• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

oh boy...

JDT

Veteran Member
I brought a IBM 5170 home last night and the wife flipped out (our appartment is very small, VERY) but I managed to apease her by putting a few other machines in storage.. fair enough.

So today, I get to work and one of my co-workers hands me, well not exactly hands, more of wheeled to me on a cart, a Quad Proc PIII XEON 4U rackmount server w/ 2GB of PC-100 or 133 RAM, no hard drives or scsi controllers though, 3 redundant power supplies, its a big bitch. oiy.. how do I explain this one? lol

When I do things like that I try to time it so it is during the warm parts of the year. The resulting spousal reaction usually involves me sleeping outside for a few days.

:)

Try hiding it in the trunk of your car.

Andrew Lynch

PS, just kidding. My wife is very tolerant of my old computers habit. We are both packrats and love old stuff. Different old stuff though...

When I do things like that I try to time it so it is during the warm parts of the year. The resulting spousal reaction usually involves me sleeping outside for a few days.

Try hiding it in the trunk of your car.

Andrew Lynch

PS, just kidding. My wife is very tolerant of my old computers habit. We are both packrats and love old stuff. Different old stuff though...

I could try the age old "Hey look, it followed me home, can I keep it?" routine? lol this will probably end up in storage untill I we get a house and I can make my server room in the basement...

Come on. You can be honest with us. Admit it.

You are planning on placing a house on top of your server warehouse.

Andrew Lynch

"No Honey, its the new electric furnace! Honest! Feel all the heat coming off of it?"

Do what I do..."Hey Hon, I'm going to fix it up and sell it" followed by, when it's still standing there, "I'm searching for parts to fix it, Doll".

If it hits the fan, try, "Yeah, Erik, the guy that runs the computer forum I'm on, said, when he gets some spare time, he's gonna drive over and help me get it up and running so I can sell it" :)

No scsi controllers?
You sure they're not onboard? Of course, RAID controller may not be, but I find it hard to believe a quad Xeon has no onboard SCSI! That would SUCK!

What brand/model? Just gotta hunt down hotswap drive carriers. Drives are cheap enough....I JUST MIGHT have a PCI IBM RAID controller for ya...mebbe mebbe mebbe....

Tony

Where do you find room for machines in a small apartment? If I didn't have a big basement I probably would not be collecting vintage equipment in the first place (hate having to rip one setup apart just to make room for another).

Is the storage unit expensive? I tell myself that if the item does not fit in the basement and I am thinking I need to rent a storage unit then I better not buy it.

Back