• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Enable OA

OK got the CD made

OK got the CD made

Thanks for the info on making the CD. Never have done one that way before. Now I do need the 14 digit code. I did check the CD and it is not hidden in any of the files there.

Now I am getting excited about all this.

Thanks
JJ Schooley:p

Up and Running

Up and Running

The code worked. Now I need to enlarge the screen work area. It is small about 1/8 the size of my monitor. :( I looked through the menues and didn't see a way to enlarge it. Thank God I have a large monitor. This version is alot diferant from the one that I was used to working with, but I can get used to it. Am going to load my old data and hopefully it will all work.:confused: If not I surely will be asking for help again.

Just need to be able to enlarge the work area.

Thanks
JJ Schooley

What version of Windows are you running? You can set the EnableOA window to various sizes. E.g. I use a window size of 10X18 which is quite large. I'm a neanderthal still using Win98.

Since you have a small work area, you say, it means you probably just need to adjust the size of the window. Do you have an ikon bar at the very top of the work area? There should be one if you're running in a Window [as distinct from "full screen"]. A Window is better than full screen because it enables you to copy/paste to and from EnableOA and other programs.

Can you see a dropdown menu with measurements like 4x6 or 5x12 [I have 10 sizing options and 4x6 and 5x12 are the smallest]. If so, you can experiment with sizing the window and see what's best. Let me know. /OAfurf

I am working with Windows XP Pro. I to was very stubborn and keept working with Win 98 it was the most stable windows out there, but I finally stitched to XP after years of not being able to find any more good games for 98. Plus as I probially don't need to tell you the majority of the new programs (good ones) require min of XP to use them. Since I started using it I have found it to be very stable and very easy to use. I do have one sitting next to this one that is 98 with a switch box so I can play all my older games.

I did look at all the pull down menus but don't see one that I can increase the window size. On status screen I only have 1 listing.

JJ Schooley

Enlarging OA Window

Enlarging OA Window

I would still like to enlarge the size of the OA window. I do not have any options as to the size of the window in any ot the pull down menues. I loaded only the VGA driver, should I have loaded more, if that is possiable. From what some have told me I should have some options on screen size.

HELP:cry:

JJ Schooley

I would still like to enlarge the size of the OA window. I do not have any options as to the size of the window in any of the pull down menus. I loaded only the VGA driver, should I have loaded more, if that is possible. From what some have told me I should have some options on screen size. HELP:cry: JJ Schooley

Ooops, some of us should have got back to you sooner on this. I'm sure you can enlarge the size of the OA window. And the VGA driver is sufficient.

First, are you sure you're running in a DOS window? In Win98 you have to click the Window option in the DOS properties; but of course if you're problem is that the Window is too small, it's not Full Screen mode. Can you access the DOS properties box for EnableOA? Are you using a command line statement or a batch file to launch EnableOA?

Right click on the icon used to launch it and select Properties. Then look for a screen tab and see what the screen is set to.

I use a command line statement in my properties PROGRAM tab as follows:

Code:
C:\EN450\ENDPM.EXE (C:\EN450,C:\EN450,C:\EN450,C:\EN450,C:\BETA2),999,m,@8

Get back to us here. /OAfurf

Thanks

Thanks

That right click on the short cut launcher worked. This is one of those times I wanted to smack myself. I build computers and repair problems on the side and once I read your info I went OMG you DA.:rolleyes: Thanks for the kick in the pants. Everything is up and running great. Now I can get things the way I want them.

JJ Schooley:thumbsup:

Bravo! And for even greater tech support in running the Big OA, make sure you're subscribed to thogscave [I seem to recall at least one message from you on the thogs list] as well as hanging in here on Vintage.

Once you get bitten by all that EnableOA can accomplish, you'll find yourself giving a freebie CD [or other media, or referring others to thogs for the iso file etc. etc.] to friends and clients who need a sophisticated suite to get the job done.

Peter W. who is the thogs admin has crafted a neat opening page. /OAfurf

New here

New here

Just found you guys, gotta say i'm surprised there is even a forum out here for enable, back in 1999 when it became obvious enable was going poof! I managed to get my hands on the 4.5 version for 'windows' never had much of a chance to play with it once y2k hit we moved to peachtree and that's when i said bye bye to my company only to come back 2 years later and find out they were still using it for a LOT of things (insert an 'i told ya so' here).

