• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Enable OA

I'm still in the dark ages of Win98 but I'm sure it will run as legacy software in all Windows versions.

I believe we are still offering free EnableOA installation for those who want to make the leap of Faith.

Ten days ago I found myself passing by the old haunts of Enable Software [it began life as THE SOFTWARE GROUP] and ducked onto the grounds just to refresh my memory of yesteryear and, as you say, INTEGRATION WITHOUT COMPROMISE.

I'm still using EnableOA to talk to other Windows apps. /OAfurf

Enable OA on a Thumb Drive

Enable OA on a Thumb Drive

Recently I added a thumb drive to my system and made a neat discovery for the use of EnableOA. I had been using an old internal Maxtor 80Gig IDE drive [designed for use with a PCI controller] externally with a IDE/USB bridge cable to make it run as a USB drive. On my workhorse desktop system OA was naturally installed on the C: partition and wrote the heavy app files and data to the E: partition on the same drive. Then before going on the road I would copy the two needed data folders from the E: partition to the Maxtor and hook it up to the laptop's USB slot. But of course the drive needed power so I would plug its power cable into the wall. It worked fine even if a bit cumbersome due to the drive's weight and the two cables: the bridge cable and the power cable.

Since the laptop's hard drive was partitioned into C: and D:, the IDE/USB drive would be read by the laptop's OS as the E: drive. How convenient since EnableOA's program files are in C: on both systems and is custom:set to write to E: subdirectories. But once I substituted the thumb drive for the kluncker 80G Maxtor, things were better yet: no cables and the thumbie is faster. The data doesn't have to travel up and down the bridge cable, :toast2: nor spin any platters and position read/write heads.

I'm now working on a menu/macro within EnableOA so as to sync the updated files from the laptop back onto the desktop and so eliminate the manual work of dropping folders from one drive to another. It will work in both directions when I've finalized it. To be continued, I'll let ye know how I make out. /OAfurf

Pomru, how goes it? You were'nt feeling well and it's almost 4 months since you surfaced here. Plus you were looking for the software; it's still available. /frfr

I'm alive...

I'm alive...

Not so much "not feeling well" as "living life perpetually out of focus". Adult Attention Deficit Disorder will do that to you. :)

I'm doing better now, the meds help alot. And I DID give the software to the guy who needs it, but I haven't heard how he did yet on the data recovery project. For myself, I'm going to have more time to explore EnableOA myself now that I switched to a more human schedule at work. End of December to End of April was a time-management train-wreck for me.

LOTS of computer related projects scheduled now. As well as a question: Anybody know if EnableOA works under DOS emulators, WINE, or CrossOverOffice on linux? I got a LOT of people asking when I mentioned EnableOA.

Those drive letters are even better when assigned!!

FrFr, I've setup all my apps for the past several years to a drive letter L:, or K:. Microsoft doesn't hit these areas by default (unless you have 15 drives). Then you put all your OA stuff in a folder on C: and share this folder as OASTUFF. In your startup batch file do a

Net use L: \\PcName\OASTUFF

Data can be moved to any folder on any PC so long as the folder is shared as OASTUFF and you substitute the name of your computer for the PcName.

If I do any major system changes I copy my data to the laptop folder and disconnect from the network and start the batch file that connects L: to the folder on my laptop and test my changes. Data can be moved to any PC in the network that you have the rights to connect to the shared folder or remain on your own PC. Should you want to work with data in a different folder using the L: drive (OACOPIES), start a different batch file that runs

Net use L: \\PcName\OACOPIES

You don't need to be on a network to use this command, only have to have networking enable within Windows.

The shared folder can be anywhere on your PC (or network). Partition, USB drive, external, etc; so long as it's shared it can be found with the Net use command and accessed by EnableOA.

Where is this .ISO being stored that i keep seeing mentioned?
Anyone got a link?

Rever mind - found the link in one of the mailing list messages...

Tony

Last edited:
Glad to see some info on Enable OA finally making its way to the web!

I used Enable through its many versions for many years writing apps for a major candy manufacturer. When I left (5 years ago) at least a dozen major systems were driven by Enable and I think many are still in use there.

