• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5150 601 Floopy Error

frozenfire75i

Banned
I Was Working On My IBM 5150, I Moved The Floppy Over One Bay Installed An HDD And Got 601 And 1701 Error So I Uh Hooked The The HDD Still Got 601 Error No Matter What Slot (Even The One It Was In) Or Cable Or Agrement I Try I Still Get The 601 Error? What's Up It Worked Fine Before I Toke Apart? I Did Not Brake Anything That I Know Of!

How Brittle Should These System Be? I Rember Sticking In The HDD Card And it Sound Like It Was Cracking In A 1000 Pices (The Slot)! Every Thing Makes That Noise Like That Is That Normal Like The Keyboard Socket Display Port ECT Will It Brake On Me If It Sounds That Bad? Or Is Ok?

Thanks Eric

My question could be silly ... have you changed the MB switches, telling it that you have only a floppy installed ?

601 is "General diskette or adapter failure".

1701 is "Fixed disk or adapter general error".

Do you have any spare cards/systems to interchange parts to diagnose?

Forget the HDD for now, just get it booting from floppy. Could be a faulty card, drive or cable...

Last edited:
Might be helpful for new readers. If you have a 601 error, often these errors arise because you connected the Floppy Disk Drive with the Floppy Controller using one of the intermediate connectors. Always use the connectors on the END points of the cable, not in between.

Back