• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

windows 3.1

I assume boot right when you turn your computer on? From DOS:

c:>Copy con Autoexec.bat <enter>

cd windows <enter>

win <enter>
(ctrl+z) <enter>

Then reboot and get back to us on how it went. By the way, do not use the parenthis or <>. Those are just to let you know what to do, the rest is what you type in.

--Ryan

EDIT: Oh, and don't actually type c:>. That was just to let you know to type the command from the C:> prompt.

That will overwrite any existing autoexec.bat file, which is Not A Good Thing. The autoexec is loading files that are necessary for Winders to run, like himem.sys, etc. Best to edit the existing file and just add those two lines to the end. If your version of DOS is 5 or above, there is an edit program included. Just type edit autoexec.bat then use the pull down menus to edit and save the file.

--T

Wow, I was going to say it would be better to check if there already is a "autoexec.bat" file first.... Looks like T has it all covered already.

worked :D
thanks a bunch
also anyone know any good programs to have on a 3.11 computer i found a image program on my toshiba that made diskettes to return it to original out of the box status and 19 disk later i have a 3.11 computer but no program but windows entertainment pack and original software

Oooh, you have a Toshiba, too? What kind(we'd still be kinda on topic)? I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 235CDS with SelectBay, which means I can remove CD and make internal floppy, or make it an external flopy with internal CD.

Anyway, to get a tad back on topic, I didn't know there was an Autoexec.bat editing system. I'll take note of it.

--Ryan

Well, DOS 5.0 and later comes with edit.com, which is just a front end to qbasic.exe. So, at the DOS prompt, you can "edit config.sys" or whatever file you want. It can even be a file that doesn't exist yet, just save it at the end.

The programs to put on depend on what you like to do and its intended use. I don't know if Toshiba ever made desktops, so i'll assume you've got a laptop. For starters, you'll need some sort of word proccessor. Even though you think you don't need one, one day you'll be on a plane(or whatever) and say to yourself "crap, I knew I should have typed that report earlier!" and you'll need more that the text thing Windows 3.11 has. And if you dont install one, the same day you say the thing about the report, you'll say "crap! I knew I should have listened to Ryan!."

Then, you'll need entertainment, more than what Windows has to offer. I've got Doom I, II, the Duke Nukem series, and Quake I. But thats what I am interested in. Maybe you like text-based adventure games. Either way, install a few games, so you have choices of entertainment, and so when you beat one(again) when your away from home, you can turn to another. I also recomend downloading CD drivers from Toshiba, so you can listen to music and read stuff on CD.

Those are just the basics. Possibilities with Toshiba are endless, though. Maybe you'll want Flight Simulator, perhaps a home builder, or some informational disks. Oh, and as a last note, I have an intresting suggestion. What I did, is I copied all my Windows 3.11 disks to my newer computer HD, and all the drivers and stuff(execpet big games) I installed ontop my laptop. Then I burned it to a "recovery disc." SO if my laptop ever dies(I tend to kill old O/S, on accident) you don't have to download all those drivers and put 'em on floppy again. Just install DOS, put the CD driver on floppy disk, and copy the drivers back to the Toshiba for installation. You'll have to copy them though, as Toshiba likes to pack the drivers into self-inflating files, and you can't inflate files onto a CD with such an old PC.

Dang that was longer than intended!

--Ryan

toshiba 400 cdt selectbay too bought it for 10 dollors a few weeks ago came with a good battery(4 hour charge yay) external case for diskette drive, diskette drive, cd drive, the docking bay, and a copy of roller coaster tycoon lol

dang i wish your post had shone up before i did this im running 6.22 with toshiba supplemenrt any way to fix it hi menm still checks but smart drive dosn''t

allready got the word prossecor (seeing its my school computer) office 4.1.
trying to find games but not many are on the internet lol i want flight simulator but cant find it free and i want audio too it has mcs music rack and all but like to have win player

also can i install my windows wireless adapter on it easily or am i tethered to my ibm creditcard 2 ethernet adapter

Last edited:
Wireless? Oh, I doubt you'll get that to work. I am having trouble enough getting the XJACK card that was distributed with the system to work, but I know it can be done. Thats great you got your so cheap, I got mine for the same price with external floppy and a battery that holds a 1.5hr to 2hr charge. 4 hours? That amazing. Maybe I will have to buy a new one off eBay, as I didn't think the thing could acheive such greatness. I dunno what to do about the smart drive, mebbe one of our buds on here can fix that. I have Flight Simulator 1 I could image and send via e-mai, just PM me if you want it. Can't you just reinstall the O/S from the backup on the HD? I wouldn't do that for an hour or two, though, 'cause I'm sure someone here can fix it. I've also got the original 3.11 disks I could image, if you or anyone else wants me to. Now that I think of it, I already did. They are ready for e-mailing.

--Ryan

its a li-ion battery and it was original to the system but i need the rtc battery and the bios battery mine are dead and buried clock only runs with the computer on lol

btw im not using the original drive its in my safe deposit box allong with the originals to every computer ive "EVER" owned unfortunatly some one updated it to win 98 (not my fav) but luckly had the imaging software on it so i made it all original on a very noisy ibm travelmate hdd lol.so reinstalling the os would mean making a trip to the bank

Last edited:
Yeah, I need the same batteries. Although, my clock and BIOS battery have been working lately, but I recharged them. You should try the same. Just plug your system in, and RUN it for 2 days straight. Just plugging it in wont work, believe me, I figured that out the hard way. I left the thing running for two days, and then realized my mistake. I use mine for school too, I am in the 10th grade. My teachers let me type stuff up on it, and play video games when I am done with my work. My classmates arent too impressed with it, and question its abilities, but as I explain to them, it gets the job done, and plays cool old games. I had been considering creating DamnSmallLinix boot disks(with a K) for it, but that is a project for the days to come.

--Ryan

Seems me and you have the same setup, I'll tell you whats in mine. I guess I better fire the thing up...

C:\windows\smartdrv.exe /L
c:\Windows\net start (unless you enabled networking, you don't need this)
PATH=C:\;c:\windows;%path%
set temp=c:\windows\temp

The ones I knew you didn't need I didn't include, such as start commands for some drivers I need, like PC card stuff.

--Ryan

im in 11th grade my batterys are dead meaning there leaking all over the place
i cant keep the tthing aaway from people let me play this letme play that blah blah blah oh ahhh all that junk lol

Back