Weitek maybe?), attached to that on top is an interposter that looks like it was made for one of those snap-in chips...

Yes, that is the IBM-proprietary daughtercard socket. Normally the PLCC socket holds the NPU (387SX-25/387SL-25) if installed. Since you have a 486SLC3-75 on the planar you don't need any daughtercard CPU upgrades anyway.

...As for the code 26X, I dunno what that could mean, but it almost sounds like this computer could have been a custom order from IBM Jobbie. It smells like a server room, though it has user 02 on the front, and definatley looks clean for a 1993 era computer.

IBM did have some special bid markings, but most commonly the submodel will show some information about the factory configuration of the unit. So much that IBM normally provided replacement stickers for the label in the box with their upgrades. I can post the submodel table here if needed.

IBM's codes are very well thought out, so I imagine it means something. Such as my PS1/Valuepoint, is model 433DX. This may not make sense to someone who doesn't know anything about computers, but it breaks down as:

4 = 486 CPU
33 = MHz of CPU
DX = 486 DX CPU, or 486 with Math-co installed.

IBM's codes are very well thought out, so I imagine it means something. Such as my PS1/Valuepoint, is model 433DX. This may not make sense to someone who doesn't know anything about computers, but it breaks down as:

4 = 486 CPU
33 = MHz of CPU

Actually dude, that's not the model-type-code you are talking about, the model-type-code is what I'm talking about. You're talkingabout the model name. I had one of those computer before, if you look at the lower corner of the front, or do so after removing the cover there should be a little plastic tag that says M/T: xxxx-xxx and another that says S/N - xxxxxxxx that;'s what I'm talking about. Some of the PS/2 model names was derived from the M/T code.

Take for instance you have an IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 for instance, in the original run of IBM PS/2's, the type and code for a PS/2 Machines was 85XX-XXX, so that would make that machine 8530-XXX. The last 3 XXX are kind of like car trim levels: GL/GT/LX/XL/XLT/Sport etc... Basically it indicated what the original options package that computer had. So say if it were an 8530-E21, it'd be an option E21, IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 with a 20 MB Hard Drive rather than a 60 or a 30.

The Model Type Code is basically how one can track an IBM Product to what it originally was. The three originals were 5150-XXX 5160-XXX or 5170-XXX, then there was a first like of IBM PS/2 boxes that were 85XX-XXX, then the early 90's PS/2 Boxes that started with 95XX-XXX through 97XX-XXX, the PS/2 Valuepoints, Thinkpads, Thinkcentres, PC-330/350/370/etc.. all have MTC's as well. It's kind of impressive that IBM Has kept such a reliable tracking method for so long as to finding out what a machine originally was.

So far I've Had My Hands on the Following IBM computers. Mind how hte model name that comes after the MTC can, and usually does, follow the Model number from the MTC (The first 4 digit number).

5160-XXX - IBM PC XT 5160, Friend's computer, was an IBM PC XT 5160 with the usual specs, except it had a 30 Megabyte half height hard drive, a 720K half height floppy, and one full height 360K Floppy drive, and of course, a Monochrome display adaper with a 5151 Monitor. Quite a nice find that was. Never got the code for it.

8530-E21 - PS/2 Model 30 286 with a 20 MB fixed disk installed, 1MB Of RAM, and an IBM Token Ring card as added for use on a college network when it was in commission. This one survived a school fire and was used in subsequecent years after before being given to a professor, who passed it on to me.

8550-021 PS/2 Model 50Z, a 10 MHz 286 machine I sold on E-bay after it was given to me, I had a second one that was dead that I used to repair my model 70.

8570-A61 PS/2 Model 70, 20 MHz 386 DX, 60MB HDD. Was found under a tree in the wood burned and covered in debris, amazingly had little rust, and still worked despite having a few creepy crawlies in the power supply.

0137 (I think) - This was a rebadged IBM PS/2 Valuepoint 433DX/D with a "GTSI Desktop" Badge on the front. where the IBM logo would be. It was a 33 MHZ 486 DX with 8MB Of RAM on 2 72 pin 4MB SIMMS, and came with Windows 3.1 and PC-DOS installed on it, and had one 350 MB IBM IDE Hard Drive in it.

6571-W5K - 100 MHz 486, 8MB of RAM, 540MB Hard Disk Drive, Sure Path BIOS, Model "M" Keyboard, 2nd version of the IBM PS/2 Mouse, and an IBM G40 monitor. Originally shipped with Windows For Workgroups 3.11 & PC-DOS or OS/2 Warp. Seemed to stay in production awhile, mine had some parts in it marked 1997!!! Production started in 1994.

