• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

expanded memory card

evildragon

Veteran Member
I'm looking for an 8-bit ISA expanded memory card that will work in my IBM PS/2 Model 25. I've been looking hard and long for one of these, and can't find one, and when I did, the computer didn't even notice it, even though I installed a memory manager (which i now forget what I even tried loading for it)..

I don't have much money at the moment, but would be willing to trade some stuff for it... I have some old ISA cards, sound cards, 486's, and I think I have a 487 somewhere, but with bent pins (but I could try and straighten them)...

ISA cards I can test, if I can figure out how to use the card ;) it's been a while since I opened this box..

EDIT: Oh, and it would be great if the card has memory in it ;) if that's not asking for too much.. if your willing to sell it for a low price, let me know.. i don't know how much they go for these days, so im putting a lot of trust in you guys..

I think I have one or two kicking around here somewhere, I'll try to dig them up and see what they are.

I think I have one or two kicking around here somewhere, I'll try to dig them up and see what they are.
if you do have one, and it does work, how do I get this PS/2 to use it? do i just use himem.sys? or do I need something else... (never got the luck of ever using expanded memory, only extended memory)

You've got to have the software that comes with the expanded memory card in order for your computer to see it. It usually consists of some sort of driver that ends in .sys that has to go in your autoexec.bat file. In addition, the card must first be configured (there should be some sort of setup utility that comes with it, to tell the computer how much RAM is on the expanded memory card, what address it starts at, etc.)

Every expanded memory card I've got comes with software just for that particular card, I don't believe there is a generic software that will work with just any card.

If you don't have the software for the card, the is no way the computer is even going to "know" of its existence.

For an 8088/6, no version of MS-DOS offers anyhing in the way of drivers for expanded memory. Himem.sys is only for expanded memory and won't help.

Back