• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

486s with EISA slots

Druid6900

Veteran Member
Ok, what's the deal with EISA slots on 486 motherboards?

I have here a working PcChips/ILON 486 board (M423) with 4 16-bit ISA, 2 EISA and an 8-bit ISA. I got the specs for it (even though this particular board is strange in the fact that the EISA slots are black instead of brown, but, definately EISA) and I tried to track down a going price for it.

People want between $200 and $1000 bucks for these things!!!!!

Am I missing something here?

A thousand bucks each, eh? Ha ha ha. Not really. If the prices you see on ebay are from two sellers named PCEQUIP or NEWSGROUPS then you can totally disregard their idiot pricing schemes. A "good" eisa board will go for around $50. By good I mean 8 full EISA slots and at least 64MB memory capacity.

Your PCchips board, while interesting to look at, may not be worth much because it's likely not full EISA spec. Cheaper EISA boards had some problems....I think they did DMA poorly and didn't support BIOS mapping beyond 16MB.

Or, it's also possible that your board is not EISA at all but OPTi Local Bus (OLB). It came out around the same time as VLB, except they looked exactly like EISA slots, so you should be careful about what you plug in there.

Well, I plugged a EISA HD controller and a maxtor 380E and they seemed to like it, so, I'm assuming it's EISA :)

Ok, so, those 2 companies get their prices from ABC Resellers? LMAO

Thanks for the info

If you look long enough you can find a much cheaper EISA motherboard on ebay (its where I got my all EISA 486 DX50 motherboard and it was under $20 shipped with a bunch of cards).

One of my 486 systems has a HINT G486HVL motherboard
with 3 EISA slots and 2 VLB slots. (also have the original
manual for this motherboard). I built this system back in
the early 90's. I've never tried any EISA cards in there.
I think EISA was designed mainly for fast hard drive controllers
or networking cards.

I agree about the prices on eBay. I've noticed those
sellers price stuff way high, but somehow manage to
sell a few items.

I bought an Everex Cube on ebay not too long ago and opened it up to find it was eisa...wonders never cease. Anyway, I only paid about forty buck for it, plus shipping...

I sold an EISA-based Intel 486 on eBay about 6 months ago - 32MB memory DX33 with no hard drive for the grand total of £5 ($10) :lol:

Well, thanks a LOT guys, the dollar signs have been sufficiently cleared from my eyes LMAO.

I wonder if these places ever find people dumb enough to buy things as those prices?

Speaking of absurd prices , I noticed the following two items from
each of the before mentioned eBay sellers. These are both 3.5 / 720K
diskette drives. I'm wondering why anyone would pay this price.
Unless maybe this type of drive is used in some specialized equipment
and a 1.44 drive won't work.
Both drives were bought by the same person.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220118814579

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140129004949

Edit: newsgroups has over 20 of these 720K drives on Buy it NOW for $285 each :)

Maybe these guys know something we don't .......

Last edited:
I don't know what might be that special about them, but, I have a whole BOX of 720K drives including some that did double-duty as 830K drives in one of the Amigas.

Now, if I can find people dumb enough to pay 300 bucks for each of them.....

Although, I did sell some JU-257s to a client that were rather special in the fact that the ribbon connector and the power connector were opposite that of most other drives. The drives slid into bays in some legacy equipment they needed to keep working and regular ones wouldn't work (connectors on wrong sides). They took 3, but, I only charged them 20 bucks each. Guess I should have asked for 350 each LOL

Hi,

I'm looking to buy an Everex Cube. Been looking around, but no luck. anyone knows where to find them?! Love them to bits!

Cheers guys!

Last edited:
Everex cube

Everex cube

Sorry tossed mine to recycle 2 yrs ago :-( Was a nice computer for a DX33

However I do still have some the documention and some software if your interested. I also may have an EISA card sitting around also, although not sure on that.

A thousand bucks each, eh? Ha ha ha. Not really. If the prices you see on ebay are from two sellers named PCEQUIP or NEWSGROUPS then you can totally disregard their idiot pricing schemes.

I bought a card from one of these idiots, the card was dead, when i said the card was dead to the newsgroup guy, he went balistic

STAY CLEAR OF THESE NUTS!

Back