• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Basic

Terry Yager

Veteran Member
I know, google is my friend, but I dread the thought of digging thru 10,000,000 hits to find sum'n somebody here might have at their fingertips.

What I'm looking for is a small version of BASIC that'll run from ROM on an i8080. Anyone?

--T

There are various dialects of "tiny basic", e.g. palo alto etc. Do a google on

tiny basic 8080

how small do you want it?

(o/t - pen works brilliantly, now to measure it!)

I was hoping for 4K or less, else I'll have to upgrade my S-100 box (ouch...not cheap). I know it's possible, cause my homebrewn 6802-based mochine has only 2K of RAM, and 4K EPROM, containing a very tiny BASIC, which loads into RAM at boot-time. My 8080 CPU board will only see up to 4K of ROM. I know of a couple of different Tiny BASIC versions, but they use Z80 code.

--T

Last edited:
(o/t - pen works brilliantly, now to measure it!)

Yeah, I tested it on Agnes before sending it. I've had quite a few of 'em pass thru my hands, and only ever saw one that didn't work. I never could figger out why though. Do they lose their magnetism, or what? BTW, you didn't mention what you're using it with? (Just curious, not trying to be nosey).

--T

Last edited:
S-100 Memory upgrade not cheap? What do you call "cheap"?

Well, somewhere under $60.00 for 16K would be refreshing to find.

Magnetic pens???

Yeah, I've never really understood how the Wacom digitizers work. Some of my tablets use an electromagnetic pen, which require batteries and contain components, but the early Wacom pens just seem to be a stick with a button that does nothing at all. I just don't grok 'em? I mean, I dig the way that capacitative and resistive touch screens work, but the Wacom thinggys have me baffled.

--T

I was hoping for 4K or less, else I'll have to upgrade my S-100 box (ouch...not cheap). I know it's possible, cause my homebrewn 6802-based mochine has only 2K of RAM, and 4K EPROM, containing a very tiny BASIC, which loads into RAM at boot-time. My 8080 CPU board will only see up to 4K of ROM. I know of a couple of different Tiny BASIC versions, but they use Z80 code.

--T

Hi
Palo Alto Tiny Basic is 2K and uses 8080 codes. You just
need to supply a terminal routine.
I have it on my Poly-88 and it fits in 2ea 2708s. The version
that I have is made to be extended as well. I added the ability
to write to the tape and added a peek/poke. These extentions
exist in RAM so when I save them, they automatically load when
I restore what ever program I entered in BASIC.
Dwight

Oh, kewl! Now all I need is to find the fifty buck$ to buy that issue from some eBay swindler...

--T

Hi
You can find a listing of the version that runs on the Poly88
at:

http://www.microplexus.net/projects/z80/prog/general/devel_tools_langs/basic/Poly88-TinyBASIC/

I created the listing by combining the DrDobbs listing with the
modified code in my ROMs. I'd posted it to some web page a few
years back and since then it has spread to a number of sites.
If you have a terminal in/out, it should be easy to patch it into
most any machine. One might need to move some of the locations
around as well.
I can dig up the source for the code I wrote that extends it
with peek/poke commands, if your interested.
Dwight

Last edited:
Back