I still use Enable. The DBMS and especially the dot command procedural language runs circles around other systems to this day.

Question for anyone still using OA: The last cut I have is 59.9. What was the final cut released, and is there a source for that version?

I look forward to seeing others out there still using this (very capable) dinosaur join this discussion!

Will Scott

Hey Will, we seem to have lost you as since your message we've picked up some new Enablers but hopefully this will reach you and we can get you onboard. Talk to me. :tellme:/OAfurf

Fun by the tons with EnableOA

Fun by the tons with EnableOA

Well, I'm still in the middle of my new OAscript to synch the files on the desktop system with the thumbie drive so that I can pull the wee thing, stick it in my laptop and have everything right there as needed. While it's on the desktop system, it's the G: drive; when it's on the laptop it becomes the E: drive. Perfect for my need.

It helps to temporarily rename the db table on the thumbie using Enable's rename command [and at the end it can be renamed back to the original].

The script starts with two define statements [well there are a couple more but they're just logical fields]. The two are:

Code:
.define GO = "G:\SWUPDA~1\Gfiles"
.define GOCOPY="copy"&+@char(34)&"E:\SW Updates\"&@trim(NAMEFILE)&@char(34)&+"G:\SWUPDA~1"

The GO statement creates a shorthand for the table on the thumbie.
The GOCOPY will be used later with Enable's exquisite .exec_dos command to copy, not the record, but the html file named in NAMEFILE to the correct folder on the thumbie.... because the awesome .exec_dos command talks to other Windows applications. In this case it's a simple copy the file DOS statement in order to make sure the G: and E: directories have the identical files.

I just tested it and bravo! it both added the new table record to the G: table AND copied the corresponding html file to the G: folder. The table record is used to launch the file in its own html reader just as EnableOA created the html file in the first place.

More to come as the script gets longer.... :D/OAfurf

Okay, I found I had to delete two lines of code from the .perform file that governs the opening and closing of EnableOA's up-to-8 windows in this particular app. The lines defined two local calculated fields, the second of which modified slightly the results of the first calc. When my user-customed menu switched the screen to the G:\drive, thus loading the db files from the thumbie, only the first field calculated. For some reason the second came up blank. So I put the two fields right in the database definition.....

Problem solved. Now it calculates on both drives.

The two canceled local fields were.
Code:
.define subdate = @date$(@num(@substr(namefile,3,5)))
.define showdate = @left(subdate,@if(@match(subdate," ")<3,5,6))
Now they're right in the definition and working on both drives as designed.

Here's the script so far. Ask any questions.... What you can't see here is the neat coloring. Programming is not just a matter of code, but of dressing up the screen to catch the eye.