Anyway here it is seven years later and it's still being used for a few things and recently i was told to build an availability program for our staffers and get it up and running by next week (insert the 'you've been doing so much with so little for so long we now expect you to do anything with nothing' moniker here)

Sooooooo I sat down today and began writing the program (which i had already started before i left in anticipation) and when i inquired as to where the manuals went to was told they were thrown out years ago /sigh

Now I programmed the procedural language for years and not to blow my own horn but have done things that i was told by the 'professional enable/oa' programmers that initially set up the program back in the early 90's couldn't be done. I've even created macros that run other macros that create new macros and run them with nothing more than a keystroke but damn if i havn't forgotten more than a few things.

I have not read through all the posting here but i promise i will as soon as i'm done here but is there any chance maybe there is an online users guide available for the DBMS portion of the program particularily the .commands listings as well as technical stuff (yes i can use the online help inside the program but what a pain) and if anyone knows where i could get a copy of the 4.5 version i'd be ever so appreciative.

also after they went out of business we added several new users to our network and with no way to get more license numbers i actually created a program that took the 5 we had and used pattern recognition to get another 10 keys out of the program to use, if anyone has the need to add more users i have around 20 or so now and if you share yours with me i could probably get 10-15 additional numbers out of that one.

thanks for being here guys and if i can answer any questions i'd be happy to but for the time being i'll be asking more than answering!

Toby

lol the .popup command .... the macro that creates a macro i was talking about was basically a replacement for that command which i didn't know existed lol too funny can't wait to try it out heh

Last edited:
Ok read the whole thread

Ok read the whole thread

Sorry for mentioning the 'keys' thing but mine are useless for you guys anyway as they are 4.0 keys i've long since misplaced the 4.5 version but will download the iso here shortly.

I really really really would like manuals for the 4.5 version if they are in the .iso in a printable format that's great otherwise anyone have a link to where they might be stored?

thanks again and looking forward to sharing new fun stuff!

I really really really would like manuals for the 4.5 version if they are in the .iso in a printable format that's great otherwise anyone have a link to where they might be stored?

thanks again and looking forward to sharing new fun stuff!

Toby: first where are you located? We've got guys here and on thogs from 3 continents using EnableOA. Second, get signed onto thogscave and ask Peter W. if he might have an extra set of manuals. Pete actually compiled those docs or at least most of them. The docs are two big thick grey looseleaf binders, quite heavy, plus other booklets issued later, e.g. the Power User's toolkit.

But anyway what's wrong with the online stuff? I use it routinely. It's basically the manuals in online format. And it can be printed out by copying any section to the Clipboard, then pasting into a wpf window and printing it. Which means instead of a heavy set, you can print it out bit by bit as needed. E.g. you said you were interested in the commands listing. Hit F1 anywhere within Enable, then F10 for the topline menu, under BOOKS go down and click APPENDICES and it will bring you to where you can see the dot commands listed and you can go through them one by one, print this one, skip that one, etc.

Plus you always have us Vintagers ;) acting as live manuals. Don't hesitate to ask. We like having you onboard. :cool:/OAfurf

thanks!

thanks!

I'm from the US - Minneapolis specifically.

I tried that whole online thing, problem is i'm a tactile person plus it's been so long since i've done ANY programming in Enable that it's nice to have them printed out next to me so i can flop to what i need when i'm working on it.

Anyway I managed to find someone with the manuals so i'm all set :cool:

one thing however, this new .popup command i found the wpf on the doghouse but it's a wpf file (must be formatted for 4.5?) i'm working in 4.0 and it looks like crap when i try to print it out i've tried importing into word and excel and every other editor i have i get the general idea but the syntax evades me as it's hard to follow the formatting when every third character is some kind of formatting ascii code and whatnot.

like i had mentioned i created a macro that does basically the same thing but as was previously mentioned it is VERY slow someone mentioned 2-3x slower.. mine is at least 10x slower (i would guess).

anyway a clean txt version of the correct syntax and maybe an example if someone has a code snipit where they have used it would help out a LOT.

I am starting to get back into the swing of things however, spent today formatting reports and building menus {tab}p{&end}{^f10}1 hehe

p.s. i'm including the report that used to do our payments (this was the program the developers of our system said couldn't be done) it's just an example of my coding practices and i'm sharing it just so you can see where i left off years ago it's not terribly complicated but i did it without using a single goto statement muhahah which btw i was taught any program that requires a goto statement is a program that should be rewritten

I also rewrote this program using the .do case because all the .if then statements started looking like maybe i was smoking something i shouldn't have been when i wrote it lmao

Attachments

• PAYMENT.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
yea i tried that

yea i tried that

Word would have imported it easy enough if it was a word perfect file. I think it's an Enable 4.5 WPF and just doesn't convert real well back to 4.0 maybe.

anyway a clean txt version of the correct syntax and maybe an example if someone has a code snipit where they have used it would help out a LOT.