9556-28X - IBM, 75 MHz 486SLC3, SCSI built in, 1.44M Floppy, 12 MB of RAM, 216 MB SCSI Hard Disk. The new one, these came with OS/2 2.1, OS/2 2.0, PC-DOS, or Windows 3.1 installed. They started being made in 1992, mine's a 93' model, and I think they dropped the 9556 sometime around 1995, perfectly fitting as the 9556 does not have a cd-rom.

9545-FBL - IBM THinkpad 755CD, 75 MHz Pentium processor, 1.2GB HDD, CD-ROM, and TFT LCD, one of the first thinkpads with a CD-ROM Drive, I presently own this one, and use it quite a bit. These came with options of Windows For Workgroups 3.11 w/ PC-DOS, OS/2 2.1, and later Windows 95.

2511-451 - IBM Thinkpad I-Series 1400, 300 MHz Pentium Mobile Processor, 14" LCD, and NiMH battery. These are surprisingly still supported by IBM. Came pre-loaded with Windows 98 when it was new.

8191-LS1 - IBM Thinkcentre 8191 - Pentium 4 2.6G processor, 256MB of RAM, 40GB HDD, 48X CD-ROM, WIndows 2000 Professional. Most recent machines from IBM/Lenovo I've worked on, and even now they are still using the MTC to track the original specs. I had to swap hard disks in about 40 of them this past week.

4 = 486 CPU
33 = MHz of CPU

I'm referring to the submodel codes that can provide further information than the simplistic CPU type and speed in the case markings. Your ValuePoint (even though the tower case style can be the same in some areas, the PS/1 is a different series) should have a "model number" of 63xx or 64xx (although I have some refurbished units that change this entirely too). For the 63xx-series (several different motherboard types) the sub-model (three digits following on the label) should be in the format of:

First character (CPU):
C = 386SLC-25
F = 486SX-25
K = 486SX-33
M = 486DX-33
W = 486DX2-66
1 = Pentium 60

Second Character (harddrive size):
2 = 80Mb
3 = 120Mb
4 = 170Mb
5 = 212 or 245Mb
7 = 340Mb
8 = 424Mb
9 = 527Mb

Third Character (factory OS or possible DX2 CPU):
0 = No pre-installed OS
1 = OS/2 installed
2 = DX2 processor (yes, I know, redundant)
3 = DOS/Windows 3.x

For the 64XY-series (one motherboard type), X is what case style:
7 = "Space-Saver" (three drive bays, three I/O slots)
8 = "Desktop" (five drive bays, five I/O slots)
9 = "Mini-Tower" (six drive bays, eight I/O slots)

Y is the bus type:
2 = ISA/VESA Local Bus (this is only one VLB slot for all case styles)
4 = ISA/PCI

First Sub-model character (CPU):
C = 486SX-33
H = 486DX-33
L = 486DX2-66
X = 486DX4-100

Second character (harddrive size):
0 = None
3 = 270Mb
4 = 364Mb
5 = 527Mb

Third character (RAM, OS, & Multimedia):
B = 4Mb, DOS/Windows 3.x
D = 4Mb, no factory OS
F = 8Mb DOS/Windows 3.x
G = 8Mb OS/2
N, P = Multimedia

The PS/2-series (85xx & 95xx) codes (not covering a few initial models) are much more involved...

...Take for instance you have an IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 for instance, in the original run of IBM PS/2's, the type and code for a PS/2 Machines was 85XX-XXX, so that would make that machine 8530-XXX. The last 3 XXX are kind of like car trim levels: GL/GT/LX/XL/XLT/Sport etc... Basically it indicated what the original options package that computer had. So say if it were an 8530-E21, it'd be an option E21, IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 with a 20 MB Hard Drive rather than a 60 or a 30.

...8530-E21 - PS/2 Model 30 286 with a 20 MB fixed disk installed, 1MB Of RAM, and an IBM Token Ring card as added for use on a college network when it was in commission. This one survived a school fire and was used in subsequecent years after before being given to a professor, who passed it on to me.

...8550-021 PS/2 Model 50Z, a 10 MHz 286 machine I sold on E-bay after it was given to me, I had a second one that was dead that I used to repair my model 70.

...8570-A61 PS/2 Model 70, 20 MHz 386 DX, 60MB HDD. Was found under a tree in the wood burned and covered in debris, amazingly had little rust, and still worked despite having a few creepy crawlies in the power supply...

Good examples of how the IBM models and submodel codes are, but an interesting note I will add is that the PS/2 models you decribe here are among the initial batch (25, 30, 50, 60, 70, & 80) that had their submodel codes in a totally inconsistant manner compared to later PS/2s. As you show, many times it just covered the harddrive size (or the "A" on your Model 70 shows it was the highest level of 386DX-25 out of the 16, 20, & 25MHz models). In fact I can also tell you that your 8550-021 is not a "50Z" (meaning a later version with zero wait-states & the "DBA ESDI" harddrive), but instead the earlier version with an MFM harddrive (20Mb in size).