Code:
.define HUH = @if(not yn,"G","E")
.define HUHnot = @if(not yn,"E","G")
.define GO = HUH&":\SWUPDA~1\"&@if(not yn,"G")&"files"
.define GO2 = @if(not yn,"G")&"files"
.define GOCOPY="copy"&+@char(34)&"E:\SW Updates\"&@trim(NAMEFILE)&@char(34)&+"G:\SWUPDA~1"
.define chekem as logical
.define Gcount as integer
.intro
.maxscreen
              The remote MATCH file will be [go]
.reformat off
.read [GO] first deleted or not deleted
.input "Run Through The File >>" chekem
.if chekem
.gosub checkdrive
.let sys:screen = 4
.while gcount < @if(not yn,Files.sys:numrec,Gfiles.sys:numrec)
.let gcount = gcount + 1
.if @mod(gcount,18) = 0
.clrscreen (4,1,21,78)
.let sys:screen = 4
.endif
 Sys:Record [[GO2].sys:record{3>}] [[GO2].namefile&" is"{15}]  [@if(DELETED,"DELETED","Not Deleted")]
.read [GO] next deleted or not deleted
.getchar
.endwhile
.endif
.clrscreen
.gosub comment
.body
.read [GO] index sys:record = sys:record
.if [GO2].sys:record = 0
.reformat on
E:files record No. [sys:record{<}] [namefile  ] has no match on the thumbie
drive.
.input "Copy this record to the thumbie > " chekem
.reformat off
_         .if chekem
_         .gosub ADDfile
_         .endif
.elseif files.namefile = namefile
_         .if @mod(sys:screen,21) = 0
_         .clrscreen (7,1,21,78)
_         .let sys:screen = 7
_         .endif
*[sys:record{^,4}]* *[namefile{13^}]*MATCHED*[[GO2].namefile{14^}]*
*[[GO2].sys:record{^,4}]* 
.input
.else
*[sys:record{^,4}]*      *[namefile{14>}]N0T MATCHED*[[GO2].namefile{15<}]*     *[[GO2].sys:record{^,4}]*
This record needs to be copied and its companion file copied via a batch
file.
.input
.endif
.conclusion
.CLRSCREEN
.let Gcount = 1
.while Gcount < 23
.screenpos (Gcount,Gcount+4)
*  *   HI HO ENABLE......OA  *   *
.let Gcount = Gcount +1
.endwhile
.status  STATUS LINE ECHO-o-o-oo: *__*___HI HO ENABLE......OA__*___*   OA = AWAY, Bye
.getchar
.macro {!F10}
.exit
.subroutines
.label ADDfile
.let [GO].namefile = namefile
.let [GO].date = date
.let [GO].nn = nn
.let [GO].fullsite = fullsite
.let [GO].reporting = reporting
.let [GO].skipdate = skipdate
.add [GO]
.exec_dos [GOCOPY]
.return

.label checkdrive
.screenpos (3,1)
     ["Checking the"&+@if(not yn,"G:Thumbie Drive","Desktop E: Files")]

.return

.label comment
.let sys:screen = 1
Comment----------------------------------------------------------------

Number of E:FILES: [files.sys:numrec{7<}] Number of G:FILES:[Gfiles.sys:numrec{<}]

*[HUHnot&":SYSREC:"{9}]*    *  [HUHnot&":NAMEFILE"{11^}]*H U H ?* [HUH&":NAMEFILE"{12^}] *    *[HUH&":SYSREC:"{8}]*    *

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
.return

Looking good. Doing what's it's supposed to in order to synch the thumb drive files with the desktop files for transfer to a laptop. /OAfurf

Last edited:
Addendum: the above Script is working like a charm. If you're using EnableOA I'm leaving you a wee gift of the .conclusion, which can be run as a sign-off on any script. At the top of the script you just need to add the 3 lines

.define Gcount as integer
.intro
.maxscreen

and for end as follows.....

.conclusion
.CLRSCREEN
.let Gcount = 1
.while Gcount < 23
.screenpos (Gcount,Gcount+4)
* * HI HO ENABLE......OA * *
.let Gcount = Gcount +1
.endwhile
.status STATUS LINE ECHO-o-o-oo: *__*___HI HO ENABLE......OA__*___* OA = AWAY, Bye
.getchar
.exit

If you put a nice color on the "Hi Ho Enable OA" Line you'll go out with a blaze of glory. Try it ye Enable neanderthals. /OAfurf

Last edited:
Well Oafurf, I can see you are having tons of fun, as I have been also with the Enablemail app framework you posted some time ago!

I've added databases for mail addresses and the sent emails and popup selection boxes with proximity searches for the address fields. Yesterday
I opened a word processing file, copied in some database records, copied in some spreadsheet data, finished writing some text, fired a macro to open Enablemail, add addresses and send away! It all takes less time while you're in Enable than simply opening one of those other windoze apps takes!

Blimey, we neanderthals have the world at our fingertips, it must be some sort
of cosmic time distortion! I'll still need a little more time to catch up with your latest creation.

Suthnsun

Carry on Suthnsun. Be interested in how you integrated your db tables and .popup [proximity etc.] with the EnableMail.

I updated the above .conclusion app to go out with a greater
:xmas:Hi Ho Enable OA :xmas: bang. MidMichigan calls it "flashy".