Have you tried saving it in your 4.0 version as an ASCII file, then opening the latter file in your 4.0 and see if it removed the funny formatting codes?

Here's a code snippit from a Dublin doctor's office app:

Code:
.case sys:lchar= 1075                 ;;3
.read POP index sys:record = 1
.let indexval = visits.sys:numrec
.let WHERE = "VCARDNO = "&'"'&cardno&'"'
.begin popup BOXTITLE,ROW,COL,HYT,WID,BOXSET,[DBNAME],[DBINDEX],
INDEXVAL,SELECTOR,,[WHERE],CURSTART,STRTSYSREC,PROMPT,FLAG,
REFRESH, SEPCHAR,[TEXT1],[TEXT2],[TEXT3];
 .if sys:lchar = 7181         ;; {Enter}

Note that here I'm using a separate POP database. This is optional and would likely be used when one is using .popup in reading several tables [or even other apps] and wants to store the field definitions for each table all in one place, i.e. in another database [it can be called anything, I called it POP]. Sort of like what EnableOA calls indirect addressing. It also means you can easily reuse certain common elements like the design of the box, the field separation characters, the width of the rows and columns, the design or the boxset, your customized wording of the Prompt, etc.

Hang in there, you'll get it. /OAfurf

Not sure why you wouldn't just upgrade to 4.5 from the Thogscave site. 4.5 has some very worthwhile enhancements over 4.0, from memory and the latest version on Thogscave has some subtle improvements again over the earlier version of 4.5 that I had been using. Since you have probably read my earlier posts you will know that I think .popup is magnificent!
(http://www.thogscave.com/enable/Enable_O_A.html is the link)

suthnsun

Oh I will

Oh I will

I fully intend on upgrading, it's just that it's been 7 years since i've done any serious programming in Enable so i'm taking it slowly. I can't afford to break what we already have in place and since i dont have the documentation (yet) for the 4.5 (currently browsing the goodies .iso now) i just want to be sure nothing breaks.

we mostly use it for printing out our doctors orders (485's for those in the know) and i know that 4.5 uses a different method for formatting text in 'windows' than it did in the pure dos version 4.0 (that's what i recall from back in 199x when we looked into upgrading) of course once we hit y2k and they went poof we moved away from it mostly (payroll and billing through peachtree) but kept a lot of our staffing and tracking programs from enable in place.

anyway thank you for the popup example i can't wait to start using it!

Toby

Have you tried saving it in your 4.0 version as an ASCII file, then opening the latter file in your 4.0 and see if it removed the funny formatting codes?/OAfurf

I tried that when i try to open it in 4.0 it simply says not a WP file and kicks me out immediately, i tried using the view file utility and i was able to see the text formatted correctly but no luck getting it out in a viable format that is useful to me.

I guess i'll have to install the 4.5 and run it locally to get to all those .wpf files

incidentally the .wpf files on the goodies .iso open just fine under version 4.0

Toby

About that file that kicked you out and wouldn't open. If you had saved it as an ASCII file, it naturally wouldn't be a WP format. Enable should have then given you a menu of file types and ask you to pick one. Since ASCII is everyone's "plain vanilla" it should have had no problem offering the menu of file types with the cursor on ASCII. To save as ASCII plain text, use F9 S A D or if you want to avoid overwriting the existing file use F9 S A N.

You also mentioned y2k. Be aware that there's a slight glitch in the db module [not however in SS] where a 2000+ date may show as 19XX. Enable saves dates as five digit integers and even if it doesn't show correctly on the screen, it will be correct internally. So to make it show correctly you can define a date field and specify the date picture similar to:

.define bestdate as date using "20YY/zMM/zDD"
or if you prefer, "zMM/zDD/20YY".

Again, this is only for screen show. If there's a date calculation, it will calculate correctly but might not show correctly unless you have defined the date picture similar to the above. /Oafurf

I appreciate your caution, I think I would still install Enable 4.5 immediately in a new directory - it won't have any effect at all on the old version, you can even run them side by side under Windows if you want. You mentioned 'pure Dos Version' - if that means you are not using ENDPM.EXE , then you won't know yourself once you start using Enable with extended memory - more memory than you ever dreamed of (I used to run under OS/2 but that was old hardware with much smaller memory).

I suggest you re-download those two popup files from thogscave and join the mailing list also. It also occurs to me, the file enmailt4.fw is a functional procedural language Enable emailing program which uses .popup for email addresses - it might be worth downloading that and the sendemail.zip program as well - then you will be able to send and program email direct from OA procedures, WPF files etc.
suthnsun

Back