But parts could have been easily changed after-factory too...

Sweet! Very nice acquisition!

I love the Mac, but I have to say the PS/2 with OS/2 2.1 on it tickles my fancy a bit more. I have lots of fond memories of OS/2. I actually own two copies (legit!) of OS/2 1.2, I just don't have a computer to install it on.

I have been tempted lately, to purchase eComStation when the next version comes out. That price is pretty high though, especially to a guy used to running Linux and FreeBSD for cheap.

Hmm, I own a copy of eComStation (with upgrade rights paid for too). As one who loved and loves OS/2, I reluctantly state that eCS is not worth the money. They added various packages which are readly available already. The USB support is worse than poor, common chip sets are not even supported. I got most of my wireless cards working by doing all my own research, and all my own legwork. eCS was not much help with those.

If I'm going to work that hard, I should play with BeOS/zeta instead of eCS, less expensive anyway.

Well Mad-Mike has inspired me to finally catalogue my IBMs . While it is a major component of my collection I usually just refer to it as a bunch of IBMs.

2 PC 5150s one of which has the Intel Inboard 386 installed.
XT 5160
AT 5170
2 PCjrs
2 Ambra 486DX2-50 and 486 DX4-100. Ambras were made by another mfg but sold by IBM as a low-cost alternative.

PS1 2011 This had the PSU in a separate monitor like the Amstrad PCs.
I had a PS1 2021 which has dissappeared over time. Similar to the 2011 but IIRC had an integral PSU. I believe I still have a starter disk for it among my PS2 floppies.
PS1 2123. Still had the PS1 Quad which was discontinued after the 2133s
2 PS1 2133s, Both with Dos 5 replacing the Quad interface.

PS2 8530-E21
PS2 8530-O21
8550-061
8555- ?
8557- ?
8560- ? An AT in a tower case like the 8580s
8570-A21
2 8580-111 I thought I had a 3rd 80 but must have given it away
8590-OL9
9556-086
PC 350 6587-79T What I'm using now
PC 300PL 6565-43U my newest IBM

The submodel # of the ones with ? were not on the exterior of the case.

My favorite PS2s are the 80, 70, 56. In that order. I do have a problem considering the non-MCA macines as true PS2s.
No matter how crazy-making the MCA could be, I had a certain affection for it.

Lawrence

Last edited:
Hehe, now I'm inspired to list all the IBM Hardware I've have or had.

Early Stuff
----------------------------------------------------------------------
IBM PC XT 5160 in a clone chassis - On my Bar with the Mac SE
Second 5160 Motherboard in an anti-static bag awaiting an XT chassis

IBM PS/2's
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 (X2, the other was used for parts) - The "Smoke Survivor"
IBM PS/2 Model 70 386 - The one I found in the woods
IBM PS/2 Model 35 SX - One of a friend's that I spent more time fixing for him because he let his class mess it up
IBM PS/2 Model 9556 - THe new one

IBM PSValuepoints
GTSI Desktop 425SX - A dud I got out of a pile of 8 from a private school
GTSI Desktop 433DX/D - The dud's replacement, later sold in below's case
IBM PS/Valuepoint 466 - Case was better than the GTSI, and the GTSI had a 66 MHZ CPU To replace the original 33, so I put the 33's board in this case and made a monster PS/VAluepoint out of it and sold it later on

IBM EduQuest
IBM EduQUest 35 - Regular VGA EduQuest, broken contrast knob, long gone
IBM EduQUest 40 - Sold On E-bay totally maxxed out for $50.00!!!
IBM EduQuest 40 - Motherboard failed after a month, junked

IBM PC-XXX
IBM PC-330 100DX4 - My main computer for 2001-2003. My favorite, used it till the motherboard gave up the ghost (R.I.P.)
IBM PC-370 P200MMX - A friend gave me this one, I used it for WIndows NT 4.0 for awhile, gave it away before I moved

IBM Thinkpad
IBM Thinkpad 755CD - Bought for $40 fully working off E-bay, 2nd backup laptop
IBM THinkpad I-Series 1400 - Bought for $4 at Goodwill and rebuilt for $81, my main backup laptop (my main is a new Everex nc1500).

On top of it, I always make it a point to keep a Model M with both cords and a Model F on hand, especially since my Northgate keyboard is about to undergo some superglue surgery on the enter key.

If you still have the PC330, I have one I savaged for parts for my PC 350 which I found curbside and has more peripheral abilities. The motherboard has a 486 DX2 and I believe the DX4 is just a plugin. It was working when I pulled a bunch of stuff out of it. Yours for shipping.

Lawrence

Back