• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help: VGA to RCA

kooler

I have an old communications terminal system that would only take an RCA connector for its video monitor. Since I can't find an old monitor with the RCA connector, now I would like to use a monitor that has the VGA connector going to the RCA connector of the terminal. All I'm looking for is just the one cable from vga to rca and not the multi wired ones. Do they make such cable? Thank you.

The only way I have been able to do that is I purchased a "vga box" on ebay for around $50 (I think it was). It converts RCA composite video signals into VGA. Works fine but might be kinda expensive for your purposes.

I'm not sure how much background knowledge you have, so this will probably be overkill.

There is no 'VGA to RCA' adapter. An RCA phono jack has just two conductors. A VGA connector has 15 pins, some of which are active and some are not. And on those 15 pins there are signal assignments. It's not a one-to-one mapping.

As Chuck points out you need a device to be able to display a composite signal (which is what I presume is coming out on the RCA jack) on a VGA display.

Another alternative (assuming it really is a composite signal) is to run the output through a VCR or television directly, which seems so much easier.

Just because there's an RCA connector on the unit, doesn't automatically mean there will be composite video coming out.
We need to know what sort of video signal we're dealing with.

What's the make and model of the terminal?
Perhaps we can find a manual.

Andy

Hello to all and thanks for the all the replies to my question. Anyway this communications terminal is used for rtty or radio telegraphy and all I really need is the video part of it so it can display the letters and numbers that it copies. The tv will work as monitor but I want to use a monochrome monitor for better clarity and size. And like chuckcmagee said the vga box is an overkill for my purposes. Well does anybody know what kind of computer monitor connector can be converted to rca? Thanks.

I tried going to my local computer stores and no luck. Even evil bay don't have one. I'll keep on looking though. Thanks.

No...

No...

Most computer monitors today are not composite video monitors.

Computers put out red, blue, and green, horizontal sync, and vertical sync on separate lines.

You are looking for a composite video monitor with 10 to 15 mHz of bandwidth. Note that security video monitors may work, whoever since they will tend to lack bandwidth things might be a little blurry...

I think Apple ][s, C, 2es, etc put out composite video, maybe you can find a monitor by buying a "vintgage" apple system, they don't go very high...

I have an old communications terminal system that would only take an RCA connector for its video monitor. Since I can't find an old monitor with the RCA connector, now I would like to use a monitor that has the VGA connector going to the RCA connector of the terminal. All I'm looking for is just the one cable from vga to rca and not the multi wired ones. Do they make such cable? Thank you.

Whatabout using a PC to do the display? You could use a capture card (cheap, at most $50 new at your local stores), and use the current display then to display things. You should find that ebay will have a ton of them via usb used if you are looking to get one for even cheaper still.

Just a thought. HTH.

Hello and thanks for the tip on the apple computers. I think I'll go check ebay and if I don't find any, I'll go schotty's suggestion. Thank you again.

Back