I'm still tweaking it. /OAfurf

MidMichigan:

Your integration of Windoz and OA continues to baffle me. I still work in a world where OA's stuff is OA's, and Windoz's stuff is Windoz's. The code may help me follow how you display file names and dates, etc.

The EnableOA CHEWZDAT code creates an html file out of each emailed report and assigns each file a unique name. Inside the report CHEWZDAT will find the name of the reporting city and begin the filename with the first two letters of the city: e.g. AL=Albany, BR=Bridgeport, CH=Charlotte, RA=Raleigh, CO=Cooperstown OR=Orlando, UT=Utica, PH=Phoenix and so on...

Then it will concatenate the above two letters with the five digit date code for the report's date [it finds the date in the report] and create a concatenated filename, e.g. BR39250.htm

Be advised I always preferred the full html [not just htm] filename extension but of course in Enable OA one must observe the limited 8.3 DOS file naming convention... so the "L" has to be truncated. But....

Because you asked and got me thinking about it, I tweaked the program so now one gets the full "html" on the filename. In the .perform file I defined a field to show html instead of htm....
Code:
.define filename = @trim(namefile)&"l"

--and switched filename for namefile and now all my records show html as the filename extension. While I was at it, I experimented with a centering caret {^} on the adjacent field and presto, the city field came up looking centered and handsome. Wouldn't have happened without your input.

Thanks for asking. If you want to see more of the code which has grown from 92 lines to 129 lines, just ask.

:cool:/OAfurf

And we're back...

And we're back...

I am pleased to report that the friend who had the data recovery project involving an older version of EnableOA was, in fact, able to use the version I got for him here to recover EVERYTHING, including data he knew he had lost but didn't realize were still stored in some of the files on his hard drive. He's now happily exploring the new features of this final version (the files were originally made in version 2.x) and very very happy.

Thank you, one and all, for your help.

I am pleased to report that the friend who had the data recovery project involving an older version of EnableOA was, in fact, able to use the version I got for him here to recover EVERYTHING, including data he knew he had lost but didn't realize were still stored in some of the files on his hard drive. He's now happily exploring the new features of this final version (the files were originally made in version 2.x) and very very happy.

Thank you, one and all, for your help.

Bravo :D Pomru. Yes, when EnableOA went to version 4, it mightily upgraded the user interface [I remember the old 2.x versions as well as 1.x] and even inaugurated a Unix version. Tell him about Vintage and Thogscave so that he can tweak his apps till his heart's content, find out how to do this and that [e.g. some of us are going hammer and tongs at the .exec_dos command for using EnableOA to send commands to other Windows Apps {we've now got EnableMail to send email from inside EnableOA} and so on].

Thanks to this Vintage forum we've picked up users in England, Australia and even Tasmania as well as here in the states who like your friend were struggling with their various applications and now struggle no longer.

If anyone ever doubts that this Vintage Computer forum is a blessing they only have to read a message such as yours.

Owners and Operators of THE VINTAGE COMPUTER forum, please take note, and thanks much.​
/OAfurf

If anyone ever doubts that this Vintage Computer forum is a blessing they only have to read a message such as yours.

Owners and Operators of THE VINTAGE COMPUTER forum, please take note, and thanks much.​
/OAfurf[/QUOTE]

Agree with your sentiment entirely OAfurf, from the fundamentals, to the tips
and tricks to the downright crafty - we have benefited in every way from
access to this forum! Looking forward to you coughing up some more of your
Vintage experience and secrets!

suthnsun

PS I have been working away at an auto-processing bank reconciliation app, with integrated auto-emails, its coming along nicely, auto processing debtors
payments , bank charges, periodic payments, cheques and sending emails to
alert staff to manually process unidentified items. Enable OA still the way!

EnableOA and HTML

EnableOA and HTML

I'm seriously ;)thinking of a mini-tutorial herein on how to create, open and manipulate webpage style HTML files using EnableOA.

Enable can open and manipulate any ASCII file -- and HTML is ASCII code with a lot of html tags interspersed.

Anyone on for a tutorial?? /OAfurf

sure, I'm up for it, I know nothing about it so if you start with senior citizen
level I may be able to keep up! :cool:

Back