• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Scox

Vlad

Anyone else been keeping up with the SCO Group saga? Apparently their going to get delisted form the NASDAQ soon because their stock isn't even worth a whole dollar anymore. SCO stock last I looked was 98 cents a share. Its almost worth buying a paper version of the stock as a novelty. It would have been funny if they did a reverse stock split, then their ticker symbol would have been SCOXD = SCO XD That would have been awesome.

I never followed them very closely. Their stuff was always WAY too expensive! Micro$oft is too but MS has the advantage in that you have to pay it (well, around $120 anyway). I never did understand that $1599.00 type prices. Like Mr. Consumer has 1600 to spare. Now with 85 kinds of linux out there, who needs SCO?

SCO was geared towards the big machines if I'm not mistaken. Their downfall was when they tried to sue IBM. Yeah, like they were gonna win against Big Blue....

Chuck ..

Wake up. Consumers didn't buy Unix for their homes. It's a different market.

In 1992 Linux was just being started. Back then, if you wanted Unix for an x86, SCO is what you did.

Yeah, and you sure paid for the privilage too.

Think I still have the 1600 buck package around here somewhere from the late 80s when we ran an information service for our clients.

Fairly user-hostile if I recall.

Chuckle Mike! I know it is a different market. I just was always pissed off that it was SO expensive. In 1991, there was no way to come up with that kind of money, not after buying a PC in those days. They were always at least $1800 back then. I remember I just couldn't afford the 486/33. The 386/25 Gateway about busted me after buying a nice Sony monitor to go with it.

Groklaw's been following that soap opera for years.

People figure they were gambling that IBM would just buy them up.
Didn;t happen.

Instead, everyone and their brother counter-sued, including Novell!
Novell actually said when they bought USL from Novell, they didn;t get EVERYTHING!!

Man - what a freaking soap opera...."As the Unix turns...."

Oh well - At least we never had to say "Univel" again...

;)

Tony

No idea, but it is obviously derived from Star Wars. Source of course would relate to the UNIX source code, but why stop at getting access to just the source code if you can get access to all the written documentation and possibly even people who wrote the code?

Back